991 weight distribtion vs. 997 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 02:46 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
991 weight distribtion vs. 997 ?

Do we know how much the weight has been shifted to the front of the car in 991? I believe 997.2 were 40/60% front and back....
How will this change the essance of the 911 model line?

Old 12-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
I'm not sure how it will change the "essence" of the 911, but from all the reviews, it looks to be a nice leap foward in terms of handling. The turbo, GT2 and GT3 et al should be spectacular!

Old 12-06-2011, 05:52 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by m5_2010
Do we know how much the weight has been shifted to the front of the car in 991? I believe 997.2 were 40/60% front and back....
How will this change the essance of the 911 model line?
Porsche 997 C2 : 38% front , 62% rear
Porsche 997 C4 : 40% front , 60% rear
Porsche Cayman : 45% front , 55% rear

i read that they moved the 991 engine ~7cm forward (in relation to the rear axle),
the weight distribution of the 991 C2 is now 42% front / 58% rear.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow

i read that they moved the 991 engine ~7cm forward (in relation to the rear axle),
I'd say that's a significant change. Puts the 991 between the 997 and Cayman. Maybe the name "Caymera" isn't so unreasonable.

It's also interesting to note that the Cayman is still a ways from 50/50, despite the frequent comments about it being "balanced". I don't think that's necessarily a negative - just shows that 50/50 isn't a prerequisite for high performance.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:15 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
I'd say that's a significant change. Puts the 991 between the 997 and Cayman. Maybe the name "Caymera" isn't so unreasonable.

It's also interesting to note that the Cayman is still a ways from 50/50, despite the frequent comments about it being "balanced". I don't think that's necessarily a negative - just shows that 50/50 isn't a prerequisite for high performance.
the 911 is closing in on perfection,
911 understeer problem almost fully eradicated in the 991, chassis mindblowing but still a 911, like Chris says (02:30):

"It still is ar$e-engined, i can`t deny that...it´s not perfect, but very close to being so"

P.S. The weight distribution of the 911 is getting very close to those of midengine cars
BUT don`t forget, the upcoming Cayman will make a huge step forward as well.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:02 AM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow

Nice.. 42/58 is exactly the same as Ferrari 458 Italia... This will make it really handle well but will still feel like a Porsche....
Porsche's rear bias is what gives it the advantage in traction, accelaration, braking, etc.... You just need to know how to drive it... which I don't... ;-(

Last edited by m5_2010; 12-07-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:00 PM
HansGT2 is infamous around these parts
sport auto shows a weight distribution (front/rear) of 38/1/61.9% for their 991 CS test car. This is nearly identical to the 997. The only explanation I have for this despite the fact that the rear wheels have been moved back relative to the engine is that the front end of the 991 is lighter than that of the 997. For the 991 the front fenders, trunk lid, luggage box and crash structure are made of aluminum. The rear fenders are made of steel. If the front end of the 991 were made mostly of steel as in the case of the 997, moving the rear axle back would have resulted in more weight in front. The lighter Al front structure of the 991 makes the front end lighter and brings the weight distribution close to that of the 997. This at least is my theory.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:50 AM
Originally Posted by HansGT2
sport auto shows a weight distribution (front/rear) of 38/1/61.9% for their 991 CS test car. This is nearly identical to the 997. The only explanation I have for this despite the fact that the rear wheels have been moved back relative to the engine is that the front end of the 991 is lighter than that of the 997. For the 991 the front fenders, trunk lid, luggage box and crash structure are made of aluminum. The rear fenders are made of steel. If the front end of the 991 were made mostly of steel as in the case of the 997, moving the rear axle back would have resulted in more weight in front. The lighter Al front structure of the 991 makes the front end lighter and brings the weight distribution close to that of the 997. This at least is my theory.
yeah i read that too, but it doesn`t make really sense and according to other sources and my Porsche dealer: 991C2: 41/59 (42/58 expected for the C4)

Old 12-08-2011, 06:06 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
It is my understanding that most of the components of the body are not shared with the outgoing 997. The new 7 speed geabox as well as the new technology might just make this car's redesign even more of a standout than imagined by the photos and readiing the road tests .

I am still in wait and see mode .
I did see in person the new Mclaren MP4-12c two weeks ago (in silver with a beautiful red holiday bow on it screaming "buy me" ) What a car !!!

I look forward to seeing the 991 but will wait until all the "gottahaveit" enthusiasm subsides ..and my current cars have more age and miles.. . then I may ask to drive something . I just don't know which (991S . 991 gt3. 991tt . Or the Mclaren) . Lots of choices .. huge price disparity ... may buy nothing..but then again .. i just don't know until all the choices are available.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
It is my understanding that most of the components of the body are not shared with the outgoing 997.
yep, one of the journalists in germany (malmedie) recently said, that the only thing that is being reused (1:1) in the new 991 is the steering wheel from the 997.2.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Former Vendor
Mike@Vossen is a splendid one to beholdMike@Vossen is a splendid one to beholdMike@Vossen is a splendid one to beholdMike@Vossen is a splendid one to beholdMike@Vossen is a splendid one to beholdMike@Vossen is a splendid one to beholdMike@Vossen is a splendid one to behold
Utterly brilliant engineering

Old 12-08-2011, 11:05 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
That could be as simple as how much gas is in the car. I would be willing to bet Porsche gives the weight on empty but the balance on full. If Sport auto didn't have a full tank it could have affected Porsche's claimed numbers.

Originally Posted by Manifold

Yes, between the 997 and cayman, but don't forget, the 997 C4 has a 50+ lb front differential in it to affect balance so the 991 C4 should be even better balanced and create more of a gap.

People cry about balance all day, but the fact is that it's a benefit. Yes F1 cars are mid engine, but there is NO weight on the front of the car. Only CF and suspension and some of the driver. Open wheel cars (including F1) have similar balance to 911's and even most mid engine cars have weight shaded to the rear, because it adds grip and makes the car more predictable.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Yes F1 cars are mid engine, but there is NO weight on the front of the car. Only CF and suspension and some of the driver. Open wheel cars (including F1) have similar balance to 911's and even most mid engine cars have weight shaded to the rear, because it adds grip and makes the car more predictable.
agreed and weight under acceleration and lateral forces under cornering would tell you a more complete story. people often say a car has a 50/50 weight distribution and thus it's "perfectly balanced" - but that's only true when it's not moving; under acceleration it gets more weight in the rear, and under braking it gets more in the front; I think the best cars are slightly rear-biased, like the cayman, because under braking they are becoming only slightly front-biased; front-biased cars get dangerously light in the rear under hard braking.

BTW, it´s not only a 911 that is rear biased, i think many don`t know that but Lotus cars are similar balanced.
Of course they not in the same (HP) league but they are also known for great handling:

Lotus Elise: 38% front , 62% rear
Lotus Evora: 39% front , 61% rear

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 12-08-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:46 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
there is a difference between mid engine and rear engine even if the weight distribution is the same.

i dont understand why porsched didn't lighten the rear with alum to balance the car further. if anything, i would lighten the rear and make the front heavy.

one of the best $5 mods you can do to a C2 is put a 20 lb kitty litter in the front trunk. you'll notice the car handles so much better.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by djantlive
there is a difference between mid engine and rear engine even if the weight distribution is the same.
Not sure what this means? Weight distribution is just that? Can you elaborate?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 weight distribtion vs. 997 ?