Deposit on 991 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 11:09 AM
NYNick is infamous around these parts
Hmmm, where does one begin?
"Turbo Lag" doesn't concern me, nor have I even noticed it in day to day driving. Keep the revs where they're supposed to be, and there's no such (noticeable) thing.

I've owned C2's, C4's, and C4S'. My TT would eat any of them for lunch on a full stomach, and not break a sweat.

I'm more interested in the 'lag' between the 997 stopping production and the 991 delivery. That would seem to provide a window of demand for used 997's. Hence, it might be a good time to sell.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:25 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by KonaKai
No announcement date on the Turbos yet. My intuition is that it will be sooner than later (best guess summer 2012) given that it's the highest margin 911.

I'd much sooner put down a pre-announcement deposit on a naturally aspirated 991 (4S, Targa, GT3, etc). I'd love to own a Turbo -- when they do a better job at eliminating turbo lag. I've never driven one that's had an aftermarket tune but from what I've read, the tuners have done a great job solving that problem, which gives me hope that Porsche might fix it themselves with the 991. But at $150k+, I'm not playing guessing games (and not planning on modding the ECU on a brand new 911).
I disagree, probably 2013. The economy is going down the drain. Why would they realease a bull market car in a financial crisis situation? But this is just my guess... If the turbo follows similarly like the 997, it will be 1,5 years before arrival, from the release of the carrera.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:34 AM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
This will be a downright scary car. Porsche has their sights on the GTR for this build. I didn't wait simply because I don't trust myself AT ALL!!

The current turbo eats rice rocket bikes for breakfast. I can't imagine a faster and more advanced model.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:31 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
My guess is 620 hp 520 ft lbs and at around 175k "base"...and that sounds marvelous to me as the thing would definitely have a sub 3 0-60, hit 200 and look flat out amazing.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:42 AM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
I'd be hesitant to think the new Turbo S would be to be much over 570/525 ft lbs. 620 is a freak show and hard to get to the ground. (think GT2)

Old 12-30-2011, 08:11 PM
s4e
s4e is infamous around these parts
The 2013 GT-R is 0-60 in 2.7.

That is going to be a tough number to beat. The GT-R has always been built to compete with the 997TT.... now the 991TT will have to try and match or beat the GT-R.

GT-R 2013 is out this January. Will be an interesting showdown.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by s4e
The 2013 GT-R is 0-60 in 2.7.

That is going to be a tough number to beat. The GT-R has always been built to compete with the 997TT.... now the 991TT will have to try and match or beat the GT-R.

GT-R 2013 is out this January. Will be an interesting showdown.
The 2013 GT-R is silly quick. But even if the GT-R ends up edging out the 991TT by a few hundredths, you're still driving a Nissan GT-R.

I'll choose to pull up to the Valet at the local Bistro in the TT. (yes I go out to dinner from time to time - and I take my car)

Last edited by EricP; 12-30-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:46 PM
s4e
s4e is infamous around these parts
For sure the TT is pure class but it is also the pinnacle of Porsche performance. There are benchmarks set by the industry, and they must be met (and usually exceeded by Porsche).

Most 6speeders are in it for the drive, not the image at the 'Bistro'.

Most of the people watching you pull up and toss the keys to the valet can't tell the difference between a C2 and a GT2. Save your bucks for croissants and espresso if the bistro is your only test and pick up a Cayman!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by s4e
Most 6speeders are in it for the drive, not the image at the 'Bistro'.
Save your bucks for croissants and espresso if the bistro is your only test and pick up a Cayman!

Give me a break on the valet thing. Let me put it in terms you can relate to..

"I'll choose to get my *** whooped by a few hundredths at the 'ring and not have to take my beautiful bride out on our anniversary in a Nissan Skyline."

Most 6speeders, as enthusiastic as they are, can't handle a TT, GT2, or GT-R. It's too much car - myself included - and I fancy myself a good driver with a few dozen track hours.

Last edited by EricP; 12-30-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
it´s hard to imagine how fast that thing will be.
That's the first thought that crossed my mind. Will probably be getting close to Veyron territory at less than a tenth of the price. Sure, the GT-R is silly fast too, for even less cost, but it's a different sort of animal and not as involving for many people.

I wonder though if the 991 turbo will be just too darn fast for public roads?