Cayman R or Base 991?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:04 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
No exact date but all sources say that the new Boxster and Cayman and their S-Variants will be revealed next year (second half of 2012).
The next Cayman R will arrive years later, no worth thinking about it!
So if they'll be revealed in the second half of 2012, maybe until available for purchase until late 2012 or early 2013?

Old 11-22-2011, 08:09 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
So if they'll be revealed in the second half of 2012, maybe until available for purchase until late 2012 or early 2013?
I think it will almost be the same scenario as with the new 991s.
revealing in autumn 2012, official presentation shortly after, first builds in Nov/Dec. 2012 and delivered to customers/dealers in January/February 2013.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
I think it will almost be the same scenario as with the new 991s.
revealing in autumn 2012, official presentation shortly after, first builds in Nov/Dec. 2012 and delivered to customers/dealers in January/February 2013.
I think that's probably too far in the future for us to wait for the new generation, so looks like it's coming down to the Cayman R vs 991.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:34 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
I think that's probably too far in the future for us to wait for the new generation, so looks like it's coming down to the Cayman R vs 991.
Okay,

991 = better allrounder and daily driver
Cayman R = old school fun

Old 11-22-2011, 08:55 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Another factor I should have mentioned is that we're getting an SUV as a family vehicle (to replace an unreliable old BMW wagon), and she would be able to drive the SUV when she wanted, so she wouldn't be forced to drive the CR if she's not in the mood for it.
Go get the Cayman R...NOW.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:12 AM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dallascajun
Go get the Cayman R...NOW.
+1! never seen a female cayman r owner as of yet (i've seen couple but most of them were driven by younger generations). it must be quite a head turner.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:38 AM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
No offense but even though there is only a marginal difference in price, Cayman screams poor man 911
Imo a base 991 is in another level.

Last edited by galion; 11-22-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by galion
No ofense but even though there is only a marginal difference in price, Cayman screams poor man 911
Imo even in its base form, 991 is in another level.
I guess it depends on who's looking at it. As a 911 owner, I don't look at it that way, and I see the Cayman as a true Porsche but with a somewhat different feel than the 911.

Then there's also the question of whether one should care what other people think. I personally don't buy cars to impress anyone, and actually prefer to keep a lower profile (which the 911 doesn't do, and especially not the Cayman R ), though I think my wife is a bit more image-conscious and imagines herself as a badass in the Cayman - I guess she's cooler than I realized.

Last edited by Manifold; 11-22-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:16 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
i would get the 991. I have been there before and in the same situation. If you have a 991, you will never wonder about the cayman. But if you have the cayman then you will always wonder about the 991. Just my 2 pesos.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:25 AM
I guess it depends on who's looking at it. As a 911 owner, I don't look at it that way, and I see the Cayman as a true Porsche but with a somewhat different feel than the 911.

Then there's also the question of whether one should care what other people think. I personally don't buy cars to impress anyone, and actually prefer to keep a lower profile (which the 911 doesn't do, and especially not the Cayman R ), though I think my wife is a bit more image-conscious and imagines herself as a badass in the Cayman - I guess she's cooler than I realized.

There was a time when i thought the same about the Cayman as Galion, until i drove on4 2 years ago.
The Cayman is a true (and unique) Porsche, and as a midengined car has the better layout as a sportscar and it is a great pleasure to drive such a well balanced car. The 911 always felt much more nervous but itīs got the better image (as an icon).
I am sticking my neck out now and say: Put a GT3 engine in the Cayman and itīs the better sportscar!

My prediction, as far as the new/next Cayman is concerned:

We will read the following line in some reviews for the first time:

"The 911 is still THE iconic Porsche, but the new Cayman is the best car in Porsches line-up right now"

Old 11-22-2011, 10:33 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
There was a time when i thought the same about the Cayman as Galion, until i drove on4 2 years ago.
The Cayman is a true (and unique) Porsche, and as a midengined car has the better layout as a sportscar and it is a great pleasure to drive such a well balanced car. The 911 always felt much more nervous but itīs got the better image (as an icon).
I am sticking my neck out now and say: Put a GT3 engine in the Cayman and itīs the better sportscar!

My prediction, as far as the new/next Cayman is concerned:

We will read the following line in some reviews for the first time:

"The 911 is still THE iconic Porsche, but the new Cayman is the best car in Porsches line-up right now"
Can't argue with that though.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:40 AM
saeyedoc is infamous around these partssaeyedoc is infamous around these parts
For a DD, you may want to consider a Cayman S instead of an R. More sound insulation, more seat options (including ventilated), real door pulls instead of fabric. I got mine with PASM, so the suspension is very compliant for street driving, but I can stiffen it up for the occasional track event. I prefer the adjustable spoiler on the S to the fixed wing on the R.
For me, if I was going to get the 991, it would have to be an S or better, otherwise I'd be wondering why I didn't just get the Cayman S as it's just as fast for less $$.
See if you can find a black edition Cayman S, you get the extra power of the R.

Last edited by saeyedoc; 11-22-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:42 AM
saeyedoc is infamous around these partssaeyedoc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by galion
No offense but even though there is only a marginal difference in price, Cayman screams poor man 911
Imo a base 991 is in another level.
IMO base 991 screams poor man's 911. I like to think I made the smart choice getting a car with the engine in the right place for a sports car.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:58 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Get the CR today...drive the hell out of it, have a blast...let the 991 launch come and go...let the 1st year bugs come and go, then see if you really want a 991. If so, you have two options: trade in the CR or the Cab for a 991. Given the pics of the 991 Cab released today, you might just want to swap Cab for Cab in due time.

As much of a 911 bigot as I can be, there's no doubting the CR is a blast to drive. You can probably get them for decent prices now, and it's always going to be more identifiable than a CS or base 991. Just make sure to put some aggressive spacers on it, especially in the rear (10-15mm). Give it the stance it deserves.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:48 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Originally Posted by saeyedoc
IMO base 991 screams poor man's 911. I like to think I made the smart choice getting a car with the engine in the right place for a sports car.

Yeah... Screams "poor man's 911 to whom?" This is a DUMB, snobbish attitude. Granted it ISN'T a 911 (Neither is a Cayenne or a Panamera) but it still is a Porsche. Pfft- If I buy a car based on what someone else will think (never have and I never will) then I don't deserve it in the first place.

That said, I would want the 911 over the CR, unless I already had a good 911 in the stall... I love the Cayman S, for example (I haven't driven the CR yet). Stellar car, probably the most fun on 4 wheels I've had so far when I drove one. But they need to fix that slightly bulbous roofline somehow before I give it a nod over the 911. To me aesthetics are an important part of the package. Now, the Cayman isn't ugly by any stretch. I just don't prefer the roofline of it over the 911; though I do love some things about the rear deck/hatch on the Caymans.

Buy what puts the biggest grin on your face. Ignore everybody else's opinion- or at least what some people think about what you drive. Have FUN!

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 11-22-2011 at 10:00 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayman R or Base 991?