Deposit on 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
911dev, did you see the R&T article on the 991S? 0-60 in 3.5 and the 1320 in 11.8 @118mph. As I said..the 991 S is definitely in the realm of the 997.2 GT3 in terms of speed. Incredible car.

Do I feel the 991GT3 will be faster? Of course it will, a lot more expensive to I would imagine.

Dave
What makes the GT3 such an amazing car to drive is the visceral connection the driver has with it. Every input is met with an immediate response, from the rifle bolt action of the shifter, the immediate throttle response of the engine and many other factors that makes you feel connected to this car like no other. The new 991S sounds like a great car (other than the manual trans.) but a GT3 it isn't. The 991 S acceleration figures are a result of "launch control" which i would think will not be used very much in real world driving. A better "real world" figure would be some rolling start comparisons or at least a manual to manual comparison.
I'm hoping the 991 GT3 has a performance increase over the 997 version as large as the 991 S has over the 997 S, it that's the case it will be even more incredible than it is now.

Last edited by Bruce; 01-05-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:13 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
911dev, did you see the R&T article on the 991S? 0-60 in 3.5 and the 1320 in 11.8 @118mph. As I said..the 991 S is definitely in the realm of the 997.2 GT3 in terms of speed. Incredible car.

Do I feel the 991GT3 will be faster? Of course it will, a lot more expensive to I would imagine.

Dave

To reiterate, without LC AND PDK the 991S wouldn't be near GT3 in any in-gear run. Look at the 0-100 numbers alone. The 991S with a computerized launch, PDK to optimize shifts at a speed incapable by even the fastest professional driver, shorter gear ratios, with an additional 45 lb rotating/unsprung mass weight reduction (PCCBs) and it's still AT LEAST .4 more like .6 seconds slower to 100.

And, the 991S is NOT built for repeated track duty as the GT cars are.

Either way, once you go GT you never go back.

I love lots about the 991S and its speed capabilities on a road course and accelerating, but let us not pretend it is more than it really is.

Last edited by 911dev; 01-05-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:25 PM
DocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud of
Wouldn't it be funny if people prefer the old gearbox and old hydraulic steering? No doubt the new one will be much faster.

Ditto on the back seat. That is the only thing keeping the GT3 out of my garage.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DocMartin9
Wouldn't it be funny if people prefer the old gearbox and old hydraulic steering? No doubt the new one will be much faster.

Ditto on the back seat. That is the only thing keeping the GT3 out of my garage.
I don't think you'll ever see a back seat in a GT3, go and drive one and you'll figure out how to deal with no back seat.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:03 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
I dont understand this logic of backseats in a road legal track car

i really dont want to offend anyone on this post or fight about it, I just dont really see why back seats need to be involved in a car like this.

i guess its just my opinion. Every other model has them, I like where porsche is going with these gt cars, It's not for everyone, It is not a family car
I think porsche is doing a decent job of offering a model for everyone and every type of person.

I think (if im not mestaken) the gt car thats had back seats an was most like the gt3 was the gts

maybe they will offer something like this for 991. maybe others know more about this

i dont know much about 991's but Ive been researching 997gt3 and rs as much as I can
i guess its all an opinion. either way porsche is a great brand, i like where they are heading in 991 so far from what ive been reading.

cant wait to see the gt3 myself..

Last edited by lopro; 01-07-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:34 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by lopro
I dont understand this logic of backseats in a road legal track car

i really dont want to offend anyone on this post or fight about it, I just dont really see why back seats need to be involved in a car like this.

i guess its just my opinion. Every other model has them, I like where porsche is going with these gt cars, It's not for everyone, It is not a family car
I think porsche is doing a decent job of offering a model for everyone and every type of person.

I think (if im not mestaken) the gt car thats had back seats an was most like the gt3 was the gts

maybe they will offer something like this for 991. maybe others know more about this

i dont know much about 991's but Ive been researching 997gt3 and rs as much as I can
i guess its all an opinion. either way porsche is a great brand, i like where they are heading in 991 so far from what ive been reading.

cant wait to see the gt3 myself..
I completely agree with you opinion regrading a back seat in a GT3. They have no place in a GT car. Like you said, there are so many other 911 options these days that people have many alternate choices. If anything maybe Porsche needs to make the 911 more hardcore to satisfy some of these customers, but adding a rear seat is not the answer.

The GTS, although an excellent car, is not GT3 like. The GTS has more in common with the 911S Carrera; because that is what it is. It is a 911S with the x51 power-kit (optional for any Carrera) and wide hips like the C4, nothing more. No offense intended to any GTS owners, but it is what it is.

Last edited by 911dev; 01-08-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:08 PM
the993 is infamous around these parts
oooooooo

The following is from an interview 10/2011 in PANORAMA with Porsche CEO
Matthias Muller in the Porsche Museum during the sneak preview of the new 911.

Is this car an indication of your determination that Porsche will remain Porsche?

Muller: Yes. I think what we have announced here is a real icon, this seventh generation of the 911. As you see, the car looks better than the 997 and I can promise you it also drives better than its predecessor. So it's a great solution from our engineers and we are very convinced that the car will be a huge success for Porsche.

What about the evolution to a race car for the 991?

Muller: As far as I know we will have a GT2 and a GT3 in the middle or the second half of next year. You can expect every derivative which we had with the 997, but these derivatives will contain some surprises.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:44 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
sounds promising

Old 03-10-2012, 07:21 PM
930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future
i have one on deposit on one also!

Old 03-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
[quote][quote]
Originally Posted by 911dev
yeah, maybe. but consider that the 991S is far behind in any straight line run. the 0-100 and beyond times are still far apart. of course, it may run one lap with a similar time to the .2 3 at the ring, but it won't repeat that as many times as the gt3. /QUOTE]

Haven't heard Porsche say that, and going by the numbers between these 2 cars, the 0 to 100 times don't suggest there is any notable difference.

The head Porsche rep from HQ at the release night said 991 ring times are very consistent (vs GT3 .2). These guys hold a level of dialogue with PAG and have all been over there recently, also participating in the camps at iceland where they drive and marvel the accomplishments of the new car. The GT3 has bigger brakes and is a more track focused car but the newer 991 chassis platform has levelled out any advantage the 3 had with its own special suspension and lighter chassis. 991S is certainly not to be underestimated.

The recent clip here showing the 991S stride away from 997S.2 is evidence the new 991 is more than just a pretty face.

I really doubt it. 0-60 are meaningless, imo. 0-100 and beyond are what tests a car's capabilities. I believe even Porsche claims the 991 (W/PDK) is about 1.5 seconds behind the .2 gt3 to 100. It gets worse as the speed increases.

if you tested a manual 7 speed against the gt3, the gap would worsen.
And, how many times are you going to use launch control.
I haven't heard that either although there (may) be something in it if you were using the manual 991S. Can you link a reference from Porsche?...or a test that has been conducted to confirm what you are saying here?

there is more than just the seats. The .2 gt3 only has one layer of metal below the rear compartment whereas a Carrera has two and is more reinforced. Porsche warns against adding a rear seat to a .2 gt3/rs.

As far as adding a rear seat to a GT car, be sure it's a .1 or later.
Realistically, if involved in a personal injury accident, one would clearly have liability.
Haven't heard of that either. Again if you could link the reference from Porsche where they say rear seats are not advised or unable to be fitted into a GT3.2, or earlier GT car, that would confirm your advice on that.

My investigating the possibilities of fitting rear seats into a GT3 with Porsche technical HQ (Aus) confirmed that the car can take the rear seats and is legal where fitted and DOT approved by an approved engineer. Porsche themselves just don't/won't do it because it defeats what they designed the car for.....a lightweight track focused car. I've seen a few GT3 cars here with the rear seats in them...all signed off and 100% safe and legal. Porsche did say there is no insulation in the rear of the car so it would be noisier but said no structural weakness that would restrict installation. Maybe that is what you are referring to...the omission of insulation, plus GT3RS comes with the scaffolding as standard so that would have to come out.

That's the general consensus. 991S is fast in a straight line too.

Last edited by speed21; 03-10-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:43 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by the993
oooooooo

The following is from an interview 10/2011 in PANORAMA with Porsche CEO
Matthias Muller in the Porsche Museum during the sneak preview of the new 911.

Is this car an indication of your determination that Porsche will remain Porsche?

Muller: Yes. I think what we have announced here is a real icon, this seventh generation of the 911. As you see, the car looks better than the 997 and I can promise you it also drives better than its predecessor. So it's a great solution from our engineers and we are very convinced that the car will be a huge success for Porsche.

What about the evolution to a race car for the 991?

Muller: As far as I know we will have a GT2 and a GT3 in the middle or the second half of next year. You can expect every derivative which we had with the 997, but these derivatives will contain some surprises.

Love the surprises part. Going on record here to say they add launch control to the MT cars, maybe the GT3

Old 03-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 930man
i have one on deposit on one also!
930man, are you able to shed any light on the performance and acceleration differences between the 991S and 997GT3 given your own experience with these 2 cars?

I note your post 263 in mostlyjames's 997GTS Vs 991 thread where you stated the 991S was rounding up and passing heavily track prepped 997gt3's...all of you in the instructors group of drivers.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:49 PM
HansGT2 is infamous around these parts
Received latest issue of auto motor und sport (#7, 3/8/2012) in the mail today (they send them airmail these days). A brief news item states that the engine of the new GT3 will be based on the one from the 991(no more Metzger engine) and that PDK will be available. Its debut will be at next year's Detroit auto show.

The new 991-based turbo will have about 530 hp with two turbo chargers. It will have rear-wheel steering and "adaptive aerodynamics" front and rear. Will probably come out this summer. Porsche is experimenting with four turbo chargers to improve efficiency.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:35 PM
H-MAN is infamous around these parts
I think the GT3 seats needs rear seats. Porsche can offer a rear seat delete as a no cost option. The C63BS has rear seat delete as an option. My kids ride in my car several times a week. It's a huge plus to have rear seats for those of us with young families.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by HansGT2
Received latest issue of auto motor und sport (#7, 3/8/2012) in the mail today (they send them airmail these days). A brief news item states that the engine of the new GT3 will be based on the one from the 991(no more Metzger engine) and that PDK will be available. Its debut will be at next year's Detroit auto show.

The new 991-based turbo will have about 530 hp with two turbo chargers. It will have rear-wheel steering and "adaptive aerodynamics" front and rear. Will probably come out this summer. Porsche is experimenting with four turbo chargers to improve efficiency.
Make that 3 turbos....and also heard the rear steering is on the cards as well.

Originally Posted by H-MAN
I think the GT3 seats needs rear seats. Porsche can offer a rear seat delete as a no cost option. The C63BS has rear seat delete as an option. My kids ride in my car several times a week. It's a huge plus to have rear seats for those of us with young families.
Essentially the GT3 was designed as porsches most track oriented car so weight reductions were key. Not saying the rear seat option shouldnt be available..... I recall my dissapointment when Porsche wouldn't oblige this special request for a repeat customer hence my investigations into the possibilities....which can be done if not a PIA.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Deposit on 991 GT3