Champion GIAC 93 Octane Tune Drag Strip Results on 991.2 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 04:54 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by longboarder
You did 140+ on just a tune and exhaust on a full weight car ??!!?? Wow.

The GIAC tune has always been impressive. Basically a "set it an forget it" tune. The exact mix of power and reliability. No trade offs.

Remember GIAC was the very first flash tune on the 9A1 motor (997.2) and of course the first tune on the 991. So there is value in experience. GIAC and Champion had a bolt on 9A1 in the 9's in 2010....pretty much years before anyone else.
Yes..I was impressed!! Full weight with ONLY Tubi Catless and this race gas tune (50 / 50 mix of VP MS109 and 93)...And I'm 265-270 lbs.
Crappy launch (1.92 60ft. ) because I forgot to put it in sport or sport plus, but it kept it from spinning too badly.
GOOD DA though.

Here's the vid and the Dragy print out.

Old 03-13-2021, 05:05 AM
SGC
SGC is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Big Swole
Yes..I was impressed!! Full weight with ONLY Tubi Catless and this race gas tune (50 / 50 mix of VP MS109 and 93)...And I'm 265-270 lbs.
Crappy launch (1.92 60ft. ) because I forgot to put it in sport or sport plus, but it kept it from spinning too badly.
GOOD DA though.

Here's the vid and the Dragy print out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbe9TJE_pSc

The tune is impressive; however, it looks like the draggy invalidated the run because it was downhill. Big slope. Between the -1,000 DA and decline, your numbers will be a bit skewed.

Any drag strips close to where you live?

Old 03-13-2021, 09:16 AM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SGC
The tune is impressive; however, it looks like the draggy invalidated the run because it was downhill. Big slope. Between the -1,000 DA and decline, your numbers will be a bit skewed.

Any drag strips close to where you live?
Well, actually I think it's the huge bumps on that bridge that causes the dragy to think it's a bad slope.... Multiple runs in that Exact same spot (both directions) were valid. One side is just a hair down hill but I wouldn't call 1.8% a "Huge" slope.

Here are some passes in that exact area...one of which ( The 6.07 sec. 60-130 ) deemed as valid in the Same Direction as this 1/4 pass vid.

These were ALL in the same spot that the 1/4 miles pass that showed Invalid... There are just some bumps / dips in some spots that I must have managed not to hit a few times.

Either way, Yes the -1000+ DA certainly helped that mph...But since the vid of the FL car showed it doing 139-140 mph with the exact same tune and exhaust (maybe different levels of Race Gas mix..I could add more to increase the octane / power I'm sure), This MPH is certainly close to it's capability.

Old 03-13-2021, 09:30 AM
SGC
Well, actually I think it's the huge bumps on that bridge that causes the dragy to think it's a bad slope.... Multiple runs in that Exact same spot (both directions) were valid. One side is just a hair down hill but I wouldn't call 1.8% a "Huge" slope.

Here are some passes in that exact area...one of which ( The 6.07 sec. 60-130 ) deemed as valid in the Same Direction as this 1/4 pass vid.

These were ALL in the same spot that the 1/4 miles pass that showed Invalid... There are just some bumps / dips in some spots that I must have managed not to hit a few times.

Either way, Yes the -1000+ DA certainly helped that mph...But since the vid of the FL car showed it doing 139-140 mph with the exact same tune and exhaust (maybe different levels of Race Gas mix..I could add more to increase the octane / power I'm sure), This MPH is certainly close to it's capability.

I agree. The black car in the video is my car.

I would kill to have your DA. I think my car would run 9.60’s in your DA. Also, I have yet to run MS109 which I think is oxygenated. I’ve been running 93/100 mix as I drive the car and trapped 140. In addition, I’m not far behind you in weight as I weigh 220. You’re about 5 gallons of fuel heavier than me.

All that said, I was curious if you have any drag strips local where you could get a good launch and time slip as well as to eliminate and bumps, slopes, etc...

Old 03-13-2021, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by SGC
I agree. The black car in the video is my car.

I would kill to have your DA. I think my car would run 9.60’s in your DA. Also, I have yet to run MS109 which I think is oxygenated. I’ve been running 93/100 mix as I drive the car and trapped 140. In addition, I’m not far behind you in weight as I weigh 220. You’re about 5 gallons of fuel heavier than me.

All that said, I was curious if you have any drag strips local where you could get a good launch and time slip as well as to eliminate and bumps, slopes, etc...

Ah!! Okay Cool!! Great vids! Thanks!

Don’t get me wrong. I live in Atlanta Georgia so we rarely get weather that good were the DA was that low. It was just winter time and that happened to be a very cool dry night.

yes I could lighten the load with fuel a little bit more and not carry anything else in the cabin with me, but I try to run the car in similar conditions that I would normally be driving on the street or to and from a track. Not much I can do about my heavy rear end. Lol.

yes there are a couple of tracks near me. Unfortunately Atlanta dragway is a bit of a controversy right now because they are trying to sell that property but it’s likely going to be developed into some sort of neighborhood or industrial situation. It will likely not stay as one of the major NHRA tracks. I need to try to get to a track at some point but usually it’s not until the summer or fall where there are events for me to go to. Once it gets warm I’m sure it will slow down a few miles per hour.

i’m just pretty happy with where the car is in the way the tune drives. I’m doing a track day at Atlanta motorsports Park tomorrow with the car so it’s not just about straight-line speed also. I’m sure you know that. This track is short and technical so my car will be overkill for it anyway.

cheers!!!

David

Old 03-13-2021, 10:40 AM
SGC
Ah!! Okay Cool!! Great vids! Thanks!

Don’t get me wrong. I live in Atlanta Georgia so we rarely get weather that good were the DA was that low. It was just winter time and that happened to be a very cool dry night.

yes I could lighten the load with fuel a little bit more and not carry anything else in the cabin with me, but I try to run the car in similar conditions that I would normally be driving on the street or to and from a track. Not much I can do about my heavy rear end. Lol.

yes there are a couple of tracks near me. Unfortunately Atlanta dragway is a bit of a controversy right now because they are trying to sell that property but it’s likely going to be developed into some sort of neighborhood or industrial situation. It will likely not stay as one of the major NHRA tracks. I need to try to get to a track at some point but usually it’s not until the summer or fall where there are events for me to go to. Once it gets warm I’m sure it will slow down a few miles per hour.

i’m just pretty happy with where the car is in the way the tune drives. I’m doing a track day at Atlanta motorsports Park tomorrow with the car so it’s not just about straight-line speed also. I’m sure you know that. This track is short and technical so my car will be overkill for it anyway.

cheers!!!

David
Agreed. You have every reason to be happy with the tune. When I started getting 9 Sec timeslips after the tune, I was happy as well.

All the best.

Old 03-13-2021, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by SGC
Agreed. You have every reason to be happy with the tune. When I started getting 9 Sec timeslips after the tune, I was happy as well.

All the best.

Thank you and same to you Sir.

BTW, Not sure if you know or read it anywhere but your vids are the only reason why I didn't swap to Cobb AP.
My car came with the Tubi & GIAC Stage 1 tune when I bought it. It drove great but I wanted a bit more.
When you started posting these vids about the new Stage. 2 pump tune with the 100 octant tune Unlock, I started doing some research.
I had to go pay my Porsche dealer $186.00 to upgrade the ECU software on my car (2017) before it would accept the new GIAC tune.
But my local GIAC dealer sold me the New tune and unlocked the 100 octane tune and sold me a tune switcher.
So all in, I was out only about $1200-1300.00 I think.
I know Cobb is great and SAM by Design tuned my last car (997.2TTS), but switching would still have cost me twice that at a minimum.
This will be fun to play with for a while, and if I ever decide to go with further mods for more power, I may have to switch, but for now this is a great setup.
Thanks again for the vids. Saved me some coin for now.

Old 03-13-2021, 03:08 PM
SGC
Thank you and same to you Sir.

BTW, Not sure if you know or read it anywhere but your vids are the only reason why I didn't swap to Cobb AP.
My car came with the Tubi & GIAC Stage 1 tune when I bought it. It drove great but I wanted a bit more.
When you started posting these vids about the new Stage. 2 pump tune with the 100 octant tune Unlock, I started doing some research.
I had to go pay my Porsche dealer $186.00 to upgrade the ECU software on my car (2017) before it would accept the new GIAC tune.
But my local GIAC dealer sold me the New tune and unlocked the 100 octane tune and sold me a tune switcher.
So all in, I was out only about $1200-1300.00 I think.
I know Cobb is great and SAM by Design tuned my last car (997.2TTS), but switching would still have cost me twice that at a minimum.
This will be fun to play with for a while, and if I ever decide to go with further mods for more power, I may have to switch, but for now this is a great setup.
Thanks again for the vids. Saved me some coin for now.
Glad it worked out for you. I believe my car was the test bed for the GIAC Stage 2. I was asking the guys at Champion about a slightly more aggressive tune for about a year and happily volunteered my car to Champion to work with GIAC to develop this tune. My goal was to get from basement 10’s into the high 9’s with all stock hardware other than a Tubi turbo back exhaust. I give a lot of credit to Champion and GIAC since I don’t think I’ve seen too many stock hardware 991.2 TTS run 9’s, especially with no meth and no weight reduction.

Old 07-15-2021, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by SGC
Glad it worked out for you. I believe my car was the test bed for the GIAC Stage 2. I was asking the guys at Champion about a slightly more aggressive tune for about a year and happily volunteered my car to Champion to work with GIAC to develop this tune. My goal was to get from basement 10’s into the high 9’s with all stock hardware other than a Tubi turbo back exhaust. I give a lot of credit to Champion and GIAC since I don’t think I’ve seen too many stock hardware 991.2 TTS run 9’s, especially with no meth and no weight reduction.

I hear their might even be another revision of this tune by GIAC that can be had if you're "in the know". I'm not going to worry about It until is "proven" though.

Originally Posted by jaberloke
Yeah that’s insensitive AS **** dude. You have someone from another race in the group and here you are typing that ****. Imagine the Indian or malay of the group said they don’t want to date Chinese cos their dick is small or they have small eyes. Its beyond their control what.

Bruh, I think you replied to the wrong thread!!!! lol