Sport Auto Supertest - 991 Carrera S PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 02:00 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Sport Auto Supertest - 991 Carrera S PDK

Equipment: 400 HP, PDK, PCCB, PASM -20 mm
Tyres: Pirelli P Zero N0
Weight: 1497 kg

NS: 7:44 min. (as fast as 997 Turbo S, 3 sec. faster than 997.1 GT3 RS, only 4 sec. slower than 997.2 GT3 on Cup-tyres.)
Hockenheim: 1:10,4 min. (as fast as 997.2 GT3 on semi-slicks, 3 (!) seconds faster than 997.2 S PDK, 0.4 seconds faster than 458 Italia.)
0 - 100km/h (62mph): 4.2sec.
0 - 200km/h (124mph): 14,1sec.
Braking 100-0 km/h cold/warm: 33,8 m (1,16 g) / 33,5 m (1,17 g)
Braking 200-0 km/h warm: 131,6 m (1,19 g)
36m slalom: 139 km/h
110m ISO evasive test: 156 km/h (997.2 GT3: 160 km/h)
Top Speed: 302 km/h (188mph)

P.S. The car was tested on Pirellis NOT Michelins this time, they had certain problems with the Pirellis, esp. in the wet.
Looks like it may be better to go with the good ol`Michelins!

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 11-20-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:05 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
This car is pretty impressive.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:23 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
This car is pretty impressive.

yep! esp. the Hockenheim numbers are unreal.
3 seconds faster than the 997.2 S PDK on such a short and tight course, that´s massive and shows how much the car seems to have improved dynamically/around corners.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:26 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I'm excited to see what the Turbo and GT3 variants will do.... Exciting time for 911 owners.

This type of performance will have me in the market for a 991 in short order.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:20 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I'm excited to see what the Turbo and GT3 variants will do.... Exciting time for 911 owners.

This type of performance will have me in the market for a 991 in short order.
I'm sure you'll pick one with PDK...

Just kidding.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:11 AM
Originally Posted by bbywu
I'm sure you'll pick one with PDK...

Just kidding.

Actually you're right. I'm not selling my Turbo, and it's my track car. I'm good in that area. So whatever I get will be for rare occasion DE and street purposes (maybe occasional drag strip run). I prefer a PDK for that. As long as it's not on a GT3.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
yep! esp. the Hockenheim numbers are unreal.
3 seconds faster than the 997.2 S PDK on such a short and tight course, that´s massive and shows how much the car seems to have improved dynamically/around corners.
3 seconds faster than a 458? I'm speechless.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by Sapster
3 seconds faster than a 458? I'm speechless.
"Hockenheim: 1:10,4 min. (as fast as 997.2 GT3 on semi-slicks, 3 (!) seconds faster than 997.2 S PDK, 0.4 seconds faster than 458 Italia.)"

only 0.4 seconds.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:09 AM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
"Hockenheim: 1:10,4 min. (as fast as 997.2 GT3 on semi-slicks, 3 (!) seconds faster than 997.2 S PDK, 0.4 seconds faster than 458 Italia.)"

only 0.4 seconds.
Sorry, misread that.

Still an extremely impressive result.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by Sapster
Sorry, misread that.

Still an extremely impressive result.

no doubt about that, amazing performance!

Old 11-21-2011, 12:54 PM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
I visited local Porsche Center today and had a long talk with a familiar service mechanic, who was last week in tarining at the factory. He also had lots of pics of the 991. Impressive technology, like the S's active anti roll bars. The chassis is mostly of aluminium, there's just "a ring" of different high tensile steels around the cabin...
BTW, 991S's front track is 2" more than 997's, so increased front grip must be one of the reasons for better track times, along longer wheelbase and active suspension & PDK.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:08 PM
HansGT2 is infamous around these parts
I just got my issue of sport auto (12/2011) in the mail and read the "supertest" of the new CS. This is what I found noteworthy:

The car was "fully" equipped with performance options -- sport exhaust, ceramic brakes, sport chrono plus, dynamic anti-roll bars, sport suspension -- and PDK. It also had an option which is not shown on the U.S. car configurator: 11.5 in rear rims with 305/30 ZR 20 tires. The rims are different in appearance too: a handsome 5-spoke design called "Sport Techno" according to the magazine.

Tires are Pirelli P Zeros specially developed for the car. The tester writes that they are about as sticky on dry, relatively warm roads as Michelin Sport Cups. They performed very poorly in the wet, considerably worse than Sport Cups on last year's GT3 (1.46.1 min vs. 1.29.0 min on their wet-handling course). The tread looks like a regular performance tire tread but the rubber composition apparently is quite radically designed for dry-road stickiness. I hope Porsche will offer the new Michelin Super Sport soon.

The car was about 100 lb. heavier than a 997 CS with PDK they tested last year! Last year's car was equipped with the relatively light-weight sport bucket seats and generally "stripped", whereas the 991 test car had the heavy adaptive top-of-the-line sport seats. I would think that the adaptive anti-roll bar system would also add significantly to the extra weight inasmuch as it reintroduces a hydraulic pump and hydraulic lines after all had been eliminated by the electric power steering. It was also equipped with the Bose sound system.

As already noted, the car is a sensational performer despite the extra weight.

The adaptive anti-roll bar system is credited with contributing to the improved eargerness of the car to react to steering into a turn as well as with greater comfort on bumpy roads (all four wheels are free to follow the bumps independently). No mention is made of how this system makes the car feel. Does it generate an artifial element in the feel? According to the Auto Blog test it doesn't, it's transparent. These same people write that the electric power assist introduces a slight level of artificiality in the steering feel. Looks like I have to wait for the December issue of EVO to find out. They'll have a full test of the CS in there and they are the best in the business for conveying a seasoned driver's assessment of a car in my opinion. A very brief Road & Track report criticized the system for feeling artificial.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by HansGT2
I just got my issue of sport auto (12/2011) in the mail and read the "supertest" of the new CS. This is what I found noteworthy:
so, the factory time of 7:40 seems pretty realistic in a 991 with less options than the sportauto test car.

as far as the new el-mech. steering is concerned, it wasn`t really an issue so far:

"Linearity is first-rate, and if there were any loss in feel, it's as negligible as a penny." (Motortrend)

"EPS systems range from quite good (Mitsubishi i, for example) to disconnected and video-gamey (Hyundai Veloster, BMW 6 Series). Porsche’s new system falls on the good end of the spectrum. Some loathed the system, suggesting that they’d recommend their friends purchase a current 997 instead of waiting until February 4th for the 991. Those people are simpering ninnies. To tell the truth, while the 997’s steering feel is a smidge better than the 991’s, neither car’s a patch on Porsche’s old manual (or even the early hydraulic) systems in terms of liveliness. If that’s what you’re after, there’s a reason the last of the air-cooled whippersnappers, the ‘90s-era 993, still commands a premium price in the used market." (Yahoo)

"It is certainly a big change in character, making the car feel almost anaesthetized on first acquaintance – if only because it’s so unfamiliar to drive a 911 whose steering wheel does not constantly fidget, even at moderate speeds. But it seems the further you drive the more you come to appreciate the added calmness through the steering wheel." (Autocar)

"we focused our attention on the new electric steering – this was admittedly our primary concern. It does feel slightly different, maybe lacking some of the smallest vibrations, but no less accurate or precise. We could feel the bumps, the rocks and the road kill (already flattened, of course). We were fixated on the steering for about 15 minutes, digging hard to find something annoying, but we couldn't. Then we forgot about it; it became a non-issue." (Autoblog)

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 11-21-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:06 AM
What were the options on the factory car? Sport Auto is usually only a couple seconds from factory times anyways.

Has Sport Auto published any videos of the recent Porsche runs (GT2 RS, GT3 RS etc. ?), they are the only reason Porsche's ring times have any credibility any more and that won't last either without videos. You'd think Porsche could afford a GoPro camera to take a video of the runs with. It's the standard now.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:56 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Imagine what the 991 gt3's will do....and turbos...

JB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sport Auto Supertest - 991 Carrera S PDK