Cayman R or Base 991?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 05:58 AM
PRS 7 is infamous around these parts
/ thread if she likes and wants the Cayman.

As mentioned, Cayman for a bit and wait for any gremlins in the 991 to be exorcised. Prices should be more flexible/991 and you may not want to get rid of the Cayman anyway.

It's not like the 991 is going away and you two have plenty of time to try it out down the road.

Sounds like your/hers gut feeling is going to win in this debate...Cayman.

BTW. The poor man's this, poor man's that is so old I smell mold. Good for you for not falling into that tar pit.
Being so trivial with the usage of the word poor bugs me. Poor is trying to find your next meal!

g/l

Last edited by PRS 7; 11-23-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:46 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PRS 7
/ thread if she likes and wants the Cayman.

As mentioned, Cayman for a bit and wait for any gremlins in the 991 to be exorcised. Prices should be more flexible/991 and you may not want to get rid of the Cayman anyway.

It's not like the 991 is going away and you two have plenty of time to try it out down the road.

Sounds like your/hers gut feeling is going to win in this debate...Cayman.

BTW. The poor man's this, poor man's that is so old I smell mold. Good for you for not falling into that tar pit.
Being so trivial with the usage of the word poor bugs me. Poor is trying to find your next meal!

g/l
Yes, as much as the 991 appeals to me, I think we're leaning CR for the following reasons:

- About $12K less than a base 991, and at least $25K less than the 991S we'd probably really want.

- Can always get the 991 later, but not the CR, and next Cayman is more than a year away. And may want to wait for a hardcore GT version of the 991 anyway (or a used 991 - let someone else take the depreciation hit).

- Have to wait at least a few months for the 991, whereas the CR is here for the taking. The dealer is holding it for us and offering 4% off sticker, which sounds reasonable considering that I think he can quickly sell it at sticker or a little more to someone else.

- CR adds more variety to the 911 we already have. Having two 911s may be a bit redundant.

- I'm hoping that resale on the CR would be good due to rarity, whereas the 991 may depreciate faster.

- CR may be a better track toy.

- My wife seems to prefer the more neutral/balanced handling of the CR. I prefer the slightly scary feel of the 911, along with the more "substantial" feel of the 911, but that may change.

- The CR looks really hot!

You're right that none of these are poor man's cars. I feel lucky to even be able to contemplate having two Porsches, and I don't take that for granted.

Also, a little twist on the story. It's now looking more likely that we'll also hang on to the C63 for at least another year, mainly because it seems to make more sense financially considering lease terms and taxes.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:52 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
All good points, illustrating exactly why I posed this dilemma to you guys.

Somewhat to my surprise, my wife really digs the race car looks of the CR (me too ), and she was thrilled when she drove it, saying "this is a much better driver's car than the 911!" Considering these factors, she seems willing to overlook the more spartan interior of the CR, though it would remain to be seen whether she feels that way long term.

Another factor I should have mentioned is that we're getting an SUV as a family vehicle (to replace an unreliable old BMW wagon), and she would be able to drive the SUV when she wanted, so she wouldn't be forced to drive the CR if she's not in the mood for it.

Personally, I'm very attracted to the 991, but we have the option of getting the CR now and replacing it with a 991 in a couple of years, whereas the reverse likely won't be possible.
so this video is made for you then:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HC3N2OwOmM

Old 11-23-2011, 07:33 AM
saeyedoc is infamous around these partssaeyedoc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
Yeah... Screams "poor man's 911 to whom?" This is a DUMB, snobbish attitude. Granted it ISN'T a 911 (Neither is a Cayenne or a Panamera) but it still is a Porsche. Pfft- If I buy a car based on what someone else will think (never have and I never will) then I don't deserve it in the first place.

!
Read my post again, I was half joking, saying the base 991 was the poor man's 911, not a Cayman. To me, I'd rather have the top dog Cayman than the base Carrera. Less $$, close in performance, arguably easier to drive fast.
For me, I wouldn't bother with a Carrera unless looking at an S or better.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:22 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Originally Posted by saeyedoc
Read my post again, I was half joking, saying the base 991 was the poor man's 911, not a Cayman. To me, I'd rather have the top dog Cayman than the base Carrera. Less $$, close in performance, arguably easier to drive fast.
For me, I wouldn't bother with a Carrera unless looking at an S or better.
Saeyedoc- I was understood you, and responding more directly to galion's original post/comment ( which I believe he was just saying what some people's attitudes are) through your quote. Hope that clarifies.

OP- if you already have the 911 niche covered, why not buy the CR? The car is indeed "neutral feeling" as you described; so much so it's as if you have your butt on rollers on the road and nothing else. It IS that neutral feeling- at least the CS is- I haven't driven the CR yet. But the CS is just amazing in how neutral, planted and capable it is.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 11-25-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:35 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Cayman R is IMO the ultimate proven track porsche right now.

Its also a good daily driver.

The 991 is an unknown quantity at the track. Yes, i know its super fast in the hands of a pro but I don't have a clue as to how the new 991 handles 20 track days a year.

I wouldn't want to spend 90K to be the first to try.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Test drove the CR again today, and looks like we're going to get it on Friday if nothing changes our mind before then.

I may wind up continuing to prefer the 911 (or not), but the CR is also awesome in it's own way, adds nice variety to our current 911, and most importantly the wife loves it as her DD.

I have a really good relationship with my dealer (right next to my office, so I walk through his lot several times a week after lunch), and I believe him when he tells me that half a dozen people were waiting for this car to arrive but he gave us first dibs, so I feel like we're lucky to get it.

Thank you all for your insightful advice. It really helped.

Last edited by Manifold; 11-23-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:54 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Pictures will be expected! Enjoy your Thanksgiving awaiting delivery of the new fun.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:12 PM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
The only advantages is the new interior and with a 2+2 layout you can tilt the seat back more.

When you can't decide getting both usually solves that problem. You can always get the Cayman R and trade it in for the new 911 later if you are still thinking about that. Do post some pics

Old 11-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dallascajun
Pictures will be expected! Enjoy your Thanksgiving awaiting delivery of the new fun.
yeah pretty nice timing on the pick up. enjoy the ride!

Old 11-24-2011, 01:44 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
I think you will be pleasantly surprised after you take that Cayman R to the track. Very fun car to drive on track, and I'm driving a Gen I. I have also owned some 911's in the past, but none were as fun as my Cayman S on track. The only 911 I would get rid of the Cayman for would be a GT3. I think you will fall in love with the Cayman R and will ADD a 991 to your stable in the future, rather than replace. They are 2 very different cars, enough to justify owning both. Good luck and Congrats! The Cayman R is truly an amazing machine.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Picked up the CR today. Awesome car! Performance and Porsche feel similar to the 911S, but still different enough to add variety. Surprisingly comfortable, easy and fun to drive fast, great throaty/raspy sound, and I can see why some consider it a better pure driver's car than the 911. Really a good value IMO, at $80K out the door, considering what it offers.

Here's a quick pic.

Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Manifold
Picked up the CR today. Awesome car! Performance and Porsche feel similar to the 911S, but still different enough to add variety. Surprisingly comfortable, easy and fun to drive fast, great throaty/raspy sound, and I can see why some consider it a better pure driver's car than the 911. Really a good value IMO, at $80K out the door, considering what it offers.

Here's a quick pic.
mind if i ask what the MSRP was? awesome color combo!

Old 11-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Enilder
mind if i ask what the MSRP was? awesome color combo!
It was a little over $78K MSRP, and got 4% off that. I didn't really haggle on the price, since I think they could have sold it at sticker.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:33 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jhuang25
I think you will be pleasantly surprised after you take that Cayman R to the track. Very fun car to drive on track, and I'm driving a Gen I. I have also owned some 911's in the past, but none were as fun as my Cayman S on track. The only 911 I would get rid of the Cayman for would be a GT3. I think you will fall in love with the Cayman R and will ADD a 991 to your stable in the future, rather than replace. They are 2 very different cars, enough to justify owning both. Good luck and Congrats! The Cayman R is truly an amazing machine.
+1... Looks nothing but FUN. Congrats on some early Christmas smiles.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayman R or Base 991?