Any 991 Turbo news .... ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Bagger has a spectacular aura aboutBagger has a spectacular aura aboutBagger has a spectacular aura about
Any 991 Turbo news .... ???

Anyone know when the new 991 Turbo will break cover? I saw couple write ups in the auto mags of the new 2012 911 ... no "1st drives", but passenger seat ride alongs.

Most like the new car a great deal. Making me wonder about the new Turbo as my lease is about 6 months from ending. And, I do like my 997 Turbo.

991 seems like an odd number, too. Wonder about that.

Any information?

Old 10-11-2011, 01:32 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
no real news but usually itīs 2 years between the release of the Carrera and the Turbo.
so i guess 2013 earliest.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:28 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Old 10-11-2011, 07:44 AM
Bagger has a spectacular aura aboutBagger has a spectacular aura aboutBagger has a spectacular aura about
I'm certainly no expert on the configuration, but this car looks very like the 997.2 rather than the new Carrera I've seen in the magazines. ??

Old 10-11-2011, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by Bagger
I'm certainly no expert on the configuration, but this car looks very like the 997.2 rather than the new Carrera I've seen in the magazines. ??

u mean the car in the vid? it`s defo the new Turbo.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Yeah ... after looking at this video and a couple others, I see the difference. Sure has a different front and back end on it compared to the 991 Carrera, tho.

Blinkers, facia all look more like the 997 than the new car. Could be some cladding I can't make out.

I'll reserve more judgement until I get better photos of the car ... and different color, too. Black is hard to see all the variations of the car. Silver would show much better.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:13 AM
itīs still heavily disguised, but u can tell by the reverse exhaust outlets or the new shape of the cabriolet roof etc.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:25 AM
GT2996TT has a spectacular aura aboutGT2996TT has a spectacular aura about
I know someone who has followed one on the Ring a few weeks ago and said that it was absolutely stupid fast!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Yes, the camo may have me more than a bit confused ... and the black hides more, too. The gold Carerra in the mag I was looking at appeared better looking than the 'spy shots' I saw previously. Sorta liked it.

Regarding "stupid fast" .... from what I have been told (not sure it's the truth), the 997 was pretty much just a reclad of the 996. Using many of the same/same components with new skin. The new car ... 991 version ... is "an all new car from the chassis up". This could make the car handle much better than the 997, and the longer wheel base/wider foot print may help speed at the Ring as well.

But, I'm just a DD of my 997 Turbo .... what do I know?

Old 10-11-2011, 08:50 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
sub'd

Old 10-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Yes, the camo may have me more than a bit confused ... and the black hides more, too. The gold Carerra in the mag I was looking at appeared better looking than the 'spy shots' I saw previously. Sorta liked it.

Regarding "stupid fast" .... from what I have been told (not sure it's the truth), the 997 was pretty much just a reclad of the 996. Using many of the same/same components with new skin. The new car ... 991 version ... is "an all new car from the chassis up". This could make the car handle much better than the 997, and the longer wheel base/wider foot print may help speed at the Ring as well.

But, I'm just a DD of my 997 Turbo .... what do I know?

yep, the 991 is all new, unlike the 997.
the car will be much quicker. the 991 carrera according to Porsche is 13 seconds quicker in the best set up. so i guess the new Turbo will be somewhere in the 7.20s.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:22 AM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
The easiest way to spot 991 is the location of the rear view mirror. But at a glance, it does looks like 997.2 TT because the side air intake is so distinctive to 997

Old 10-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
yep, the 991 is all new, unlike the 997.
the car will be much quicker. the 991 carrera according to Porsche is 13 seconds quicker in the best set up. so i guess the new Turbo will be somewhere in the 7.20s.
The new car may be stupid fast, but the present day Turbo is no slouch. I'm not much of a track guy, but the acceleration of my car is pretty astonishing in a straight line with around 500 hp.

But, I know how the present car handles ... it's alright, but I still get some bump steer when I hit 90* corners too fast and there's more oscillation than I'd like, too. However, I'm getting to old to be doing such stuff. I should dial it back to 7/10ths.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by mdc
The easiest way to spot 991 is the location of the rear view mirror. But at a glance, it does looks like 997.2 TT because the side air intake is so distinctive to 997

yes, the mirrors are pretty obvious. i guess they like the fact that
some people are not sure whether itīs a new or an old model.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:40 AM
The new car may be stupid fast, but the present day Turbo is no slouch. I'm not much of a track guy, but the acceleration of my car is pretty astonishing in a straight line with around 500 hp.

But, I know how the present car handles ... it's alright, but I still get some bump steer when I hit 90* corners too fast and there's more oscillation than I'd like, too. However, I'm getting to old to be doing such stuff. I should dial it back to 7/10ths.

none of us will be able to come anywhere near those Ring times, itīs just numbers. But itīs still amazing how Porsche raises the bar with each new model. just when u thought, it couldn`t get much better, they create something that is off the charts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any 991 Turbo news .... ???