So if I buy a set of Toyo R888s for the rear, what wheels do I get?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 06:21 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Visceral
t
Im sure an aftermarket 997 Turbo size wheel can be had in 19" that hold the 305/35/19 drag radial and fits over the rear brake without breaking the bank. That would be a $1500-1700-ish solution.
Including the tires? They are $415 each so those must be cheap wheels. The FF15s are $1300 for the pair of 20's but would need spacers and I would have to use the $550 Dunlops which apparently no one has experience with and they are a combo tire, not just track only.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:44 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wrs
Including the tires? They are $415 each so those must be cheap wheels. The FF15s are $1300 for the pair of 20's but would need spacers and I would have to use the $550 Dunlops which apparently no one has experience with and they are a combo tire, not just track only.

I have a set 4 of 7mm RSS spacers if you end up needing them. I ran them on my 13 C2 but do not need them for this car. You can have them for free.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:24 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tommyboy214
I have a set 4 of 7mm RSS spacers if you end up needing them. I ran them on my 13 C2 but do not need them for this car. You can have them for free.
Well it looks to me like my best solution is going to be a full set of rims that are custom built for my car so no spacers are needed Then I can mount either the Dunlop Maxx Race or Trofeo Rs on them. That way I just store them in the garage and use a hydraulic jack to switch tires when I want to race the car. I think I will just wait a bit............................

Old 11-18-2015, 09:55 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
In a way this ends up being a better solution even financially if you track the car more than once a year. Because you will get more life out of your wheels and tires and it's convenient. Remember, one track event on street tires and they get cooked. Never the same and noisy. Let me know when you're ready. We can work with you or your shop to pick a configuration that will do drag and road course. The Toyo is perfect for this and it takes the heavy weight well.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:04 PM
Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !
If youre looking for something to use for the road track as well, I guess I'm heading in the wrong direction with a separate set of rear wheels... but I've never had an issue with how a different set of wheels looks on the back while Im at the drag strip... its sort of par for the course.

I do know that the sidewalls of drag tires and road-racing tires are designed almost in opposite directions. The Toyo r888 is a sticky tire, but will not improve the 60' a whole lot, in my opinion. The sidewall is too stiff. It's no Trofeo, and its not even "Porsche specific" in having greater load ratings in the rear. But it isn't the shock-absorbing sidewall of a drag tire that so improves 60'. Within reason, the taller the sidewall the better for drag racing. THis is obviously not the case for road-racing.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:44 PM
wrs
Originally Posted by Visceral
If youre looking for something to use for the road track as well, I guess I'm heading in the wrong direction with a separate set of rear wheels... but I've never had an issue with how a different set of wheels looks on the back while Im at the drag strip... its sort of par for the course.

I do know that the sidewalls of drag tires and road-racing tires are designed almost in opposite directions. The Toyo r888 is a sticky tire, but will not improve the 60' a whole lot, in my opinion. The sidewall is too stiff. It's no Trofeo, and its not even "Porsche specific" in having greater load ratings in the rear. But it isn't the shock-absorbing sidewall of a drag tire that so improves 60'. Within reason, the taller the sidewall the better for drag racing. THis is obviously not the case for road-racing.
No, you are right, I started the thread in the drag strip back pair direction and then realized I probably really need a full set for the road racing because that does more damage to my DD tires than drag racing. My next step that looks to be cheaper is taking the cats off after inspection gets done and put on some bypass pipes and see where that gets me. The Porsche guys just called me and said there was a big nail on the inside sidewall and I am getting a new tire for free or rather on the insurance policy.