Sport Exhaust and PTV questions for base 991 Carrera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 09:10 PM
HenryMB is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
the S is always the first choice and worth the money.

Base Carrera
- if itīs financially a bit too painful or
- if u don`t need ultimate performance.
the base Carrera is no slouch either
(4.6sec. to 62 compared to 4.3 in the S).

ask yourself the following question:
"With the Base Carrera in mind, do i long after the S already?"
If the answer is yes, then try to go for the S"
Interesting comments. My thought is that I want the best braking and handling performance. Not necessarily the best 0-60 time. So my stance is that I want PCCB. So instead of putting the money into a the model with improved brakes (the S), take the base model and option the PCCB and PSE and 20in Sport Techno wheels. Also I too like rowing the gears so a manual would be on my list. Would it be useful also to include PTV and PASM Sport since it would be a manual?

Any thoughts?

Old 11-27-2011, 09:24 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by HenryMB

Interesting comments. My thought is that I want the best braking and handling performance. Not necessarily the best 0-60 time. So my stance is that I want PCCB. So instead of putting the money into a the model with improved brakes (the S), take the base model and option the PCCB and PSE and 20in Sport Techno wheels. Also I too like rowing the gears so a manual would be on my list. Would it be useful also to include PTV and PASM Sport since it would be a manual?

Any thoughts?
Please don't add $10k brakes to a $93k car. I think you'll find enough comments that question the value and complain about maintenance concerns and costs to not do PCCB. I know they decrease unsprung weight, but not sure if the stop better, just maintain braking effectiveness over extended use due to decreased impact from heat.

Will this car be tracked on regular occasion? The S will bring better results from more power, bigger brakes, PASM and PTV.

Sorry, I'm just not a fan of the PCCBs unless on (much) more expensive models (GT2/3).

Old 11-28-2011, 07:49 AM
HenryMB is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dallascajun
Please don't add $10k brakes to a $93k car. I think you'll find enough comments that question the value and complain about maintenance concerns and costs to not do PCCB. I know they decrease unsprung weight, but not sure if the stop better, just maintain braking effectiveness over extended use due to decreased impact from heat.

Will this car be tracked on regular occasion? The S will bring better results from more power, bigger brakes, PASM and PTV.

Sorry, I'm just not a fan of the PCCBs unless on (much) more expensive models (GT2/3).

The car would not be tracked at all, just a lot of twisting roads at moderate pacing. Also I have heard that PTV not really worth it for manual transmission, anyone know why this might have been stated ( i know it is not the electronic PTV associated with PKM)

Old 11-28-2011, 08:24 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
The car would not be tracked at all, just a lot of twisting roads at moderate pacing. Also I have heard that PTV not really worth it for manual transmission, anyone know why this might have been stated ( i know it is not the electronic PTV associated with PKM)

if you want the best in handling the PTV is a must have. PTV is implemented with a traditional mechanical LSD, braking the right or left rear wheel in certain situations. that is essential if u want to go faster, more neutral round a corner. the drag-the-inside-rear-brake algorithm in the PTV plus is mostly used at lower speeds, whereas at higher speeds the LSD is essentially the only thing working. so the PTV is really effective in both specifications (manual + PDK).

P.S. PCCB is a very expensive option for a standard Carrera imho.
Even the standard Carrera brakes (4 pistons) are really good!
Did you know that similar 4 piston systems were/are standard on much faster cars like the 997.2 GTS, 997.1 GT2 or GT3 RS?

Old 11-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
The car would not be tracked at all, just a lot of twisting roads at moderate pacing.
I agree with the others who have noted that PCCB is probably a waste of money . With your stated use of the car, that's even more true. The standard brakes are some of the best available.

If you just want the yellow calipers (I know you haven't said you do, but some people like them), you can get the stock calipers painted for a lot less. It is not something I personally like, but I have seen many people do it on 986 and 987s.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:46 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
the S is always the first choice and worth the money.

Base Carrera
- if itīs financially a bit too painful or
- if u don`t need ultimate performance.
the base Carrera is no slouch either
(4.6sec. to 62 compared to 4.3 in the S).

ask yourself the following question:
"With the Base Carrera in mind, do i long after the S already?"
If the answer is yes, then try to go for the S"
Good advice

Originally Posted by dallascajun
I just looked it up on the Porsche Canada Website.

Carrera = $93700
Carrera S = $110000

Difference of $16300

When you include all of the options listed (that I suggested be removed), that's $9940. So that leaves you a delta of $6360 to go from a Carrera spec'd as you've shown it to a S. And remember that the S includes PASM, 20in Wheels, PTV...which are worth $5690. So if you REALLY think about it, moving to the S gets you the added HP and includes most of the options you're wanting.

So, pay $106315 for Carrera base as optioned, or $112675 for an S (without PSE or PDLS). Once you pass $100K, an additional $6k for 50hp and better resell isn't even worth thinking about. PDLS will rarely be noticed, while PSE is great...but is it so good to choose it over 50hp?

My perspective on base models is that they are to provide a way to get into the model line as somewhat reduced costs...and adding and significant options to them is another way of speccing them to the upgraded version. Once you add those options, you're pretty much at the S version cost, but without the S version features.
Sound advice.

agree with the guys above, if u go for the S, then add Sport Chrono.
U can get the PSE or other aftermarket exhausts installed later on.
I disagree. I think the only situation where SC is mandatory is with PDK. Others may beg to differ.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:30 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by surfah
Good advice

Sound advice.

I disagree. I think the only situation where SC is mandatory is with PDK. Others may beg to differ.

i agree that SC is almost a must have option for the PDK but itīs a remarkable feature (and a not too expensive one either) in a manual 911 nonetheless. u`ll get dynamic engine mounts (a la GT3) and a much sportier driving experience and thatīs what a 911 is about imho.
(sharper throttle response, the trigger threshold for PSM is raised, enhanced agility when braking for corners with PSM -> sportier braking and better exit acceleration.)

Old 11-28-2011, 04:35 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
i agree that SC is almost a must have option for the PDK but itīs a remarkable feature (and a not too expensive one either) in a manual 911 nonetheless. u`ll get dynamic engine mounts (a la GT3) and a much sportier driving experience and thatīs what a 911 is about imho.
(sharper throttle response, the trigger threshold for PSM is raised, enhanced agility when braking for corners with PSM -> sportier braking and better exit acceleration.)
This certainly may be the case. I spent about 30 minutes driving a colleague's 2006 C2S manual with SC and most of it was steady highway driving. I drove a 2011 C2S cabriolet with PDK and SC and this was spirited city driving where the benefits of SC were more appreciated. I was especially enamored by the rev-matching and throttle blips on rapid downshifts. The PSE with the top down was certainly no slouch either.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:23 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
Get the S and get Sport Chrono. If that's all you get you will never look back. After 6 months in the base car you will be wanting the S even more and you won't care about the ceramic brakes unless you track the car. Also for resale or trade the S is the way to go. The pse can be taken care of with after market exhaust down the line.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:07 AM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
Be aware that the standard exhaust on the 991 is identical to the "sport exhaust" of the 997 and the "sport exhaust" on the 991 goes even a step further in the "cell count" according to my dealer.

In my opinion the 991 is a great value because you essentially get the same exhaust as standard that 997 owners paid up as an expensive option. Navigation and blue tooth are also standard where they where expensive options before.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by tromero
Be aware that the standard exhaust on the 991 is identical to the "sport exhaust" of the 997 and the "sport exhaust" on the 991 goes even a step further in the "cell count" according to my dealer.

In my opinion the 991 is a great value because you essentially get the same exhaust as standard that 997 owners paid up as an expensive option. Navigation and blue tooth are also standard where they where expensive options before.
I did not know that. Thanks for the tip.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:27 PM
nsblue is infamous around these parts
I have seen in several reviews that the PSE is improved in the 991. Does anyone have more details on this?

Old 11-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by surfah
I did not know that. Thanks for the tip.

thatīs probably the reason why the stock exhaust sounds much louder than the stock ones on the 997
(the exhaust tips in the vids look like stock not PSE):

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...trol-vids.html

Old 12-23-2011, 01:23 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nsblue
While I know I am waffling over many things, manual transmission is not one of them. I absolutely love rowing through the gears.

Now I have a new problem since the cabriolet has been announced / released. Go with the Cab or coupe!!!??

Just a heads-up, the 991 S cab is $125K (incl. delivery/transport cost) add just a few option (carrera classic wheels, pse, dimming mirrors, metalic paint etc.) and you're at a $135K now add taxes and you're looking at $150K...

That's a hell of a big difference with the coupe.
I'm looking at the cab S but gotta tell ya that 150K price tag is a little hard to swallow for a very sparsely optioned P. which is not even a wide-body

Toyed with the idea of getting a 997 Turbo cab or GTS cab. for that kind of $ but I'm addicted to customizing so getting into the first year of the 991 would allow me many many years of joy while still having a current ride...

Not to mention I LOVEEEEE the way the new 991 looks (even without custom work )

Still a lot of $$ though

Old 12-23-2011, 12:58 PM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by tromero

Are you sure the stock 991 exhaust is the same as the PSE on the 997.2 ?

That would be a good reason to not get the PSE option and save $2950.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sport Exhaust and PTV questions for base 991 Carrera