ByDesign/COBB Stage 1 (10.30's) is done! STAGE 2 next; shooting for 10.10's w/PZeros

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 03:57 PM
E-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond repute
ByDesign/COBB Stage 1 (10.30's) is done! STAGE 2 next; shooting for 10.10's w/PZeros

As many of you guys are aware, I am on a quest to run 10’10’s or faster in the ¼ mile with the least amount of modifications possible. I tend to lean more towards ¼ mile racing, thus the reason for the type of my quest. Been there and done that with the ½ mile & 1 mile scene during my Lambo days.

Sam from ByDesign and COBB stepped up and thus far my goals seemed inline; our working collaboration has been great!
A quick reminder: my vehicle is a 2016 TTS ALL stock except for the Sam/COBB stage 1 map (93oct/100oct) – best run (10.32@131.5); worse run (10.51@131). Taking an average of all Stage 1 test runs,: settled on 10.40@130. Again, this is stage 1 map under a combo of 93 & 100 gasoline….ALL ELSE BONE FREAKING STOCK!!!!

Now on to the next level…STAGE 2 (exhaust & re-map)…we decided to run the Kline catless system from Sam and additional tuning from both Sam and COBB. Due to my many previous scan analysis and hot climate, I decided to also run the ByDesign 4.5” IC’s. The IAT on these cars can get out of whack at the track after repeated runs especially when located in a hot climate. I will be doing the swap alone, so why not bang out the IC’s while the bumper is off. Besides, summer is around the corner and will need consistent IAT’s in order to attempt to reach my goals under the upcoming summer weeks.

I know some of you had/have your doubts when I initially shared my goals in this forum, but I think some of you are coming around to the idea (goals). I honestly think I can reduce my current stage 1 average of 10.40’s down another 0.3tenth…thus putting us in the 10.10’s range. Who knows, I may run faster…faster is what I’m shooting for, but we will see. Oh yeah, all this on stock PZERO tires.

Car now has 1,800 miles; maybe I’ll change the plugs and definitely the oil for the 1st time while I’m in there.

Stand-by folks…I will share my progress as we move forward. Parts are on order and will slap them on once they arrive, then heading to the track once we dial in my new map.

Thanks,
E-Gear

Last edited by E-Gear; 06-14-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:26 AM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Again great job and subscribed!

Old 06-15-2016, 09:04 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
So I picked up a dry wall screw in the middle of my left rear

This is the new one that replaced the one that had picked up a roofing nail on the outside edge and had to be replaced under the tire warranty back in March. It was in between two treads and so I had the service station guy put a patch in. You think it's safe to take it to the drag strip still? I want to go run this Friday night at TNT, this is the first time I have been able to look at getting out there since February.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:19 PM
E-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond reputeE-Gear has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wrs
This is the new one that replaced the one that had picked up a roofing nail on the outside edge and had to be replaced under the tire warranty back in March. It was in between two treads and so I had the service station guy put a patch in. You think it's safe to take it to the drag strip still? I want to go run this Friday night at TNT, this is the first time I have been able to look at getting out there since February.

WRS,

I think it is safe.

I've raced with tire plugs and patches in the past. If done correctly, once those suckers (patches/plugs) adhere to the rubber, they good to go. BTW, I've been over 180mph on a patch.

Thanks,
E-Gear

Old 06-15-2016, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
Again great job and subscribed!

Thanks brotha...I am trying to go where many have NOT gone before
Many folks go straight from stock to stage 3 or stage 4...I'm trying to see gains from each stage - one stage at a time and share my findings.

Thanks,
E-Gear

Old 06-15-2016, 02:36 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
You are giving us all a great reason for some popcorn bud! It's been a blast working with you and sharing thoughts. With the new goodies we can take the cuffs off and really get down! Praying to the Pirelli Gods and I can't wait!

Old 06-15-2016, 03:19 PM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by E-Gear
Thanks brotha...I am trying to go where many have NOT gone before
Many folks go straight from stock to stage 3 or stage 4...I'm trying to see gains from each stage - one stage at a time and share my findings.

Thanks,
E-Gear
Maxing out each stage is great data for the community. Thanks for taking the time to do it and I wish you the best maxing each one out.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:07 PM
918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute918 Spyder has a reputation beyond repute
As many of you guys are aware, I am on a quest to run 10’10’s or faster in the ¼ mile with the least amount of modifications possible. I tend to lean more towards ¼ mile racing, thus the reason for the type of my quest. Been there and done that with the ½ mile & 1 mile scene during my Lambo days.

Sam from ByDesign and COBB stepped up and thus far my goals seemed inline; our working collaboration has been great!
A quick reminder: my vehicle is a 2016 TTS ALL stock except for the Sam/COBB stage 1 map (93oct/100oct) – best run (10.32@131.5); worse run (10.51@131). Taking an average of all Stage 1 test runs,: settled on 10.40@130. Again, this is stage 1 map under a combo of 93 & 100 gasoline….ALL ELSE BONE FREAKING STOCK!!!!

Now on to the next level…STAGE 2 (exhaust & re-map)…we decided to run the Kline catless system from Sam and additional tuning from both Sam and COBB. Due to my many previous scan analysis and hot climate, I decided to also run the ByDesign 4.5” IC’s. The IAT on these cars can get out of whack at the track after repeated runs especially when located in a hot climate. I will be doing the swap alone, so why not bang out the IC’s while the bumper is off. Besides, summer is around the corner and will need consistent IAT’s in order to attempt to reach my goals under the upcoming summer weeks.

I know some of you had/have your doubts when I initially shared my goals in this forum, but I think some of you are coming around to the idea (goals). I honestly think I can reduce my current stage 1 average of 10.40’s down another 0.3tenth…thus putting us in the 10.10’s range. Who knows, I may run faster…faster is what I’m shooting for, but we will see. Oh yeah, all this on stock PZERO tires.

Car now has 1,800 miles; maybe I’ll change the plugs and definitely the oil for the 1st time while I’m in there.

Stand-by folks…I will share my progress as we move forward. Parts are on order and will slap them on once they arrive, then heading to the track once we dial in my new map.

Thanks,
E-Gear
That's some great times for just a tune. Congratulations!!!! Where are you located? Summer is here and it will suck some time away from you and your quest.
My turbo S is still in Atlanta waiting for Rob to tune the car with the IC's and big turbo's. We will also tune with the 200 shot...hope to get this done during the first week of July. I'll still take it to the track and will deal with the heat to see what happens.

Jeff

Old 06-15-2016, 07:41 PM
UTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Great times & trap! Love this quest.

I think that's a fantastic idea. I had thought about this but I don't have the patience Super excited to watch this unfold.

Cam

Old 06-16-2016, 02:21 PM
Thanks guys - I will keep sharing my progress as I go along.

E-Gear

Old 06-16-2016, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by 918 Spyder
That's some great times for just a tune. Congratulations!!!! Where are you located? Summer is here and it will suck some time away from you and your quest.
My turbo S is still in Atlanta waiting for Rob to tune the car with the IC's and big turbo's. We will also tune with the 200 shot...hope to get this done during the first week of July. I'll still take it to the track and will deal with the heat to see what happens.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Thanks!

I split time between Texas and IL. Will be in the DFW area for the entire summer. Texas summers are no joke; it is already 93* today not counting the heat index. ATL gets just as hot and humid.

Yes, it will be tough to run quick times under this heat, but I will sure try.

When hot like this, I employ a few simple tricks (did the same with my 997.2):
* Ice down the IC's by hand-feeding the side inlets with ice cubes
- as soon as I get to track & between runs
* Use a CO2 tank to freeze up the IC's a few mins after ice melts
- between passes
* I use a carpet dryer fan to air cool the motor from underneath
- as soon as I get to track & between passes

I also try parking as close as possible to the lanes so I can take best advantage of the frozen IC's.

Thanks,
E-Gear

Old 06-16-2016, 04:23 PM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Hi Jeff,

Thanks!

I split time between Texas and IL. Will be in the DFW area for the entire summer. Texas summers are no joke; it is already 93* today not counting the heat index. ATL gets just as hot and humid.

Yes, it will be tough to run quick times under this heat, but I will sure try.

When hot like this, I employ a few simple tricks (did the same with my 997.2):
* Ice down the IC's by hand-feeding the side inlets with ice cubes
- as soon as I get to track & between runs
* Use a CO2 tank to freeze up the IC's a few mins after ice melts
- between passes
* I use a carpet dryer fan to air cool the motor from underneath
- as soon as I get to track & between passes

I also try parking as close as possible to the lanes so I can take best advantage of the frozen IC's.

Thanks,
E-Gear
Hey thanks for the good info on the plug. Damn, it's 96 here and the heat index is 107. I know it's going to be miserable tomorrow night but I will go anyway just for practice. I have been working on the brake boosting in sport mode. I can make the car burn rubber by putting it in sport and holding the brake until I get the car to 5000 rpm then release and it burns rubber with TC off. Tomorrow the forecast is for VERY HOT, a high of 97 here with a heat index of 104 which seems low compared to today. However, in Marion it's going to be 95 with a heat index of 108. I only have the alcohol solution to put on my ICs besides some ice if I take a cooler. Problem is I go by myself and really don't like to leave stuff sitting out.

So do you go to Ennis on Fast Friday's?

Old 06-16-2016, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by wrs
Hey thanks for the good info on the plug. Damn, it's 96 here and the heat index is 107. I know it's going to be miserable tomorrow night but I will go anyway just for practice. I have been working on the brake boosting in sport mode. I can make the car burn rubber by putting it in sport and holding the brake until I get the car to 5000 rpm then release and it burns rubber with TC off. Tomorrow the forecast is for VERY HOT, a high of 97 here with a heat index of 104 which seems low compared to today. However, in Marion it's going to be 95 with a heat index of 108. I only have the alcohol solution to put on my ICs besides some ice if I take a cooler. Problem is I go by myself and really don't like to leave stuff sitting out.

So do you go to Ennis on Fast Friday's?

Don't take your good cooler with you - go to a Dollar Store or anywhere who sell those cheap foam coolers and use that. And if someone takes it, then so be it. Or, you can stop at a gas station close to the track and buy ice bag(s) there. You can also buy ice at the track; some tracks have bags for sale, albeit a little more expensive.

Yes, I sometimes go to Ennis during Fast Friday's T-n-T nights. However, good track prep is hit or miss though.

Foot Brake works - I used to do so all the time with my 997.2. However, it took away from the car's ability to really launch and leave as hard without upshifting too soon. That is why I do not want to go too bananas with this car - sometimes less is more. Going 175mph plus in a 1/2 is cool as heck, but it means squat if you can't launch next to a car that can cut some deep 1.50's or better 60'. Those guys with all those heavy mods play catch up to others who can get out of the hole...ask me how I know.

Hit me up if you ever come up to the DFW area...I'll help you track dial your car at the track.

Thanks,
E-Gear

Old 06-16-2016, 06:05 PM
Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !
E-Gear I want you to know you just cost me a Cobb port and tune ...from our good buddy Sam...let the modding begin

Old 06-16-2016, 07:33 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Lol
It was a pleasure G. Already on its way to you Express so you should have it for some weekend fun. I'll walk you through the whole process.

Sincerely,
Your favorite crack dealer

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.