If Porsche Changes To keyless...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:35 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Holy crap. What's wrong with a damn button - standard?

They could do it in typical Porsche fashion - charge extra $1k for an actual key. Keyless is the way to go. Just so damn convenient.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Playersexpress is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Holy crap. What's wrong with a damn button - standard?

They could do it in typical Porsche fashion - charge extra $1k for an actual key. Keyless is the way to go. Just so damn convenient.

So damn convenient.... Just wait till it BREAKS! Then you'll conveniently have to take out a second mortgage to pay for the repair/replacement of a stupid system that destroys tradition.

Do you know that the more complicated something mechanical is, the more likely hood that one piece will fail sooner than a mechanical object with less moving/working parts? Oh and the more complicated, the harder it is to determine what caused the problem or what the problem is, and the more expensive it is to fix.

NO THANK YOU. I'll take my key and manual headlights. Porsche can go pound dirt when they realize how much these "gimmicks" are going to hurt their business.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:53 AM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
A Phallic Key? Another cue taken from Aston Martin?

I don't want some fake key permanently stuck in my dash.
Aston Martin is a two steps pointless process, insert key, push in and start. But at least it is one very good looking key.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:03 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
lol, this is turning into a "phantom discussion".

Porsche has got their own head and way in many things and
a huge respect/love for its traditions and that´s good.

- while other automakers went with MMI, i-drive etc. (all-in-one solutions) Porsche decided to stick to its traditions: direct/shortest ways, from button to function. so the center consoles are full of buttons in today´s Porsches. i like it cause that has always been their philosophy.

- while every other automaker went with a starter button, Porsche again goes traditional ways.
"one hand turns the key - the other is on the gear lever"
it´s their good ol´ racing theme/heritage.

1) if u want 100% tradition then just don`t order "entry & drive", ffs!
2) if you ordered "entry & drive" and feel uncomfortable with the fake key
permanently stuck in the dash board just put in somewhere in the door panel or armrest after your drive, it`s not rocket science.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:04 AM
11CayenneS is infamous around these parts
I find this very interesting as a topic. I don't see how a car loses it's heritage by having a different key system. As to the comments of more complicated equals very likely to fail, isn't that what Porsche 911's are about? Creating technology to make a rear engine car actually perform well? If you buy into more complicated is bad, then porsche has been on your bad list for the last couple variants of the 911 especially with Dfi engines, the massively complicated computer systems etc etc

I understand the passion for this car, but at the same time, in order for this car to stay relevant technology will be needed. I guarantee that if Porsche stops pushing the innovation envelope that most would not consider the new offerings as all the other cars catch up and surpass it

Old 09-21-2011, 10:13 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Playersexpress
So damn convenient.... Just wait till it BREAKS! Then you'll conveniently have to take out a second mortgage to pay for the repair/replacement of a stupid system that destroys tradition.

Do you know that the more complicated something mechanical is, the more likely hood that one piece will fail sooner than a mechanical object with less moving/working parts? Oh and the more complicated, the harder it is to determine what caused the problem or what the problem is, and the more expensive it is to fix.

NO THANK YOU. I'll take my key and manual headlights. Porsche can go pound dirt when they realize how much these "gimmicks" are going to hurt their business.
I know in the GT-R, we have a keyless system. It uses a keyfob which contains a small key that is used in case the battery in the fob dies or something in the proximity system fails. Once the key is used to ingress the car, you can insert the keyfob into a specific slot, which then activates the system (connected to the steering column). This technology has been around for decades.

I can't imagine Porsche would not have a backup system. That said - my daughter's VW had a problem with the remote keyfob, and it disabled the engine (theft proof BS). Had to have dealer reset it.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:35 AM
MR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to behold

LOL I couldn't be more different than you..as I'm sure you know, the whole heritage of the left side key is that it was faster to run to the car, start it with the left hand, while putting it in gear with the right...the point was efficiency and speed to get any advantage during the race. So let me ask you, what is faster? trying to start the car by fumbling with the key in your left hand, or not having to bother with the key at all?
this is something that drove me nuts when I first got the pcar. that and my manual headlights...seriously??

Old 09-21-2011, 05:52 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Originally Posted by mdc
Aston Martin is a two steps pointless process, insert key, push in and start. But at least it is one very good looking key.
With a glowing red 'receptacle' to put it in...

Old 09-21-2011, 05:53 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
lol, this is turning into a "phantom discussion".

Porsche has got their own head and way in many things and
a huge respect/love for its traditions and that´s good.

- while other automakers went with MMI, i-drive etc. (all-in-one solutions) Porsche decided to stick to its traditions: direct/shortest ways, from button to function. so the center consoles are full of buttons in today´s Porsches. i like it cause that has always been their philosophy.

- while every other automaker went with a starter button, Porsche again goes traditional ways.
"one hand turns the key - the other is on the gear lever"
it´s their good ol´ racing theme/heritage.

1) if u want 100% tradition then just don`t order "entry & drive", ffs!
2) if you ordered "entry & drive" and feel uncomfortable with the fake key
permanently stuck in the dash board just put in somewhere in the door panel or armrest after your drive, it`s not rocket science.
Okay now we have some clarity here. It it's removable as you say, I don't see problem.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:04 AM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
keyless go is only good when u only have 1 person that drives the car.

I hate it when i'm driving a keyless go equipped car and I get off and have my driver take the car somewhere else, but the key is still in my pocket.

for the porsche, this is the option i'll never get.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:12 AM
Originally Posted by Crea

I hate it when i'm driving a keyless go equipped car and I get off and have my driver take the car somewhere else, but the key is still in my pocket.

That almost happened to me... But how many times do you do Chinese fire drills in a Porsche? Enough to bring two keyfobs with you?

I like that when I go out, my DD doesn't need my keys. They are in my pocket. You don't need them to start my car - you need ME to start the car. So shovel my *** out there if you have to, but the car will NOT start unless I'm in it (or you've robbed me).

Old 09-22-2011, 06:29 PM
iceman912 is infamous around these parts

Well i am sure PORSCHE will not miss your business. 90% of 991 buyers will forgive porshe for this OPTION! N Btw if u understand porsche better before throwing the bricks at them, NORMAL keys come as STANDARD on all 991. WTF is your problem?

Old 09-22-2011, 07:05 PM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of
Goodbye...

Old 09-22-2011, 07:06 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Crea

You have a driver? Are you hiring? I know how to drive. ; }

Old 09-22-2011, 08:06 PM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
Auto headlights will be nice. I HATE that the 997.1 does not have auto headlights yet pretty much any BMW, Lexus, Acura, etc of the same period had them. The manual lights killed my battery once when I forgot that I had the parking lights on while pulling the car into the garage at dusk. When getting out of the car I figured it was just set in the home position...WRONG. Found out the hard way...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: If Porsche Changes To keyless...