Engineering has killed the 911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 07:06 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
I bought the 997.2 for it's timeless shape, build quality, reliability, brakes, steering response. I am a novice driver, don't drift/fishtail and have no plans to buy a lexus ever.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:04 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
I bought the 997.2 for it's timeless shape, build quality, reliability, brakes, steering response. I am a novice driver, don't drift/fishtail and have no plans to buy a lexus ever.
What he said minus the novice driver LOL.. hehe.. w00t your not a novice! Add Mercedes, Audi, and Lexus to my list ok maybe an LFA or R8 V10

Old 10-13-2011, 07:13 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
here is the explanation:

Old 10-13-2011, 09:51 AM
Registered PM
hdpt73 is infamous around these partshdpt73 is infamous around these partshdpt73 is infamous around these parts
If you read this article, the author asked Walter to slide the car. Walter then had a smile on his face before attempting to slide it only to find out it wouldn't slide. He then said something along the lines of "this can't be right?". I know the majority of drivers won't drive like sir Walter but we all get frisky once in a while. I totally understand the biz is biz concept and we have to compete. But just remember the old timers who got you there where you are today and respect the past. Newer is not always better. Porsche has enough touring cars, Panamera, Cayenne, 911 Turbo. Why feel the need to make all of them touring? I bet the majority of buyers nowadays are even choosing automatic over stick.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:05 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hdpt73
If you read this article, the author asked Walter to slide the car. Walter then had a smile on his face before attempting to slide it only to find out it wouldn't slide. He then said something along the lines of "this can't be right?". I know the majority of drivers won't drive like sir Walter but we all get frisky once in a while. I totally understand the biz is biz concept and we have to compete. But just remember the old timers who got you there where you are today and respect the past. Newer is not always better. Porsche has enough touring cars, Panamera, Cayenne, 911 Turbo. Why feel the need to make all of them touring? I bet the majority of buyers nowadays are even choosing automatic over stick.
For people like this, I present the Chevy Corvette.

Engineering is what made the 911 great in the first place... Now it's great-er.

It's not engineering, it's sales. Engineering never makes things worse, it's the choice of technologies chosen for a certain model to appeal to a certain buyer. Porsche made the choice to appeal to the majority of its future clients. Why would Porsche care about people who have had a 911 for 20 years? What have they done for Porsche lately?

Old 10-13-2011, 10:09 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
ah come on, the new 911 is NOT a touring car.
it´s just more precise, focused, clinical and less tricky, less capricious and easier to handle.
Yup.. perfect!

Old 10-13-2011, 10:09 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
it´s just more precise, focused, clinical and less tricky, less capricious and easier to handle.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Rec Racing has a spectacular aura aboutRec Racing has a spectacular aura about
It is real quite simple, at least in my opinion. If Porsche had the luxury of building the cars it wanted for the true Porsche enthusiast you would still see 964s and 993s on the showroom floor. Disagree with me? Go price a used 996 Turbo versus a used 993 Turbo. The point is they have built a very successful business based on their ability to maintain the Porsche feeling while catering to the masses. The majority of their potential customers want air conditioning that works, a great stereo, decent fuel economy, and all of the other creature comforts they can get elsewhere. Even with the compromise it is still a Porsche.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Registered PM
hdpt73 is infamous around these partshdpt73 is infamous around these partshdpt73 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Rec Racing
It is real quite simple, at least in my opinion. If Porsche had the luxury of building the cars it wanted for the true Porsche enthusiast you would still see 964s and 993s on the showroom floor. Disagree with me? Go price a used 996 Turbo versus a used 993 Turbo. The point is they have built a very successful business based on their ability to maintain the Porsche feeling while catering to the masses. The majority of their potential customers want air conditioning that works, a great stereo, decent fuel economy, and all of the other creature comforts they can get elsewhere. Even with the compromise it is still a Porsche.
+1 on this. It STILL is a Porsche. Part of the reason I liked the 996 over the 993 was the refinement.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:29 PM
SpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Rec Racing
I think Porsche still builds the cars it wants! The 996 GT3, 997 GT3RS, 997 GT2RS etc. etc. I think people confuse "nostalgia" with "better." Nobody forced Porsche to go to a liquid cooled engine in the 996. They went to it because in engineering terms, they could not develop the aircooled technology anymore! They had switched to liquid cooling in their race cars long before the 996 was introduced to the public because air cooling is not efficient and would not work as well the power levels of the engines increased.

993 Turbos are more expensive than 996 Turbos because 993s were produced in MUCH smaller numbers than the 996s not because they are better cars! It is simply a supply issue in the demand supply equation. When the 993 was in production, Porsche as a company was on its knees and very near bankruptcy and not many people wanted to buy Porsches! The 996 had wider appeal so it sold better. Porsche still makes the cars they want. The evidence is in the Nurburgring times of every successive model they build!

Old 10-13-2011, 03:38 PM
SpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
Absolutely agree! The 991 is faster than every comparable Porsche before it! Meaning C2 to C2 or C2S to C2S etc. I cannot wait for the 991 Turbo!

Old 10-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by SpeeddemonC2
I think Porsche still builds the cars it wants! The 996 GT3, 997 GT3RS, 997 GT2RS etc. etc. I think people confuse "nostalgia" with "better." Nobody forced Porsche to go to a liquid cooled engine in the 996. They went to it because in engineering terms, they could not develop the aircooled technology anymore! They had switched to liquid cooling in their race cars long before the 996 was introduced to the public because air cooling is not efficient and would not work as well the power levels of the engines increased.

993 Turbos are more expensive than 996 Turbos because 993s were produced in MUCH smaller numbers than the 996s not because they are better cars! It is simply a supply issue in the demand supply equation. When the 993 was in production, Porsche as a company was on its knees and very near bankruptcy and not many people wanted to buy Porsches! The 996 had wider appeal so it sold better. Porsche still makes the cars they want. The evidence is in the Nurburgring times of every successive model they build!
+1 Don't forget the GTS and the Speedster. Porsche also had to go to water cooling for emission requirements.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:47 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
from what i have read and seen so far i get into impression that new 991 model will join gt-r and r8 cars in the same class of non-servicable (in DIY terms) computer-controlled marvels. an average driver will get much faster in that car, advanced driver most likely will be dissapointed.

i am waiting to see what 991 gt3 and 991 cup cars will look like. then we will decide what to do.
with very good probability current 997.2 gt3 rs and gts cars will probably hold their value for long long time - driven mostly by simplicity of components and availability of cheap clutch replacement kits, relatively servicable gearbox, motor, etc. time will show.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:58 PM
GaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really niceGaFFLe is just really nice
... Porsche has enough touring cars, Panamera, Cayenne, 911 Turbo...
I resent that...

Old 10-13-2011, 06:54 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GaFFLe
I resent that...
It is still true.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engineering has killed the 911