Engineering has killed the 911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 04:58 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
... First build a better handling, faster, more comfortable, new 911 and then develop a cramped, less technically advanced, more difficult to drive variant that we can all start *****ing about again. Brilliant. Those sneaky Germans. Lol.

Exactly!!

Old 10-20-2011, 05:34 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
a new, sub cayman/boxster model, codenamed 551 is already on the way.
and i am sure it is not the last small(er) model:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...announced.html
I vaguely recall those rumors and renderings... I like the idea. But they'll need a coupe version as well to complete the junior model.

Actually, if it comes out, I'd take a closer look at it.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:26 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
With every new 911 the 911 is getting less of the 911. God or bad? I am damned if I know?

Old 10-25-2011, 07:19 AM
Registered PM
hdpt73 is infamous around these partshdpt73 is infamous around these partshdpt73 is infamous around these parts
I've been thinking of what has been done right in the 991. If I dwell on what went wrong, I would never look at any porsche past 964. I hope Porsche has found solutions for the IMS and 2nd gear pop out that has plagued their Carreras. I know it would be a long shot to have the rms issue fixed but I will definately go for a test drive when they reach Austin and if I can get past the electronic steering or the non-sliding tail. I may put a deposit on one.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:40 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by hdpt73
I've been thinking of what has been done right in the 991. If I dwell on what went wrong, I would never look at any porsche past 964. I hope Porsche has found solutions for the IMS and 2nd gear pop out that has plagued their Carreras. I know it would be a long shot to have the rms issue fixed but I will definately go for a test drive when they reach Austin and if I can get past the electronic steering or the non-sliding tail. I may put a deposit on one.
To my knowledge the rms and 2nd gear pop out issue was a 996tt issue. I have not heard of any of this in the 997 line up. I could be wrong but that's what I thought.
I think part of the overall issue is that sometimes people just get tired of things and need to move on for the sake of change. Maybe moving on works best or sometimes it creates a greater appreciation for what we have had. I almost moved to a Db9 and a few others because I had already gone through several P car variants and thought it time for something different. In the end I stay with Porsche because I could not think of any times the cars have really let me down.
Maybe not the most extravagantly appointed interior on the road but it works, maybe not the most modern shape in the world but you know what it is when you see it and it doesn't have to say "look at me" all the time, maybe not the fastest high end sports car out there but near the top of the group, and maybe not the most reliable and affordable maintenance wise or maybe it is, not so bad. I'll stay with them for now.
JS

Old 10-31-2011, 08:00 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche had no choice to change and adapt if it was going to survive. The 964 almost put the company under. The 993 saved it but it was only a temporary measure. Porsche was basically using the same engineering in the original 911 through the 993. It was getting too expensive to build and modify to meet ever more stringent emissions and fuel consumption requirements. Porsche turned to the Japanese to learn how to build a quality car that did not cost a fortune. If Porsche had used it's existing expertise the 996 would have cost over $100,000 to build. Porsche was also concerned about losing its 911 base of buyers (which was shrinking). They tested the new design build system on the Boxster which exceeded Porsche's expectations not only in sales but by expanding the buying base especially among women. The 996 experienced the same sales results and had the highest first time 911 buyers of any prior car in the series (but also the worst sales record for existing 911 owners). Although the new water cooled motor did have some major problems in the beginning. The GT2/GT3 variants (with the split case motor and the return to more tradition styling of the 997 brought existing 911 owners back into the showrooms. It is better to have the 991 in it's current form than not have one at all.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
Porsche had no choice to change and adapt if it was going to survive. The 964 almost put the company under. The 993 saved it but it was only a temporary measure. Porsche was basically using the same engineering in the original 911 through the 993. It was getting too expensive to build and modify to meet ever more stringent emissions and fuel consumption requirements. Porsche turned to the Japanese to learn how to build a quality car that did not cost a fortune. If Porsche had used it's existing expertise the 996 would have cost over $100,000 to build. Porsche was also concerned about losing its 911 base of buyers (which was shrinking). They tested the new design build system on the Boxster which exceeded Porsche's expectations not only in sales but by expanding the buying base especially among women. The 996 experienced the same sales results and had the highest first time 911 buyers of any prior car in the series (but also the worst sales record for existing 911 owners). Although the new water cooled motor did have some major problems in the beginning. The GT2/GT3 variants (with the split case motor and the return to more tradition styling of the 997 brought existing 911 owners back into the showrooms. It is better to have the 991 in it's current form than not have one at all.
Overall, I like this post...

but -

They tested the new design build system on the Boxster which exceeded Porsche's expectations not only in sales but by expanding the buying base especially among women.
HA!

Old 11-01-2011, 03:30 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
Agreed super nice post! Thanks.. rep points

Old 11-01-2011, 12:51 PM
GAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to behold
I'm hearing from Porsche NA people that the 991 will indeed take the route of being more of a tourer (I use that term somewhat loosely) and the new Cayman will ultimately get the motor it's deserved for many many years. Nothing earth-shattering in that prediction but it will be interesting to see just how far they take the Cayman over the next few cycles.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:13 AM
texas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura about
Do you remember reading about the driving experience of a 911, and then the first time you actually got in one?

As long as Porsche designs a vehicle that emphasizes performance, quality and driving experience I am happy. If they break the 911, they'll fix the 911.

When I read about the mid vs rear engine discussions, I just ask, do you want to play the game on normal or hard mode? At our weekend-warrior level, does it really matter whats faster? Apparently people who like the challenge make more money, hence the 911 premium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBrXft_p7Kg

Last edited by texas355; 11-02-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by GAM3OVR
I'm hearing from Porsche NA people that the 991 will indeed take the route of being more of a tourer (I use that term somewhat loosely) and the new Cayman will ultimately get the motor it's deserved for many many years. Nothing earth-shattering in that prediction but it will be interesting to see just how far they take the Cayman over the next few cycles.
I highly doubt this about the Cayman, but agree the 911 (non GT3/2 variants) is becoming more of a tourer/DD car, with the Turbo even more so-just with lots more power. I will be interested in how the 991GT3 and 2 turn out-I recall reading Mueller saying there definitely will be a 991GT2-perhaps in Porsche Panorama mag?