help choosing wheels for 2017 TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 06:01 PM
Nikkolaki is infamous around these parts
help choosing wheels for 2017 TT

I considering buying new turbo. Prefer the the turbo s wheels. They are approx $4000 canadian upgrade.
Or are there better options for a similar price?

Also what are the pro's and con's of center lock wheels?

Old 08-24-2016, 08:45 PM
_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold
I really like the look of the TTS wheels but am ordering my TT without them. My GTS has centerlocks, and I feel it's an answer to a question nobody asked. You need special tools, can't change a tire roadside, and the hubs can require additional maintenance. I don't see an upside besides aesthetics.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:12 PM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
CL looks is it in my book. I like the TT turbo wheels personally.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:44 PM
georgefu has a brilliant futuregeorgefu has a brilliant futuregeorgefu has a brilliant futuregeorgefu has a brilliant futuregeorgefu has a brilliant futuregeorgefu has a brilliant futuregeorgefu has a brilliant futuregeorgefu has a brilliant futuregeorgefu has a brilliant futuregeorgefu has a brilliant futuregeorgefu has a brilliant future
In addition to the hassle an adapter kit is required to do alignment... Better make sure your dealer has it before jumping in!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3540.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	457347  
Old 08-24-2016, 10:39 PM
Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !
Ordered a TTS withOUT CLs. The 5-lug wheels are perfect. Had centerlocks on other cars and never want them on a street car.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:55 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by _ace_
I really like the look of the TTS wheels but am ordering my TT without them. My GTS has centerlocks, and I feel it's an answer to a question nobody asked. You need special tools, can't change a tire roadside, and the hubs can require additional maintenance. I don't see an upside besides aesthetics.
A perfect description of why I did not want Centerlocks

Old 08-25-2016, 07:22 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Goin2drt
I like the TT turbo wheels personally.
Me too, I have the TTS with the Turbo Wheels which is part of what I was looking for. I don't like the center lock wheels. JMO.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:27 PM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
I think the 991.2 center lock wheel is a masterpiece. Inconvenient or not, those are the only wheels I would want on a new Turbo.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:00 PM
_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold
FYI, HRE posted a large number of sample wheels here:
http://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo...l#post13058185

They are for centerlock cars, but I expect you could get any of them in 5 lug. Seems like a typical price is on the order of $2000 per corner. I hear $2500 often but I don't know if that's an asking or selling price.

You can always peruse eBay as well.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:03 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Other downside to Centerlocks is it will impact the concavity (how deep) the wheels can be made as the centerlock requires a massive amount of backpad on the wheels which force a flat profile on the actual wheels.

So if you're considering going aftermarket wheels in the future 5-lug is the way to go unless you like the look of flat center / big lip traditional 3-piece looking wheels.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:04 PM
BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !
Flat profile? This seems like a lot of concavity to me...ADV CL's on my 2016 TTS

Old 08-26-2016, 06:15 PM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
I assumed he was asking what wheels to order from Porsche for his car.

From Porsche = 5 lug normal Turbo wheels like this
Click image for larger version

Name:	9V5A2445.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	457468

If you mean aftermarket then HRE P101 or BBS Fi-R
Name:  HRE.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  3.0 KB
Name:  bbs.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  3.3 KB

Old 08-26-2016, 09:35 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLOWN SRT
Flat profile? This seems like a lot of concavity to me...ADV CL's on my 2016 TTS

I worked for ADV for 6 years until a few months ago. You'll note your wheels use a "spacer" around the centerlock to work around the material requirements the forgings otherwise couldn't support. Without that spacer it's not possible to get concavity. To ADV's credit they were the first (and only up until recently) to engineer this work around solution but for 95% of companies out there if you buy aftermarket centerlock wheels they will be flat as hell.

This was one of the first centerlock sets we did (http://s820.photobucket.com/user/ADV...che11.jpg.html) and you'll note without the spacers they are flat as hell.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:22 PM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by BLOWN SRT

That's really not that much concavity IMO.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:34 AM
I'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud of
Love my CLs

Originally Posted by _ace_
I posted the note below a while back after my initial CL experience. Like them more now!!!

I read a lot of negative comments regarding the CLs and what a PITA they are to deal with. Having just taken delivery of a new TTS with the "dreaded" CLs, I thought I would share my experience.

First, I did spend a grand or so acquiring the proper tools; 1) collapsable breaker bar, 2) 600 ft lbs torque wrench, 3) Castrol aluminum paste & 4) torque multiplier, 5) big red ***** . Didn't really need the multiplier but wanted it anyway!

I took the opportunity to learn about the CLs to rotate my tires side to side. Bottom line; I have no idea what the fuss is all about! Sure, getting the routine down took a few minutes and changing the rears took me longer (first axle I did). With the proper tools, it's easy-peasy! Messing with the paste7 is the biggest PITA, but then, I was probably too cautious.

I'd have no problem or fear of taking a long trip with these. In fact, we went to Porsche Palooza a few week-ends ago. I packed the breaker bar, wrench, guide and paste in the frunk. That way, if I got a flat, I'm basically in the same position as a car with regular wheels. I can R&R the wheel myself anywhere and get a tire. No need to have to find a dealer.

Hope this helps and glad I went for the CLs!

Your opinion and experience may differ.......and that's OK with me!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: help choosing wheels for 2017 TT