Tracking your car- Risk avoidance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 05:32 PM
Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !

Hey all,

I've been racing ChumpCar, LeMons, local AutoX etc. for years. I recently sold a C6 Z06 and bought the 991 TTs I currently have. The C6Z06 was mod'ed pretty heavily and I was worried it would be too much of a handful on track days even though I owned it outright and wouldnt have suffered much financially from wrecking it.

How do you track, confidently, such an expensive car?

Have you been on the track enough to know your car is in little-to-no danger?

Do you drive or choose events specifically to avoid that risk? Do you take out track-day insurance?

Thanks for the help. I'd love to get this thing out there.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:44 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !

Tracking always poses a risk. Especially if you want to push to the limit. Have no real advice for you other than to make sure your tires are good and your car is mechanically sound and that you keep your wits about you when you drive.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:03 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
I have tracked my car since I bought it 13 years ago. I like you was concerned about the potential lose. I partially mitigated this risk by buying "Track insurance". For the about $300 a weekend or $100 a day it gave me piece of mind that I would not be stuck with a $100,000+ bill. I also only take the Porsche on the track with the local PCA. I did try some other organizations for track days. But when the 1982 buick put me off track to avoid contact I knew this was not the place for my new Turbo.
Get your car on the track. It is what these cars are made for. If you get a rainy day the car will make you feel like a pro driver. It is in another league!! I hope this helps

Old 09-21-2015, 05:50 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Visceral
Hey all,

I've been racing ChumpCar, LeMons, local AutoX etc. for years. I recently sold a C6 Z06 and bought the 991 TTs I currently have. The C6Z06 was mod'ed pretty heavily and I was worried it would be too much of a handful on track days even though I owned it outright and wouldnt have suffered much financially from wrecking it.

How do you track, confidently, such an expensive car?

Have you been on the track enough to know your car is in little-to-no danger?

Do you drive or choose events specifically to avoid that risk? Do you take out track-day insurance?

Thanks for the help. I'd love to get this thing out there.

Pay it off then look at track insurance. Make sure it's in good running order and run events where safety is the first concern.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:42 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !

Originally Posted by wrs
Pay it off then look at track insurance. Make sure it's in good running order and run events where safety is the first concern.
I bought track insurance for the day I flogged my car around circuit of the Americas at Goldrush rally seven. It was more than 1000 bucks for the day. The coverage is limited to $150,000. I could not find any insurance market that would provide more coverage than that.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:14 PM
G-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant future
tracking the turbo S

People think that when you get insurance all is good to go & you're covered.
Your biggest concern should be safety. Get a good helmet & Hans device, & drive within your limits. Insurance doesn't cover the broken neck, or diffuse axonal injury of the brain! If you drive with PCA events they often have insurance that go along with it.

As you already have lots of experience racing, you know all this stuff. You'll be amazed at how well the turbo s handles on the track & how fast it is. The car holds it's own with the GT3.

That being said though, it's not a race car & shouldn't be driven like one. Get a used cup car if you want to go fast & furious with a 911 on the track. The turbo S is a touring car with track capability & why push the limits with a price tag north of $200K

We have a short technical track here & I just go out enjoy the car. It's handling with the 4 wheels steering, torque vectoring, etc is incredible. However I also like to enjoy the car as a daily driver & don't want to have it in the shop all the time getting brakes serviced, new tires, & track wear & tear. These cars are expensive to service & the bits/pieces that go with them are big $ too. Unless you're like a lot of guys on this forum that can afford 2 or 3 sports cars or get a new car every year, I'd just go out & enjoy couple times a month.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:29 PM
Carjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud of
Worriers worry. They worry about where to park the car, what the weather is going to be like, etc. Don't be a worrier. You already bought a ticket to ride so enjoy it! You could die tomorrow taking a s#!t.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:43 PM
Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !
All of my HANS devices require harness shoulder belts, and I don't plan on installing harnesses in the car. I have the race car and I get loads (often too much) seat time during the endurance races. It's fun, especially in the rain, and I've only been "off" a few times and never walled it or even needed the tow-truck to pull me back onto asphalt.

I'll look into PCA track days and how much the insurance costs.