Help with the next purchase….

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 08:17 PM
Gators112 is infamous around these parts
Help with the next purchase….

Hello all,
Just a quick intro. I recently sold my 15' GT3 due to needing backseats. It was a perfect car for me, but it was becoming a garage queen. Prior to GT3, I had 991C2S. With that said, I need some guidance as what the replacement should be. It will be a semi-DD as I'll probably put 5000 miles/yr on it. I don't plan on tracking and I don't need to have the fastest car on the road. The main thing that I want is something that will be fun driving around town, but haul my wife and kid at the same time. So here is my checklist:
- Must have 4 seats
- Must sound great and perform like it sound. I had SW bypass installed on my GT3 and love the noise it make. However, I had to rev it up to over 5K for it to hear anything
- Must be an "event" to drive but practical enough that I can take it place to place.

I had one forced induction car prior (S7) but wasn't a fan of the non-linear acceleration, lag, and sound. However, I love the performance and look of the 991 TTS Cab so I'm willing to give it a try. So far I'm floating an idea of FF, 991TTS Cab, 991GTS Cab. What do you all think or am I missing anything? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for all the rambling and thank you in advance

Old 04-14-2015, 11:02 PM
G-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant future
I would take a serious look at the GTS.
Read Porsche Excellence from a couple months back & the review was very positive. You'll find many similarities to your recent car & the creature comforts will be there as well. The 991 car has been seriously overhauled compared to it's 997 predecessor. I have a Turbo S & for a semi-dIly driver & taking kids/wife out, it's way to much $. Sure the car is mega powerful/fast, but really do you want that? The 991 redesign is such a superior car to the 997, even the base Carrera is a lot of car.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:23 AM
AndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of light
991 GTS Cab based on your preferences.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:47 AM
Thanks guy! I haven't driven a 991GTS but have driven a boxster GTS at Porsche Roadshow. It was very impress with it and I love the overrun sound. The only reason I was thinking about 991TTS Cab is that I like the look of it (the side intake and active aero) and it's the only 991 engine that I haven't own. However, I do not need all that power as I'll never get to use it legally on the street.
What do you guys think of FF? I love the sound v12 FCar makes. It's also very spacious and aren't mile sensitive as other FCar model. I would pick up a 2012 for about 190-200K. However, that's a lot of money for a semi-DD.
Thanks!!

Old 04-15-2015, 09:09 AM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Gators112
Thanks guy! I haven't driven a 991GTS but have driven a boxster GTS at Porsche Roadshow. It was very impress with it and I love the overrun sound. The only reason I was thinking about 991TTS Cab is that I like the look of it (the side intake and active aero) and it's the only 991 engine that I haven't own. However, I do not need all that power as I'll never get to use it legally on the street.
What do you guys think of FF? I love the sound v12 FCar makes. It's also very spacious and aren't mile sensitive as other FCar model. I would pick up a 2012 for about 190-200K. However, that's a lot of money for a semi-DD.
Thanks!!
So you think a GTS has more hp than an FF? And that the GTS power isn't usable but somehow the FF power is?

Get the 911 cab GTS. If you need AWD get the 4 GTS.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:22 AM
AndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of light
Thought that you wanted a cabriolet? If you are considering the FF, you should look at the Panamera GTS, which is far more practical and seats four quite comfortably. I will withhold comment on the styling of the FF. The overrun on the PGTS is likely to meet with your approval. The back seats in the 991 are only suitable for short trips for those who are no taller than about five feet. Are you sure that you want to subject you children to them?

Old 04-15-2015, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by speedsterr
So you think a GTS has more hp than an FF? And that the GTS power isn't usable but somehow the FF power is?

Get the 911 cab GTS. If you need AWD get the 4 GTS.
To me, the most important thing is not about power but the enjoyment of driving around town at "legal" speed. The problem I had with the GT3 was that I had to rev it so high or drive it so fast to get any joy out of it. I ended up driving like an a**hole every time I take it out.

FF is quite enjoyable even at lower Rev. I believe the valves about at lower RPM to hear that V12 sound. It feels excited even a lower speed.

FWIW, I think you guys talked me out of TTS and will decide between FF and GTS. I hope I like GTS as it will save me a ton of money.

Last edited by Gators112; 04-15-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by AndrewP
Thought that you wanted a cabriolet? If you are considering the FF, you should look at the Panamera GTS, which is far more practical and seats four quite comfortably. I will withhold comment on the styling of the FF. The overrun on the PGTS is likely to meet with your approval. The back seats in the 991 are only suitable for short trips for those who are no taller than about five feet. Are you sure that you want to subject you children to them?
The most important thing to me is to have something that's exciting to drive (as you can probably tell...the exhaust note top that list). I was looking at a Cab due to be able to hear the engine notes a bit more and a bit more fun to drive (I live in FL). We have other cars that will be use for longer trips. However, I would still need some sort of backseat for a quick run around town.

FWIW, I didn't care for the styling of FF at first until I saw it in person. It's still not my favorite FCar by any mean.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:45 AM
TAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond repute
The only reason I was thinking about 991TTS Cab is that I like the look of it (the side intake and active aero)
Don't buy a TTS just because you like the active aero since full deployment is at 185 mph. Mine is only active at the local cars and coffee events if someone asks to see it. The front bladder is also several thousand to repair if it scrapes too hard. Good thing is that Champion is designing a fixed spoiler that would eliminate a damaged one.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:35 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
To me, the most important thing is not about power but the enjoyment of driving around town at "legal" speed. The problem I had with the GT3 was that I had to rev it so high or drive it so fast to get any joy out of it. I ended up driving like an a**hole every time I take it out.

FF is quite enjoyable even at lower Rev. I believe the valves about at lower RPM to hear that V12 sound. It feels excited even a lower speed.

FWIW, I think you guys talked me out of TTS and will decide between FF and GTS. I hope I like GTS as it will save me a ton of money.
If it's about looking "cool" while driving 30 mph. I think a maserati would suit you well. It sounds great and it's pretty cheap compared to your other 2 options. Plus the kids will fit in the back comfortably.

You could get the ghibli too if you wanted AWD. I probably spelled the name wrong. Or a grand turismo mc vert.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:05 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Hello all,
Just a quick intro. I recently sold my 15' GT3 due to needing backseats. It was a perfect car for me, but it was becoming a garage queen. Prior to GT3, I had 991C2S. With that said, I need some guidance as what the replacement should be. It will be a semi-DD as I'll probably put 5000 miles/yr on it. I don't plan on tracking and I don't need to have the fastest car on the road. The main thing that I want is something that will be fun driving around town, but haul my wife and kid at the same time. So here is my checklist:
- Must have 4 seats
- Must sound great and perform like it sound. I had SW bypass installed on my GT3 and love the noise it make. However, I had to rev it up to over 5K for it to hear anything
- Must be an "event" to drive but practical enough that I can take it place to place.

I had one forced induction car prior (S7) but wasn't a fan of the non-linear acceleration, lag, and sound. However, I love the performance and look of the 991 TTS Cab so I'm willing to give it a try. So far I'm floating an idea of FF, 991TTS Cab, 991GTS Cab. What do you all think or am I missing anything? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for all the rambling and thank you in advance
My other car is a E63 S AMG sedan with Renntech full tune and Renntech sport mufflers. Seats 5. Big trunk. Super loud and aggressive sound. And 716 Bhp and 859 lbs ft of torque.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:19 AM
You should drive a Panemera GTS before deciding

The most important thing to me is to have something that's exciting to drive (as you can probably tell...the exhaust note top that list). I was looking at a Cab due to be able to hear the engine notes a bit more and a bit more fun to drive (I live in FL). We have other cars that will be use for longer trips. However, I would still need some sort of backseat for a quick run around town.

FWIW, I didn't care for the styling of FF at first until I saw it in person. It's still not my favorite FCar by any mean.
The exhaust note of the 4.8 liter NA engine on the GTS is very entertaining. The bark on startup turns heads, but it is not overbearing like others. The overrun on sports exhaust setting is also fun. Importantly, there is no drone on the highway even with SE on. Maybe the Maz is a candidate because they are boy-racer loud, but you may see a lot more of them on the road than the Pan GTS, if exclusivity factor means anything to you. Yes the rear side profile of the Panamera is controversial, but once you experience the driving dynamics of a PGTS, with all it's passenger room and large trunk, the side view is just another example of Porsche's form following function. The next Panamera will be wider, longer and lighter and will have a newly designed NA V-8 for the GTS, but its basic exterior design is not likely to change much.

You want a four door stop light racer, get an AMG of M. You want a satisfying daily driver, get the PGTS. This is from a guy that came very close to buying a '15 S8, which I believe is quite competitive, if not superior to the AMG's and M's in 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. S8 has awesome interior and tech, power output and surprisingly good handling, but is not at all like driving a PGTS on clear entry and exit ramps. Also, the PGTS tracks better than other large luxury sedans on the highway and even without dual pane glass is relatively quiet compared to the others, but still lets the driver feel the road.

Might have to wait on a PGTS order but it would be worth it, IMO.

Last edited by AndrewP; 04-18-2015 at 08:22 AM.