Sport Exhaust and PTV questions for base 991 Carrera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by af330i
Are you sure the stock 991 exhaust is the same as the PSE on the 997.2 ?

That would be a good reason to not get the PSE option and save $2950.
I believe he's right however on the spec sheet of the 991 S it states the following:
• 2 x 3-way catalytic converters
• Resonance-type intake system with control valve
• Flap exhaust system
• SPORT button on the centre console

So it also has the benefit of all the above standard on the S.
I'm wondering if a Fister D hack is going to work on this exhaust since there seems to be a flap exhaust system on the non-PSE (probably resonance chambers in the mufflers) which gives the 991 it's unique sports sound.

I'm afraid a Fister D bypass will also bypass that part of the system... anyone have some insight on this?

Old 12-23-2011, 03:22 PM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
I believe he's right however on the spec sheet of the 991 S it states the following:
• 2 x 3-way catalytic converters
• Resonance-type intake system with control valve
• Flap exhaust system
• SPORT button on the centre console

So it also has the benefit of all the above standard on the S.
I'm wondering if a Fister D hack is going to work on this exhaust since there seems to be a flap exhaust system on the non-PSE (probably resonance chambers in the mufflers) which gives the 991 it's unique sports sound.

I'm afraid a Fister D bypass will also bypass that part of the system... anyone have some insight on this?

By any chance do you know if this is the same on the Base Carrera as this is the one I am most likely going to order ...

Old 12-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by af330i
By any chance do you know if this is the same on the Base Carrera as this is the one I am most likely going to order ...
I'm afraid non of the above listed is part of the base 991
Nor the reduced cell count catalytic converters...

Old 12-23-2011, 04:23 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
I'm afraid non of the above listed is part of the base 991
Nor the reduced cell count catalytic converters...
All of the above are std in the base Carrera, I am absolutely sure.
Sport button std in all carreras makes the sport chrono pkg a no go for me.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by galion
It's very possible but on the configurater non of them show on the base 991 specs...
Maybe it's just an omission 'cause it struck me as odd as well that they would have a different stock exhaust on the base than the S.

Could be just on the Canadian site.
The price difference is quiet significant as well compared to the US site, a base (no options) is 106K cab and the S cab 123K

I'm holding my breath for the 991 GT and Turbo models...

Old 12-23-2011, 10:00 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
So it looks like Porsche made the (wise) decision to detach the "sport" button from the Sport Chrono option. They used to be connected at the hip and the chrono option was the only way to get the sport button which remaps throttle response and other items.

Another notable item, the dash "egg timer" used to be more or less a lap stopwatch but with the 991 it functions as an analog clock when not in use as a lap timer (a smaller faced clock embedded) which is cool

Last edited by EricP; 12-23-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:14 AM
911 Molar is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dallascajun
I'd consider getting rid of PASM, PTV, PSE, 20in Carrera S wheels and Dynamic Lighting and get a Carrera S instead. C2S comes with the wheels and PASM anyway. Not sure what the delta is btwn C2 and C2S, but all of those other options combined should be close.
damn cheaper that what we have to pay in Australia
Try $285000 AUD for a 991 S
bull****

Old 12-24-2011, 06:40 AM
nsblue is infamous around these parts
OP here, really enjoying all the comments.

In the past month I have been switching between planning on ordering a new 991S or buying a used 09 or newer Carrera 4S. Today i'm back to looking at a new 991 (although that may change by the end of the day:-). I find the discussion of the PSE interesting and without a final conclusion. It appears that the stock exhaust on the 991S is comparable, (or even better), than a 997.2 with the PSE. If that is in fact true then exactly what does the PSE bring to the 991S? Is it simply louder or louder with more resonance which would make it, in my books, better. I guess we will have to wait for consumer reviews on the differences between the stock exhaust and PSE on the new 991S.

Cheers,

Dean

Last edited by nsblue; 12-24-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:45 AM
Rodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really nice
I would rather get an S without PSE than a base with. As stated above, many of the options you picked will come with the S. not sure what SC gives you without PDK. Could maybe ditch that. I'd rather go for a lightly optioned S vs. a base that you add a bunch of stuff to.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:28 AM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by surfah
I disagree. I think the only situation where SC is mandatory is with PDK. Others may beg to differ.
Unsure if this is still a good rule of thumb - in the 997.2 the SC provided the manual car with some throttle remapping and aggression as well. Can't remember all the benefits but there was some memory functions for preferences A couple of threads in the past deemed it valuable regardless of transmission. This year with the 991 they might have detached some of the benefits from the SC.

And for resale everyone wants the egg timer

Last edited by EricP; 12-24-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:53 PM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
Yes, I went over this in great detail with my dealer and the salesman, who really knew his stuff, assured me the Base 991 standard exhaust = PSE of the 997.2

Old 02-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Sc00ter is infamous around these parts
Sport Chrono adds dynamic engine mounts (like the 997 Turbo and GT3)...so to improve dynamics and comfort is a nice option.

The PTV option is available with a mechanical rear differential lock with asymetric locking action ( 22% in traction and 27% in overrun) fore the manual Carrera.
PTV is standard on the Carrera S.

Last edited by Sc00ter; 02-04-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:00 PM
midknightx is infamous around these parts
Sport chrono is a must option!!..

its make ur car even sporty and faster!

and its a cheap option..

Old 02-09-2012, 02:10 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
There is a significant difference between sport mode (aggressive) and sport+ (super aggressive) which only comes with the chrono package. In addition the DEMs offered for the first time on this vehicle make it a must have for a carerra s. Also with pdks it's a must have.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:36 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by galion
I ordered a base Carrera with Sport Chrono because of the Dynamic Engine Mounts. They minimize oscillations and vibrations of the entire drivetrain, especially the engine.
ChuckJ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sport Exhaust and PTV questions for base 991 Carrera