More slips, great reaction times last night -- Car #30 is me

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 08:07 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by shifter_
There seems to be something off with wrs' car.

The dyno numbers were lower than expected and these times are not up to the stage 2/3 expectation.
When were the dyno numbers lower than expected and what was expected? The connector hose blew off on the last run and that one already had peak torque of 646 ft lbs which was about 13 higher than the previous run. Here is the chart if you can't remember. HP was already at 532 and if it followed the trend probably should have ended up around 565-570.

I can't expect Cobb to re-run it for me since it was just in conjunction with the tune but I am not sure what you were expecting. It has been pointed out that if I went catless then it would probably do a lot better. Should I do that just to make the car what everyone "expects"?

I have collected enough data that demonstrates what the problem is at the dragstrip and I posted it here in the thread, as Karl says, tires will make the difference and if I want to run better times I will have to get better tires. Not sure how much that will help with what are already better trap speeds than those posted by the lower ET slips.

My personal goal is to get 138 and 10.3-10.4. If I have to get some cheap rear rims to ugly up the car with for the dragstrip, I might do that as a first attempt at making it faster but I would like to buy stock wheels for the rear if anyone has Turbo 1 for sale.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bydesignstage3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	432727  

Last edited by wrs; 11-15-2015 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:08 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
wrs, is that the same track you ran with the FVD piggyback?

The vbox data with 131/132 trap seems much more likely with the 103/104mph 1/8 trap and those times.

Seems odd that the track would be considerably higher on every run unless there's something wrong with their trap system.

Which would make sense with the FVD showing 135+ trap as well.

I think with the right tires you'd be down in the 10.2/3 range like the other slips.
Yes it is the same track and the 135 with the FVD piggyback was on the second week they had reopened so there may have been some calibration done since on their measurement system. What do you suppose is wrong with their system since these things are just not that complex and Performance Box data is mostly not that reliable or consistent based on the way it is collected. I used my Performance Box on Friday night and a bunch of the runs were invalidated by the vboxtools software because it claimed bad slopes. Now the track hasn't changed but the vboxtools didn't invalidate the data in previous runs or even all the runs on Friday night. What that suggests is that the Performance Box is not a very reliable tool for measurement as compared to the track. There were errors in the data collected by the box from the satellite.

The Performance Box data I have that was deemed valid by the vboxtools is still showing slower trap speeds than what was reported by the track. Furthermore, I have also shown that the same problem is the case with the comparison between Texas Motorplex in Ennis, Tx 225 miles north and the Performance Box data. I don't trust the Performance Box data that much, it's a very rough tool.

In addition, the 1/8 mile trap speeds are higher this week with slightly lower 1/4 trap speeds than that first week I went there with the FVD piggyback. I don't think we can say the car hasn't changed because we have clear dyno data that shows it's making more power and torque in this setup than it was with the FVD piggy back.

Last edited by wrs; 11-15-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:09 AM
Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !
Wow those 60' times are terrible as are the 1/4 times and trap speeds.

That was going on?
Shifter do you have time slips that are not so terrible? I think this is kicking ***

Old 11-15-2015, 09:10 AM
Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wrs
This was the fastest run the second. The first one I let off at the end and still beat the poor c5 vette that ran me but here is the second one with TC on and the ByDesign/Cobb Stage 3 100 octane map. That was a 1000cc drag bike on the other side.
Great runs what tires were you running?

Old 11-15-2015, 09:24 AM
wrs
Originally Posted by Markblackwell
Great runs what tires were you running?
PZeros at 30lbs on the rear and 34 on the front.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:45 AM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Markblackwell
Shifter do you have time slips that are not so terrible? I think this is kicking ***
Yes I posted mine.

Running just the GIAC Stage 2 on p zeros I was at 1.59 60' and 10.7 at 129mph.

I haven't gotten a chance to hit the strip since going to Stage 3, but I will be very disappointed if I'm not around 10.5@ 134+

Old 11-15-2015, 11:56 AM
wrs
Yes I posted mine.

I haven't gotten a chance to hit the strip since going to Stage 3, but I will be very disappointed if I'm not around 10.5@ 134+
How did you get 1.59 60' with PZero? Were you using launch control? I can never get it that low. Now that GTR I ran back in October was getting similar 60ft and he had race tires, I think Toyos on the back. He got 1.74 to my 1.72 later in the day on the second run and 1.67 to my 1.74 earlier in the day. Maybe SAR just doesn't have good grip. The black Corvette I ran on Friday night definitely had drag slicks on the back and he got 1.67 to my 1.74.

At Ennis I was getting 1.74-1.76, I just can't get below 1.65 with my PZeros and the ones at Ennis had 8500 miles on them, these only have about 1500 now.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:08 PM
Yes I posted mine.

Shifter those are good times, the problem is not that the car won't have the power to lay down a 10.1 it's hooking up all that torque. My 0-60 time keeps getting slower the more power I get on stock tires. Also all tracks are different, was the track cold was there heat in the track, etc

Old 11-15-2015, 12:17 PM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah I agree that the tires and track prep are everything with the times.

I think there's a sweet spot with the p zeros where you max out its grippability and get the lowest times.

If you increase torque from there you get wheel spin and slower times.

Which could be why I got quicker times with less torque/HP.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:15 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Yes guys. At this level there is a new set of variables with putting the power down. Just like how high-performance cars have bigger wider wheels and tires then cars that don't make a lot of power. Look at the tires on the 918. You can still do better times with more sticky rubber. But it's not built to do quarter-mile drag racing. Same with these cars but we like to go use the quarter-mile and half-mile as a yardstick which is cool. As long as we remember the whole picture.

Shifter, you should be able to run 10 two or 10 three all day long at 135 plus if you hook. Good times. And always remember. Enjoying your car on the road and in certain situations is different than trying to go from point A to point B and a time and distance at the strip. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy awesome power and so many other situations.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:36 PM
wrs
Here is the near zero reaction time run

Notice how slick the track appears. Anyway, there is some kind of serious scraping sound which isn't a scrape but it seems like some kind of issue related to going through dips. It just turned up this week.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:56 PM
Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wrs
Notice how slick the track appears. Anyway, there is some kind of serious scraping sound which isn't a scrape but it seems like some kind of issue related to going through dips. It just turned up this week.

2015 11 13 SAR .0018s reaction time - YouTube
Boy, you only let LC hang the car at 5500 for something under 1/2 a second. My experience with LC has involved much more time at 5500 rpm/WOT before I drop the brake.

I wonder if the car is still sorting things for a brief moment while you drop it quickly. Do others pass through launch control this quickly?

Old 11-15-2015, 07:16 PM
wrs
Originally Posted by Visceral
Boy, you only let LC hang the car at 5500 for something under 1/2 a second. My experience with LC has involved much more time at 5500 rpm/WOT before I drop the brake.

I wonder if the car is still sorting things for a brief moment while you drop it quickly. Do others pass through launch control this quickly?
I start it at the first amber and let up on the brake just after the second amber, it takes about .7s for the car to engage and move that first foot. I hit it just perfect on that run. All night though I was really good with it. My slowest was .35s and I had a .03 against the Vette on the last run. I watch for the other guy to finish staging because on the sport tree you get about .5s after that. On the pro tree I will floor it after the other guy stages because the car will hold for about 8s and there is only 7s from second pre-stage to amber on the pro tree. I let up the brake at the amber on a pro tree so I normally get .3s reaction time there.

Last edited by wrs; 11-15-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:51 PM
Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !
I have to powerbrake my E63 wagon at the strip and it takes a couple seconds to hang it right at 2800-3000. I watch the other lane and start the process when the other side's second stage light lights up. It gives me a good three or four seconds in all.

Might be worth trying (once?) to see if it improves your 60's.

I appreciate your big exhale right as you pull up. I've got thousands of timeslips and part of the "routine" is a deep breath and mental clearing right after the burnout but before I stage.

Also, funny to see San Antonio in those conditions. I've raced there a bit, but we always went to HRP for the track prep.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:05 PM
wrs
Originally Posted by Visceral
I have to powerbrake my E63 wagon at the strip and it takes a couple seconds to hang it right at 2800-3000. I watch the other lane and start the process when the other side's second stage light lights up. It gives me a good three or four seconds in all.

Might be worth trying (once?) to see if it improves your 60's.

I appreciate your big exhale right as you pull up. I've got thousands of timeslips and part of the "routine" is a deep breath and mental clearing right after the burnout but before I stage.

Also, funny to see San Antonio in those conditions. I've raced there a bit, but we always went to HRP for the track prep.
Here is the pro tree run against Tito graphed and you can see that I hold the 5500 for several seconds.

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: More slips, great reaction times last night -- Car #30 is me