991s-Rev Counter: Silver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 07:54 PM
fkhanod is infamous around these parts
991s-Rev Counter: Silver

Hi all,

for those of you who have ordered a 991 how many are keeping the Rev Couner (tach) in silver. That appears to be the default standard-you need to specify if you want it in black which would match the other dials.

Seems a little odd that all the dials are black except the tach.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:21 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
It does seem odd. BUT I decided to leave it alone. It's a case of "I haven't seen the car and I'm ordering blind, there must be a reason Porsche is doing it this way."

From pics I agree that the Tach would look better in black so all gauges are black but it sooo odd looking there has to be a LOGICAL reason why they left it gray/silver... let's hope ! <-----

It's like leaving one of the side view mirrors primer and painting the other one appropriately.

Last edited by EricP; 12-26-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Hi Eric,

I was watching several videos of the 991s and the tach does not look that out of place. It is hard to order the car blind without having seen one-but like you said Porsche probably knew what they were doing or so we hope.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:53 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
look at the cayenne's, the silver gauges look odd as u can see the cutouts for all the little lights and such underneath.. black matches and also masks those lights (cruise/headlights/etc)

Old 12-27-2011, 04:39 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Then I wonder who (at Porsche) made the decision to keep the Tach silver? And why?

Last edited by EricP; 12-27-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:46 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Because then they can charge more for matching the tach to the other gauges?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:12 PM
wa1l1in-you are absolutely correct about the tach and seeing the indicator lights underneath. It seems that on both the Cayenne S and Panamera S the tach is silver. On the turbo models of both the gauges are all black.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by StorminS4
Because then they can charge more for matching the tach to the other gauges?
No. Instrument dials in black is a $0 option.

Attached Images   
Old 12-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Eric-when is your build date?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:20 PM
2-14 and I think I'm locked down now. I may call tomorrow and see if I can change the dial thing to black - but I'm 99% sure I cannot.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:34 PM
I think you should be ok to change it still. If not its not the end of the world-not sure what would be involved if you wanted to change it down the road if it really bothered you. Let us know if you were able to change it. Good luck.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:36 PM
3 weeks ago they said I was locked but I'll ask again. I'm not sure if I want it in black or silver. I still have this "why did they do that?" feeling.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:30 AM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Personally, I'd do the all-black option.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:40 AM
I'll run over there today and let you guys know what I find out. I'll ask if anyone at the dealership knows why they made one dial silver. I'll check out a panamera and see what I prefer. Could this have anything to do with night driving?

I know turbo 911's (997) are all silver/gray by default. 1980's porsche SC's are all black so it harkens back to that vintage feel to have black dials.

Completely white dials are a little ricky racer - yuck. (not silver)

Last edited by EricP; 12-29-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:56 AM
I just did a mini investigation on the silver dial issue - attached are some photos of both. Honestly I like the silver dial default option. It adds a "layering" effect and draws attention to the center dial. Since the dials overlay each other in the layout, the lighter color in the center adds a "descending" feel to the other gauges. It makes the silver center look "on top".

Here (pics)

Attached Images     

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991s-Rev Counter: Silver