OMG! Platinum Silver is almost Metallic Beige

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 08:00 PM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by EricP
You prob know I'm in already with my Plat/Espresso build. I just called my dealer to see if I'm locked - they'll have to call me back tomorrow as it's late ... I might change to GT....
You're going to hate yourself if you change the colors. The colors you currently have on order will drip with class. Of course that's just my .02 cents, and that's a whole lot less than you'll be spending...

Promise us that you'll post photos of the car, whichever color you decide to order. I love the Espresso interior.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:11 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NC 997
You're going to hate yourself if you change the colors. The colors you currently have on order will drip with class. Of course that's just my .02 cents, and that's a whole lot less than you'll be spending...

Promise us that you'll post photos of the car, whichever color you decide to order. I love the Espresso interior.
I'm right there with you - thanks for the vote of confidence. I won't change and if I show up to take delivery the evening it arrives - I will hold you personally responsible if it looks like a gold Accord.

I'm happy with my choice. Plat/espresso it is!

picture, this is 100% guaranteed a platinum car (love it)

Attached Images  

Last edited by EricP; 12-28-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:35 PM
TorontoPF has a spectacular aura aboutTorontoPF has a spectacular aura about
Still love the Platinum

Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2011, 10:25 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Just for comparison, check Porsche Platinum Silver side by side with Mercedes Benz Standard Iridium Silver. great color BTW, neither Brown nor Blue hues in it.

Attached Images   
Old 12-29-2011, 12:10 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Eric, there is no question in my mind that the platinum silver will look gorgeous with the espresso interior. I custom spec'd a TT order in the same combo and cancelled it after I realized how much of an overkill a TT would be for someone who has avergae driving skills (and more importantly for someone who enjoys my current 997). Make no mistake though that there is a subtle earth/beige tone to the platinum silver especially in certain lighting compared to the GT silver. Here is a side by side comparison that I shot with my GT silver as close that I could get with a car that had the platinum silver paint. Unfortunately it was a cloudy day but you can still appreciate the color difference. The closest car that comes to platinum silver is probably the alabaster silver metallic on the current gen Honda odyssey.

Attached Images   

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 12-29-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:19 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
BTW, my Carrera 3.2 took offense to some harsh statements made on the champagne color adorning sports cars. It wanted to make statement and egged me to post thise shot The color is Weissach gold metallic (or white gold emtallic) and coincidentally it does have a chocolate brwon interior somewhat close to the espresso. Just kidding guys ... no offense taken. Just enjoy the shot.

Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2011, 02:49 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
The problem I have with GT SIlver is that I get lavender gray feeling from it when its cloudy, dusk, or any condition that isn't 12:00 noon in July summer lighting.

...and I dislike blue gray more than earthy tone silver.

I keep going back to this photo which is platinum. THere is no earthy yellow or champagne in this Platinum 991 AT ALL. It's pure silver:

Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
I saw a 997.2 in platinum at a local dealer and that sealed the deal for me. I owned a GT Silver and a Arctic Silver 911 and I liked the Pt more. Yes, it has a subtle touch of brown, in it, but champagne?, Honda gold? Nah, don't worry

My order is Pt/expresso.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:19 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
The problem I have with GT SIlver is that I get lavender gray feeling from it when its cloudy, dusk, or any condition that isn't 12:00 noon in July summer lighting.

...and I dislike blue gray more than earthy tone silver.

I keep going back to this photo which is platinum. THere is no earthy yellow or champagne in this Platinum 991 AT ALL. It's pure silver:

Precisely that is the best picture I have seen of the 991 so far, I would order one exactly like that if it is PSM. It looks beautiful!
Hope that someone that saw the car in the Rennsport Reunion chime in and confirm if it is PSM before my order locks! , not quite sure though. read a few posts in the Rennteam forum that it was Gt Silver.
OTOH, WOOT's observations in other posts regarding certain details of his cars have been very precise.

Last edited by galion; 12-29-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:59 PM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
I'm right there with you - thanks for the vote of confidence. I won't change and if I show up to take delivery the evening it arrives - I will hold you personally responsible if it looks like a gold Accord.

I'm happy with my choice. Plat/espresso it is!
Very cool.. I'm pretty sure the car won't remind you of a gold late '70s Accord.

Some cars that look great in pewter - MB has a couple pewter paints that look spectacular - on a MB. I've often wondered why the lads in Stuttgart don't offer a 911 in pewter, but at the same time I have to believe that they've shot the car in nearly every color known to man, and they probably know what will and what won't sell.

Maybe the visual I have of a 911 in pewter might be somewhat skewed..

Old 12-29-2011, 05:19 PM
(no offense to anyone's color choice disclaimer )

I went to the dealer today and saw 4 cars - 2 Platinum and 2 GT Silver. I dislike them both equally. But I dislike GT silver more simply because if the lighting isn't perfect it turns gray blue. BIG time. It almost looks like metallic baby blue.

Where is Porsche pure white silver - 100% absence of color - Just plain sterling silver?

Anyway I took these pics. Note the Espresso brown in the sample pics looks almost black. It's FANTASTIC - so dark that it makes a grizzly bear look tan It looks like a wet cigar. I'm happy with that because many photos online wash it out and it looks purple. Not at all. It's pure dark coffee bean. Like wet soil. Oily dark brown.

I won't describe the pics because you can see which is which, but the pic of the rear of the car outdoors is GT Silver with that daytime blue effect which I think dates the car. Hard to believe it's the same color as the sample plates in the other pics but it is. Silver will drive you nuts because it's like asking, "What color is this mirror?"

Attached Images      

Last edited by EricP; 12-29-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:32 PM
And here is a Platinum Silver 997.2 cab on the showroom floor. Unfort it is being flooded with amber light from above. You can see the reflection of the bulb in the passenger mirror. I took this pic today at my dealer..

Attached Images  

Last edited by EricP; 12-29-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
BTW, my Carrera 3.2 took offense to some harsh statements made on the champagne color adorning sports cars. It wanted to make statement and egged me to post thise shot The color is Weissach gold metallic (or white gold emtallic) and coincidentally it does have a chocolate brwon interior somewhat close to the espresso. Just kidding guys ... no offense taken. Just enjoy the shot.
Thanks for both posts w00t. Valuable pics too!

Last edited by EricP; 12-29-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Eric and Galion: Thank you for acknowledging my pics/posts. Eric you are killing me here. One day you say you like Plat Silver and then you change your mind again. You will no longer get pure silver. That's gone with arctic silver. If you are ordering espresso interior, you have to go with platinum silver over GT silver. if you are going with black then GT would be the better choice. If I were to do it all over again I would definitely go with Platinum silver/espresso interior. Here are some pics of the espresso interior on my Cayenne (two tone with cognac). I am a huge fan of two tone interiors on SUVs not sports cars and even more bigger fan of natural leather. Platinum silver evokes a drool effect in cloudy weather but not so much with bright sunshine for me for which I prefer the GT silver as this shot tells you. I am not a big fan of tints on sports cars but my C4S is an all-weather car and I do travel quite a bit on 105 degree hot sunny days. I hear ya guys on the lavender feel and you are dead right on that. Platinum silver color almost matches a MacBook shade.

Attached Images      

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 12-29-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:23 PM
w00t,

Yeah I know I'm killing ya. But there is no pure titanium silver so I picked the best of the 2 available silvers. Trust me - I currently have 48 hours to change my color before my build is locked - BUT... I told my dealer today to GO FOR IT...keep me locked in on Platinum and Espresso. It's a done deal - I wish it was a touch less champagne in certain lights but it's my choice and I'm happy with it. I just posted the pics today as demonstration. There was no changing from Platinum today. Galion got me fired up by reminding me of the beige/yellow

Yeah that cognac and brown interior is nuts. I saw a Cayenne at my dealer built that way earlier this year.

More eye candy - below is a GORGEOUS Platinum GTS. Enjoy it in all it's splendor.

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OMG! Platinum Silver is almost Metallic Beige