Porsche will build a stick-shift 911 as long as the customer asks for it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:40 AM
GT6
GT6 is infamous around these parts
Porsche will build a stick-shift 911 as long as the customer asks for it

"...both the Carrera and Carrera S models with the PDK are quicker to 60 mph and
more fuel efficient than the stick-shift equipped versions. But as long as the customer
asks for it, says Muller, Porsche will build a stick-shift 911.
The next GT3, he says, will not have a PDK transmission...."
Full interview: Interview with Porsche CEO Matthias Muller - Motor Trend

Last edited by GT6; 09-23-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:58 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
great decision BUT why no PDK option on the next GT3 (together with the 7-speed)?

Old 09-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
great decision BUT why no PDK option on the next GT3 (together with the 7-speed)?
it always puzzled me as well. GT3 will be a beast with PDK.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:20 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Ok so now make a MT Panamera and bring it to North America.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:20 AM
6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough
This is a great statement...I wish BMW and MB followed this as well

Old 09-23-2011, 11:33 AM
Tuskir has a spectacular aura aboutTuskir has a spectacular aura about
Weight is probably the main reason, PDK is about 70lbs heavier while the goal of GT3 is to make the lightest 911 possible.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:25 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tuskir
Weight is probably the main reason, PDK is about 70lbs heavier while the goal of GT3 is to make the lightest 911 possible.

The manual saves weight agreed, but the combination with PDK is def. the fastest round a track.
I mean the 991 carrera S, that posted the new 7:40 Carrera Ring record, was equipped with PDK.
Releasing the next GT3 without a manual would be blasphemy, but a 991GT3 without a PDK option would be a huge mistake imo.

Maybe Porsche is too worried that a standard GT3 with PDK could be too close to a PDK Turbo, while being significantly cheaper!

Old 09-23-2011, 01:02 PM
911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of
Excellence Magazine states that North American tatstes are more traditional in regards to transmission choices - we still like sticks

Old 09-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Karen England
Excellence Magazine states that North American tatstes are more traditional in regards to transmission choices - we still like sticks
agreed, driving a stick shift is certainly not outdated, but PDK has attracted & will attract new customers and i see no reason why not to offer both in future GT cars.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:22 PM
911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of
agreed, driving a stick shift is certainly not outdated, but PDK has attracted & will attract new customers and i see no reason why not to offer both in future GT cars.
I think so too, but for some reason the PDK just didn't 'do it' for me

Old 09-23-2011, 01:42 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Refreshing to see Porsche staying true to MT..

Old 09-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Karen England
I think so too, but for some reason the PDK just didn't 'do it' for me

i totally understand that but i guess even Porsche will dump manuals in their cars somewhere in the future.
not tomorrow or next year but i think there is no escape!

Old 09-24-2011, 12:01 AM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
i totally understand that but i guess even Porsche will dump manuals in their cars somewhere in the future.
not tomorrow or next year but i think there is no escape!
I totally agree that there is no escape.

It's no sweat off my back. I would always opt out for pdk because I refuse to drive a stick in LA traffic.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by Inglorious
I totally agree that there is no escape.

It's no sweat off my back. I would always opt out for pdk because I refuse to drive a stick in LA traffic.
so we`ll see no additional campaign with "save the manuals" from you then, well, i can live with that...

Old 09-24-2011, 01:16 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Tuskir
The new 7spd is based off of the same transmission as the PDK, so weight difference should be minimal, far less than the current 997 boxes.

I'm actually somewhat surprised that the PDK isn't planned for a 991 GT3. Given that the new models will be using similar engines (3.8 DFI-derived), I don't see why a GT3 wouldn't be available with PDK. If PDK can handle 530+ hp from a 997.2 TTS, it can handle a GT3.

While I still prefer a stick, this does confuse me a little. The GT3 isn't about being lighter, it's about being FASTER around a track without turbos...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche will build a stick-shift 911 as long as the customer asks for it