Official 2012 Porsche 991 911. Spy Shots, Renderings, Details, etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Banned
mr.raven is infamous around these parts
Cant wait for them to unravel the masterpiece come this January.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:19 PM
crackberry005 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MTRX
I don't think they will be less expensive... as far as safety goes, I think not much you can do when your car is that small.
oh, i meant, how are the vw influences on the 911 a good thing. like the introduction of safety equipment or stuff like that (which apparently not much can be done for a car that small)

Old 03-29-2011, 07:26 PM
MTRX is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by crackberry005
oh, i meant, how are the vw influences on the 911 a good thing. like the introduction of safety equipment or stuff like that (which apparently not much can be done for a car that small)
I think Porsche can probably take advantage of a strong financial position of VW and probably be able to invest more into technology and engineering and continue making outstanding cars.

In the current market if Porsche was on it's own it could have been a tough time for them, so it might be a good thingthat VW is in the way backing them.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:06 PM
crackberry005 is infamous around these parts
I think Porsche can probably take advantage of a strong financial position of VW and probably be able to invest more into technology and engineering and continue making outstanding cars.

In the current market if Porsche was on it's own it could have been a tough time for them, so it might be a good thingthat VW is in the way backing them.
ehh. it happens. if i dont like where p is going in 10yrs, ill just buy a different car. it happens, and im not going to make a bfd over it.

no matter what, im prolly locked down to the 991s. it fits my situation the best.

now, i just have to decide what color i want. porsche racing green metallic or midnight blue? any other suggestions? no red, black, white, or yellow. just not for me.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:05 PM
TheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura about
Still ugly for a 100 K car

Doesn't look nearly as pleasing to the eye as an Aston, Audi R8, Lambo, or Ferrari, or even an SLS AMG.

Even the R8 doesn't look as good as the others mentioned. German cars really don't excite the senses, sonically or visually. Muted exhausts, ugly designs.

They need a car that handles like a mid-engined Porsche but looks Italian. And has RWD, not AWD. And costs 100 K not 200 K.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:06 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TheRox

Doesn't look nearly as pleasing to the eye as an Aston, Audi R8, Lambo, or Ferrari, or even an SLS AMG.

They need a car that handles like a mid-engined Porsche but looks Italian. And has RWD, not AWD. And costs 100 K not 200 K.
Isn't it fortunate that Canadian law does not require you to buy one?

Come to think of it, 'they' don't even have to ask your opinion before building a German car instead of an Italian one. And I don't have to ask before buying a German car instead of an Italian one.

Ain't it grand the way things work out? Thanks for sharing your opinion though, even if it isn't much use to people who do like the muscular proportions and aerodynamic look of a Porsche.

Gary

Old 04-07-2011, 01:05 AM
DBV
DBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud of
German cars really don't excite the senses, sonically or visually. Muted exhausts, ugly designs.

And has RWD, not AWD. And costs 100 K not 200 K.
Sounds to me like you need some proper seat time in a GT3.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:18 AM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
I saw this entire entourage here in Scottsdale, AZ at a gas station once in september.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:44 PM
MTRX is infamous around these parts

Even the R8 doesn't look as good as the others mentioned. German cars really don't excite the senses, sonically or visually. Muted exhausts, ugly designs.

I think the reason why Porsche is standing where it is right now and has one of the most loyal base of customers and enthusiasts is because of the fact that they don't try to "please" general public and have their own "direction" that so far has only been a good one. Porsche, especially 911 is the kind of car that does not look like any other cars or sounds like any other car or feels like any other car and for that reason many of us love this car.

But I do agree with you that Aston makes some nice looking cars, they are just different and more of a "show off" cars, as supposed to 911 where you drive this car and enjoy every single moment of it.

My 2 cents.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:20 PM
TheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura about
911 is a good value sports car...so is the cayman, but neither look great -- for those who want a 100K car to look 100K...911 doesn't look the part

It remains however, the best value at that price point (as a driver's car)...so people learn to live and appreciate the akward frog-eyed styling...by calling it classic and justifying it in so many ways.

I mean just LOOK at the 3D nature of the 458 Italia or Aston Martin....look at how those hips and curves intersect ...its a thing of beauty...look at the proportions. Look at that broad, wide track...(the reason why the Panamera's front is the best looking front Porsche makes). You need width for a car to look nice.

Granted the Aston is a poor driver's car....but the 458 isn't, is it too much to ask for something like looks like a Ferrari, drives like a Porsche, and is as affordable as a Porsche? Germans simply don't understand beauty. Even the R8 isn't that well styled.

Last edited by TheRox; 04-09-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:28 PM
I think the reason why Porsche is standing where it is right now and has one of the most loyal base of customers and enthusiasts is because of the fact that they don't try to "please" general public and have their own "direction" that so far has only been a good one. Porsche, especially 911 is the kind of car that does not look like any other cars or sounds like any other car or feels like any other car and for that reason many of us love this car.

But I do agree with you that Aston makes some nice looking cars, they are just different and more of a "show off" cars, as supposed to 911 where you drive this car and enjoy every single moment of it.

My 2 cents.
You're absolutely correct and I respect that.

Nothing drives like it...I'm just pushing the envelope a little and saying: why can't you create something that is PORSCHe...but just looks that much better.

I don't see anyone arguing that the 911 is a looker, and no one will. Sure...Porsche-philes will make up excuses, its classic, or I like the proportions. But for those of us not on dialysis and who are open minded, she ain't a looker...and I firmly believe that a a good experience (be it automotive, culinary, real-estate, vacation) is tactile, auditory, and visual. You need to excite all the senses, not just the car-nerd ones saying...my lap time is 0.00000000001 second better than yours because I have a Porsche.

Porshce doesn't really fulfill the visual part of the experience...certainly the tactile and auditory (second to only the flat-crank Italian V8's/V10's) is very well done. ANd lets not forge the 911 is affordable.

Just saying...that visual excitement is lacking with the 911. Everything else -- it is probably the best value sports car in the world; it is an incredible vehicle...but if you open your garage to an Aston Martin or a 458 Italia...its a different feeling than opening to a Porsche 911. (However, the front of the Panamera is the best lookign front Porsche has, the Cayenne isn't bad)...the 911 simply needs more curves and more width and it'll be ok. The 996 was a mean looking car because the lights didn't give it the frog-eye look.

Edit: This being said, I look forward to purchasing the new 991...yet the visual excitement of the R8 always makes me think twice.

Last edited by TheRox; 04-09-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by DBV
Sounds to me like you need some proper seat time in a GT3.
GT3 is a phenomenal car...probably the best driver's car in the world but is it too much to ask that she look somewhat as visually exciting as the 458 italia or lambo? Thats all I'm saying.

Just because this thread is about how the future 911 is going to look.

Since I'm int he market for one...I hope they take design elements from the Panamera's FRONT...increase the width or just make the nose look thinner and less frog-eyed.

Its hard to fix the back because the engine is there so those proportions are forever skewed.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:18 PM
jumpinjohn is infamous around these parts
GT3 is a phenomenal car...probably the best driver's car in the world but is it too much to ask that she look somewhat as visually exciting as the 458 italia or lambo? Thats all I'm saying.

Just because this thread is about how the future 911 is going to look.

Since I'm int he market for one...I hope they take design elements from the Panamera's FRONT...increase the width or just make the nose look thinner and less frog-eyed.

Its hard to fix the back because the engine is there so those proportions are forever skewed.
I guess not everyone wants to drive a car that looks like a Ferrari... At least not every day... I am waiting for the new 911 to drive everyday. If it looks too much like an exotic, though, I will pass. Not interested in that for my DD.

-J

Old 04-10-2011, 02:34 AM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
I don't see anyone arguing that the 911 is a looker, and no one will.[...] Just saying...that visual excitement is lacking with the 911.
Actually, I think I just mentioned how attractive I find the current design. Yes, it's a looker. If you want visual excitement to find beauty, you just expressing a preference for high school cheerleaders over beautiful women. You're entitled to a sincere opinion of course, but since you combine this with the silly idea of buying a Porsche to have a bargain, I'd say you're just exercising a trollish impulse.

Which is boring.

G

Old 04-10-2011, 08:06 AM
jumpinjohn is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by simsgw
Actually, I think I just mentioned how attractive I find the current design. Yes, it's a looker. If you want visual excitement to find beauty, you just expressing a preference for high school cheerleaders over beautiful women. You're entitled to a sincere opinion of course, but since you combine this with the silly idea of buying a Porsche to have a bargain, I'd say you're just exercising a trollish impulse.

Which is boring.

G
Well said.
If I wanted a Ferrari, I'd get one, or R8. But I have always loved the Porsche, so that's what I'll buy. Only debate in my mind is 2011 or 2012... And for the record, my wife prefers the Porsche hands down to the Ferrari, or Lamborghini, or McLaren, etc. She kinda likes the R8. And that is entirely based on the looks alone, so she and I will argue that the Porsche is indeed a looker. We both think so.

Back to topic, does anyone have an idea of when the 991 will debut officially?

-J

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Official 2012 Porsche 991 911. Spy Shots, Renderings, Details, etc.