Engineering has killed the 911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 02:54 PM
kw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by nc 997
it's all about technology.. At some point we'll all sit back and 'tell' the car where we want to go, and it'll wake us up when we get there.

I recently saw a segment of "chasing classic cars" where wayne carini attended a cars & coffee event in socal. He was talking to a fella he knows who happens to be an engineer at ford (i think it was ford). The guy had driven his pristine porsche 356 to the event. Their conversation focused on how easy the car was to work on (i seem to remember the engineer saying something like, "everything in the car can be fixed with a pair of pliers and a screw driver.").

The bottom line in all this is that even an automotive engineer 'gets it'. We've made cars so safe and so fast that driving at speed has almost become mundane (not really, but almost).

There's a lot to be said about technological advances in high end cars. There's also a lot to be said about the simplicity and enjoyment of driving a classic.

I'll take one of each...

+1 :d

Old 10-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
I for one don't mind all the advancements. My first Porsche was a 996 C4. What I really wanted was a 993 C4S, but this was to be a daily driver. At 6'4 270 pounds at the time, that was going to be one hell of an uncomfortable drive every day.

These days I drive a 996 X50 as a daily driver. I've often considered whether I should get a GT2 instead, but at the end of the day, having such a great car that can be driven anywhere anytime is pretty awesome. I even have a couple of back seats to throw my little kids in for short trips.

As others have posted earlier in the thread, in my ideal world I'd have a "regular" Turbo as a daily driver and a GT2 or GT3RS as my fun car that also does all the track duty.

Porsche just continues to cater to the masses and you can't argue with their sales figures. At the end of the day, they're in business to make money, and their corporate strategy has done one hell of a job turning a relatively niche car company into a giant. We should just be thankful they've kept true to their heritage in producing cars like the GT2 and GT3 RS and RSR versions, and continue to be a very big name in the racing world.

They could've gone the way of Mitsubishi when they decided to stop making the EVO any more and just build regular Lancers.
I agree with you. Actually, when I said I understood the sentiment, I meant that I understand that some people would feel this way about the newer Porsches. However, I am pretty happy that I can have a high performance car that is fun on the track (or "spirited" street driving), while also being a safe and comfortable daily driver. I, for one, am not missing the excitement that comes with the possibility that your back end could come swinging around at any time with very little warning.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:09 PM
turtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really nice
Originally Posted by dutch77
I guess porsche factory is catering more to regular drivers and safety.
According to the Excellence magazine, they are also focusing on emerging markets like China, Russia and India as well.

Last edited by turtle n hare; 10-09-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:19 PM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
No one I know spends a lot of time "sliding" their 911 around. I think you're watching too much Top Gear. The new 991 will still be a car that, on the track, will still be fun to trail brake and to pivot using throttle off. Given where the engine remains in the 991, it will still rotate around the front axle.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:58 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
The rest of the automotive world is moving forward with technology. If Porsche doesn't continue they will undoubtedly loose their position. It is a matter of course. There will always be a more raw version to satisfy the thrill seekers. In the mean time, I think that it is great that Porsche is moving forward. It makes me interested in them again.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:43 AM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by turtle n hare
According to the Excellence magazine, they are also focusing on emerging markets like China, Russia and India.
China is probably the biggest market now. But ppl in China hardly buys 911. All they buy is Panamera and Cayenne.... or Cayman/Boxster. There is probably ONE 911 out of Twenty Panamera sold here!

I have not seen another 911 in the area that I live at all. There are actually more Gallardo than 911 in my area!

Right now the waiting list to buy ANY Porsche in china is around 2 years. Porsche have trouble keeping display cars in their showroom!

Old 10-09-2011, 04:25 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
I don't want a car that oversteers. It should be neutral and a little understeer is better than oversteer. Porsche is spot on imo

Old 10-09-2011, 08:30 AM
turtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really nice
Thats so interesting. The money that is spent over there must be crazy. Thanks for sharing what another part of the world does.

A 2 year waiting must carry a heavy over sticker price since a person must wait so long.

Originally Posted by Crea
China is probably the biggest market now. But ppl in China hardly buys 911. All they buy is Panamera and Cayenne.... or Cayman/Boxster. There is probably ONE 911 out of Twenty Panamera sold here!

I have not seen another 911 in the area that I live at all. There are actually more Gallardo than 911 in my area!

Right now the waiting list to buy ANY Porsche in china is around 2 years. Porsche have trouble keeping display cars in their showroom!

Old 10-09-2011, 09:42 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by turtle n hare
Thats so interesting. The money that is spent over there must be crazy. Thanks for sharing what another part of the world does.

A 2 year waiting must carry a heavy over sticker price since a person must wait so long.

that´s why i love the internet/forums. It´s so interesting to see what´s going on in other parts of the world. even tho we may live in different parts of the world and have different native languages, we share similar desires and thoughts. we are all connected and that is so cool!
as far as germany is concerned, Cayenne and Panamera sales are much stronger than 911 sales. but the 911 is still the sportscar u`ll see most on the streets here. Cayman and Boxsters are a rarity over here. but that´s typical german, we love, love, love Wagons and SUVs. much more than we love sedans or coupes, even tho they are much sexier. first practicality, then looks.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:02 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
that´s why i love the internet/forums. It´s so interesting to see what´s going on in other parts of the world. even tho we may live in different parts of the world and have different native languages, we share similar desires and thoughts. we are all connected and that is so cool!
as far as germany is concerned, Cayenne and Panamera sales are much stronger than 911 sales. but the 911 is still the sportscar u`ll see most on the streets here. Cayman and Boxsters are a rarity over here. but that´s typical german, we love, love, love Wagons and SUVs. much more than we love sedans or coupes, even tho they are much sexier. first practicality, then looks.
If you go to London, you'll see no Cayennes, very few Boxsters/Caymans, and one 911 for every 30 Astons.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:28 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
If you go to London, you'll see no Cayennes, very few Boxsters/Caymans, and one 911 for every 30 Astons.

i have been to London about 20 times (business).
mainly with a car, using seacat (to Dover), M25 etc.
i agree, have seen not too many Porsches but many exotics.
but here is my thought:

the traffic in and around London is so annoying (in some areas u need an hour for 2 miles). Porsche is a driver´s car and driving is not really possible in London, so i understand that people take an exotic instead. at least u can have fun showing off a bit.

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 10-10-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:40 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Yeah I could agree with that. I spent a month of last year in London on business, and go there every couple of months for a week at a time this year. You're more likely to see a Lambo or Ferrari than a 911. But Astons are everywhere. There's one small street on the east side of Hyde Park where I counted 11 Astons one day. The street might be 500 feet long but I bet it's closer to 300.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Yeah I could agree with that. I spent a month of last year in London on business, and go there every couple of months for a week at a time this year. You're more likely to see a Lambo or Ferrari than a 911. But Astons are everywhere. There's one small street on the east side of Hyde Park where I counted 11 Astons one day. The street might be 500 feet long but I bet it's closer to 300.
esp. the financial district and around Harrods is full of exotics.
The "City Boys" used to drive Porsches 20 years ago.
That´s why Clarkson started to hate Porsche, cause he hated those guys.
Now they are driving Lambos, Keggs etc.
But he is still hating Porsche, lol.

Here is one of the reasons for the AM overdose:

http://www.globalmotors.net/aston-martin-named-the-coolest-brand-in-uk/

now imagine where AM would be without the british market?
Surely in the hands of Tata or Mercedes etc.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Registered PM
hdpt73 is infamous around these partshdpt73 is infamous around these partshdpt73 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by brownan
No one I know spends a lot of time "sliding" their 911 around. I think you're watching too much Top Gear. The new 991 will still be a car that, on the track, will still be fun to trail brake and to pivot using throttle off. Given where the engine remains in the 991, it will still rotate around the front axle.

I don't watch Top Gear, in fact I hardly watch TV. But to assume I do just because I like fishtailing now and again is very narrow minded. Does everyone who enjoys a little sliding watch Top Gear as well? If you own a 911 and you've never gassed it enough to let the tail swing then you are probably just using the car to get attention. Why else would you put up with the bumpy ride vs just getting a Lexus? When the joy of owning a 911 has been engineered out of the car, I'll go buy a Lambo or a Ferrari to satisfy my love of cars. Most likely I'll switch to an Aston.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Good grief.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engineering has killed the 911