Sport Exhaust and PTV questions for base 991 Carrera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 07:19 PM
nsblue is infamous around these parts
Sport Exhaust and PTV questions for base 991 Carrera

I am trying to finalize my 2012 Porsche Carrera build and have a couple of questions. First will PTV be worthwhile for a car that will not likely be tracked, mainly a daily driver. Secondly will the Sport Exhaust System be worthwhile on the base 3.4l engine.

My planned build is below, (Canadian Dollars), and any comments are appreciated.

Thanks!

The new 911 Carrera

$93,700
Exterior Colour Dark Blue Metallic
N4

$820 Interior Colour Luxor Beige standard interior
UG

Exterior

Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) 602 $880

Performance

Sport Exhaust System 176 $3,370

Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV)
220 $1,510

Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) 475 $2,390

Wheels

20-inch Carrera S wheel 423 $1,790

Interior

Automatically dimming mirrors 276 $480

Standard Sport seats P09 $0
Interior Leather

SportDesign steering wheel 840 $290

Destination Charge:

Destination Charge $1,085

Total Price* $106,315

Old 11-21-2011, 07:42 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
OEM PSE is always great to have, i personally recommend that.
(Together with the PASM "Sport" button, it provides more accoustic fun in and out)
PTV is not necessary in your case imho, it is for ultimate cornering and i think the car is already a beast in stock form.

P.S. Get rid of the PTV and add Park Assist!

Old 11-21-2011, 09:03 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
I'd consider getting rid of PASM, PTV, PSE, 20in Carrera S wheels and Dynamic Lighting and get a Carrera S instead. C2S comes with the wheels and PASM anyway. Not sure what the delta is btwn C2 and C2S, but all of those other options combined should be close.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:01 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
I would recommend a "s" but if getting base, go with PTV and PSE and skip dynamic lights (useless). You are not getting PDCC, so it's good to have some cornering ability in reserve. PSE a lot to pay for a sound but most recommend it.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:49 AM
Originally Posted by dallascajun
I'd consider getting rid of PASM, PTV, PSE, 20in Carrera S wheels and Dynamic Lighting and get a Carrera S instead. C2S comes with the wheels and PASM anyway. Not sure what the delta is btwn C2 and C2S, but all of those other options combined should be close.
The additional cost in Canada for a Carrera S as spec'd by dallacajun above would be $11,989. I'm not sure that for me the extra 50HP and bigger brakes would be worth the 12K.

Thoughts?

Last edited by nsblue; 11-22-2011 at 03:52 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:19 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nsblue
The additional cost in Canada for a Carrera S as spec'd by dallacajun above would be $11,989. I'm not sure that for me the extra 50HP and bigger brakes would be worth the 12K.

Thoughts?

the S is always the first choice and worth the money.

Base Carrera
- if it´s financially a bit too painful or
- if u don`t need ultimate performance.
the base Carrera is no slouch either
(4.6sec. to 62 compared to 4.3 in the S).

ask yourself the following question:
"With the Base Carrera in mind, do i long after the S already?"
If the answer is yes, then try to go for the S"

Old 11-22-2011, 08:00 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
I just looked it up on the Porsche Canada Website.

Carrera = $93700
Carrera S = $110000

Difference of $16300

When you include all of the options listed (that I suggested be removed), that's $9940. So that leaves you a delta of $6360 to go from a Carrera spec'd as you've shown it to a S. And remember that the S includes PASM, 20in Wheels, PTV...which are worth $5690. So if you REALLY think about it, moving to the S gets you the added HP and includes most of the options you're wanting.

So, pay $106315 for Carrera base as optioned, or $112675 for an S (without PSE or PDLS). Once you pass $100K, an additional $6k for 50hp and better resell isn't even worth thinking about. PDLS will rarely be noticed, while PSE is great...but is it so good to choose it over 50hp?

My perspective on base models is that they are to provide a way to get into the model line as somewhat reduced costs...and adding and significant options to them is another way of speccing them to the upgraded version. Once you add those options, you're pretty much at the S version cost, but without the S version features.

Last edited by dallascajun; 11-22-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:47 AM
dallascajun, it's hard to argue with your financial comaprison as it is sound. The difference I showed included PSE of course plus our beloved 13% HST.

I would include the dimming mirrors and sport steering wheel. Other than that just the base Carrera S. Hmm, would I really miss the PSE with that 3.8L engine normal sound?

Likely not.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:25 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
No you wouldn't necessarily miss pse if you are not in to that exhaust sound thing, but if you go for S which does make financial sense you would need to add sport chrono. Never get an S without sport chrono.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:53 AM
SportChrono is a must for me, but I've seen a lot of them out there w/out it. To me, choose the S w/out SC over the base w/ or w/out it. For some people, just adding something like a SprintBooster is more than enough to give them SportChrono response.

As for PSE...it sounds fantastic...but not good enough to choose PSE over additional 50hp. There are sure to be some good aftermarket exhausts for the 991 over time...if not a bypass system similar to what SharkWerks and others have for the 997.2 (I think the 991 uses similar 3-exhaust system). And those systems will probably cost less than factory PSE and might give better sound as well. If push comes to shove, I'd pass on the PSE for now and see what options pop up.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Since I am going with the manual transmission I thought I would forego SportChrono. That seems to be the common wisdom on the forums and my Porsche dealer basically said the same thing. Always get it with PDK but not so much with the manual.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:48 PM
I missed the fact that you were going with manual. Are you sure you want to pass on the new and improved PDK after all the positive reviews it is receiving? I would suggest, skip everything else just get the PDK.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:03 PM
While I know I am waffling over many things, manual transmission is not one of them. I absolutely love rowing through the gears.

Now I have a new problem since the cabriolet has been announced / released. Go with the Cab or coupe!!!??

Old 11-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Only you can answer that, as that is just a question of personality. Are you a cab person or not? If you are not sure, then just go for the coupe, as cab lovers are just as die hard as manual lovers and they don't waffle on that issue. Plus, your place says, ontario, so too cold for a cab most of the year.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:16 PM
agree with the guys above, if u go for the S, then add Sport Chrono.
U can get the PSE or other aftermarket exhausts installed later on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sport Exhaust and PTV questions for base 991 Carrera