I saw this today at Porsche.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:38 AM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
The white is nice but would look better with a red interior.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:31 AM
SoCal911 is infamous around these parts
1++ I couldn't agree more...
Originally Posted by duane996tt
looks great except for the over abundance of badges on the rear looks like some poser designed it (fortunatly an easy fix). What next a gold badge option. The sunroof looks really cheap like they forgot to design it into the car and added it on later or they'll add a moon roof option and call it a targa. The car is an overall improvement over the 997 but the "value engineering" is really starting to cheapen out the car.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:59 AM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
Looks great except for the over abundance of badges on the rear looks like some poser designed it (fortunatly an easy fix). What next a gold badge option. The sunroof looks really cheap like they forgot to design it into the car and added it on later or they'll add a moon roof option and call it a targa. The car is an overall improvement over the 997 but the "value engineering" is really starting to cheapen out the car.
What is "value engineering? (I honestly don't know)

My initial take on the sunroof was that it looked "artistic" and "design" influenced. Some folks feel it's chincey and should go inside the body. I think the design has wow factor. I like how it's a large section that rises up and slides smoothly of the back of the car. Almost looks like racks on top when it's open. I also get a retro-modern (oxymoron I know) feeling from the design which I had to order.

The corners of the sliding section are squared off which is very unique compared to all the near oval chunks of ever other roof out there. Honda accord, Porsche 911 were tired designs with tiny roof openings. This is unique for sure.

FWIW I looove the roof design. Even when closed the separation lines are cool looking IMHO.

Attached Images  

Last edited by EricP; 12-21-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EricP
What is "value engineering? (I honestly don't know)
Value engineering is a process focused on trying to achieve specific design functions at lower cost. This is what engineers are supposed to do in the first place, but experience shows that independent value engineers taking a second look can sometimes come up with good ideas for improvements. Value engineering is generally considered a good thing, but a criticism against it would be that value engineers could inadvertently cause the design to deviate from the original design intent.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:38 AM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
In all honesty I don't see the cheapening of the 991. In contrast I felt they improved everything - and I owned a 997.2. And as I mentioned earlier the sunroof design looks very artsy and intentional. I rarely open my sunroofs but I ordered it based on the design. Porsche stated that they wanted to lower the roofline which they did. I think this is form following function - the older sunroofs which slide under the skin of the roof would raise that roofline to previous levels.

Oh well - to each their own

Cheers.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Love it...I really want to get back into a Porsche..

Dave

Old 12-21-2011, 05:53 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
i'm sure it looks better in person. i am not fond of the busy rear. as others have said, too many letters back there. whatever model delete doesn't fix dental floss would. with that said, the cut out for the rear deck ruins the lines of the quarters. don't like the headlights either.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:12 AM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
I ordered mine in white weeks ago. You may also do the "model designation delete" free of charge which I did so my base Carrera will just say PORSCHE and nothing else. Since I also ordered mine with the 20 inch Carrera S wheels to the untrained eye mine will look just like an S. Happy with my choice

Old 12-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
I believe the 991 will look better in person than in pictures. There's something about the proportions or angles of the rear glass & pillars into the rear body that seems off. I'm excited to see and drive one shortly, as I have also been jonesing to get back into a 911...

Old 12-23-2011, 01:19 PM
I want to share this because it struck me in a good way. I'm close with my GM - I'm a return customer and he knows I do all my own research and he doesn't need to "sell" me. Besides, my order was already placed. He went down to the S. Africa Dealer presentation thingy. He's obviously seen 10,000 pics like the rest of us - but he said the thing that struck him when he first saw the car in person was how shockingly flat and wide it is. He said that the tiny but of lowering of the roofline and the added width of the from axle combine to make it look very "supercar" wide. He says in person the car is markedly more aggressive and striking that the 996/997 series. He said "photos don't make it pop like it does in reality."

Old 12-25-2011, 08:16 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Originally Posted by EricP
I want to share this because it struck me in a good way. I'm close with my GM - I'm a return customer and he knows I do all my own research and he doesn't need to "sell" me. Besides, my order was already placed. He went down to the S. Africa Dealer presentation thingy. He's obviously seen 10,000 pics like the rest of us - but he said the thing that struck him when he first saw the car in person was how shockingly flat and wide it is. He said that the tiny but of lowering of the roofline and the added width of the from axle combine to make it look very "supercar" wide. He says in person the car is markedly more aggressive and striking that the 996/997 series. He said "photos don't make it pop like it does in reality."
I'd imagine the same as the stance of the Panamera is very similar of low & wide. There's just something about cars like that which seem to catch the eye...

Old 12-25-2011, 08:21 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
thanks for sharing, the car looks fab, plus great shots from your Iphone....

Old 01-03-2012, 07:30 PM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
The new rear reminds me of my old AM V8 Vantage for some reason and I love it. So these are being sold allready or they are just showroom pieces? What was the sticker on this white one if you don't mind?

Update: Oh, I see that you are in the UK...

Last edited by SonicKrack; 01-03-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:01 PM
THey'll be in US dealers within the next 2 weeks. Feb 4th is the official US launch date but my dealer has 3 in port right now - or somewhere between US port and the showroom.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Nurburg611 is infamous around these partsNurburg611 is infamous around these parts
White looks sweet (black or Carrera red inside awesome). Wonder how well Cognac and Lime Gold will be selling... although I'll hold off with my opinion on latter till I've seen it in person.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I saw this today at Porsche.