Cobb/ByDesign/RSW 991 Turbo S Goes Stage 3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 10:21 AM
Former Vendor
Sales@RSW is a splendid one to beholdSales@RSW is a splendid one to beholdSales@RSW is a splendid one to beholdSales@RSW is a splendid one to beholdSales@RSW is a splendid one to beholdSales@RSW is a splendid one to beholdSales@RSW is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Cobb/ByDesign/RSW 991 Turbo S Goes Stage 3

RobRob's 991 Turbo S Getting serious!

After the first round of intake mods comprised of a IPD Y Pipe, Plenum and an AWE intake box it was time to beef up the cooling capabilities and install some more serious intercoolers. Here is a great shot showing how much beefier the upgraded units from By-Design are versus the stock ones:

Check out the billet end tanks, quality welds, a high fin density ratio core, and beautifully machined surfaces for clamping on the intercooler piping and hoses.

Installation is pretty straight forward according to the technicians just requires removal the rear bumper and it’s amazing the view you have.

Here you can see the stock intercoolers still mounted:

The ducting and airboxes around the intercooler show how well engineered the car comes from the factory!

Once the old intercoolers are removed this is what the car looks like from a side view:

Gotta love those billet end tanks and the OEM style mounting points. Lots of companies make aftermarket intercoolers but very few fit this well!

The finished product with the Intercoolers safely tucked away in their shrouds….

As if the intercoolers weren’t enough the car was back to the shop before we could even blink. We wanted to run the car again at the track with the boost leak situation resolved but the next round of upgrades arrived before we had the chance.

Typically here at RSW we prefer to do testing on each individual round of upgrades to give a clear picture of how much benefit each component gives, but given the fact that this car is going to be heavily upgraded in the future we decided to throw on a full exhaust!

According to the staged upgrade mantra after intake and intercoolers the jump to stage 3 is completed once headers and the cat back exhaust are done. Those following our other threads are no stranger to what the back of this car looks like but here is a good shot showing the stock exhaust.

Stock, efficient but restrictive headers:

New Inconel headers with stock turbos hanging off:

I wouldn’t be surprised if something shiny goes in there soon….

Close-ups of the runners:

Headers installed on both banks:

Technicians noted that the manifolds fit like stock, no wrangling or bending or doing anything crazy to get them into place. Then it was onto the rear section:

Gaskets and hardware were included:

Here you can see the race-pipes, headers, and rear muffler section all in place. Only thing missing is the tips:

Whole lotta goodness going on in there…. AWE S-Flo Intake, IPD Plenum, IPD Y-Pipe, Kline Headers, Kline Exhaust, By Design Intercoolers, Cobb Accesport, and some one-off custom RSW work that’s hidden away 

If anyone has any questions or comments feel free as always to post up on here, email, pm, or call us directly at 908-223-7477!

Last edited by Sales@RSW; 11-02-2015 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Y Pipe mixup
Old 11-02-2015, 11:45 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Great write up and pics! It has been a pleasure working with you guys and I am glad to have you as a resource for the local guys out there. Already getting great feedback from a few referrals!

Old 11-02-2015, 11:55 AM
Former Vendor
Sales@RSW is a splendid one to beholdSales@RSW is a splendid one to beholdSales@RSW is a splendid one to beholdSales@RSW is a splendid one to beholdSales@RSW is a splendid one to beholdSales@RSW is a splendid one to beholdSales@RSW is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Great write up and pics! It has been a pleasure working with you guys and I am glad to have you as a resource for the local guys out there. Already getting great feedback from a few referrals!

Thanks for the awesome Intercoolers.

Nice to have a new face in an established market!

Old 11-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !
Did I read that right or wrong... you guys went form a BBi Y-pipe to an IPD Y-pipe? I didnt know BBi made one. What was the reason to move to the IPD?

Also, I'm really interested in the sound of the car. It looks like it could sound pretty savage (or not) depending on the Kline and the equal length headers. Also, how much popping there is on decel.

I love that AWE intake. Its such a shame to put the covers over it.

Thanks!

Last edited by Visceral; 11-02-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:15 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
IPD and BBI are literally in the same building and work super closely. People confuse it. But it's the IPD unit. The car is getting another shot of crack now lol. Hopefully some vids after that unless the guys have one...

If anyone would like I have several I can text over (easier than email)

Old 11-02-2015, 12:17 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Visceral
Did I read that right or wrong... you guys went form a BBi Y-pipe to an IPD Y-pipe? I didnt know BBi made one. What was the reason to move to the IPD?

Also, I'm really interested in the sound of the car. It looks like it could sound pretty savage (or not) depending on the Kline and the equal length headers. Also, how much popping there is on decel.

I love that AWE intake. Its such a shame to put the covers over it.

Thanks!
Good catch on the Y-Pipe, always was IPD, just got it through BBI!

It sounds pretty damn mean, popping on decel is often and LOUD.

If you drive it in non sport or sport plus and cruise very livable, at high revs, on decel, it sounds like machine gun fire, think group-b style stuff

It's glorious, if you're into that sort of thing, for some reason I prefer decel burble and crackled to WOT noises for the most part!

Old 11-02-2015, 12:58 PM
Former Vendor
Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !
Great write up guys!

Those beautiful pics need some videos to match them
That exhaust needs to be heard!
Amazing work RSW/Sam!

Old 11-02-2015, 01:02 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Felix_Kline
Great write up guys!

Those beautiful pics need some videos to match them
That exhaust needs to be heard!
Amazing work RSW/Sam!
Unfortunately it's hard to capture good video of the exhaust noises without taking a quick drive to mexico.... car is here at the shop now getting that extra shot of espresso Sambo was talking about, will try to get some good clips before it goes back to Rob again!

Old 11-02-2015, 01:10 PM
Former Vendor
Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !
Yes, A short ride with glowing headers is the proper way of recording
Rob will love it!

Old 11-02-2015, 02:15 PM
itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !
State of the art shop with knowledgeable techs, don't hesitate to leave your car with these guys

Old 11-02-2015, 02:41 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by itguy
State of the art shop with knowledgeable techs, don't hesitate to leave your car with these guys

Thanks for the kind words!