Automobile Mag 991 review - maybe not that wonderful

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 12:26 PM
number 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to behold
Automobile Mag 991 review - maybe not that wonderful

A few paragraphs:

"the outgoing car is a true 911 in every way -- a little scary, a lot capable, and a complete match for the thrill of the old air-cooled 911s.
Porsche's sports cars have distinguished themselves from every other car in the world by communicating to your fingertips every little thing the front end does. A dip, a hole, a camber change, the curled edges of a red Japanese maple leaf -- you are blissfully aware of precisely everything that a 911's front wheels roll over. More important, every steering input you make is met, a fraction of a second later, with an equal and opposite tug at the wheel caused by the monster fighting your every move. The outgoing 911, inparticular, is a glorious departure from modern cars' ridiculous obsession with beating their predecessors and competitors around the Nuerburgring. Sure, the 2011 911 is fast as hell around that and every other racetrack, but that's not what makes it so good. We love the 911 mostly because it's the only car in the world that delivers supercar performance with sports car levels of driver involvement.

Later....

In fact, the 2012 Porsche 911 has no temper at all. The rear end never feels like it's going to come unstuck. And the steering? Well, it never feels like much at all. As a result, the new 911 doesn't really feel like a 911. For that, we can blame European-market customers and press, who railed that the last car was nervous at top speed. They weren't wrong -- it was -- but that problem is becoming increasingly irrelevant. Even Porsche points out that less than ten percent of autobahns now have no speed limit. The company also admits that the United States is "easily the most important market" for the 911.

We don't have autobahns here. At our slow interstate speeds, modern cars are so incredibly capable and refined and removed that we eat food, apply makeup, and talk on the phone -- because we're bored. That's what makes the 911 great -- you actually have to work to keep the car on the straight and narrow. Or at least you used to.

If the 991 is the only 911 you've ever driven, you'll probably think it's the best Porsche ever -- and in many ways we agree. If, on the other hand, you reveled in the old 911's endless feedback; if you relished the thrill of taming a car that didn't really want to be tamed; if you loved the 911 precisely because it wasn't perfect; and, certainly, if you thought that the Porsche 911 was an icon that couldn't be improved and shouldn't be changed, then the 2012 Porsche 911 might not feel like that much of an icon to you."

I guess that we'll have to wait to see how they "improve" the tt.

Last edited by number 3; 01-19-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:59 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
Anytime you are compared to Ferrari 458, it has to be a great 911.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Nurburg611 is infamous around these partsNurburg611 is infamous around these parts
We discussed that article a few below:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...utomobile.html

Old 01-06-2012, 01:12 PM
number 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to beholdnumber 3 is a splendid one to behold
they moved it here, it was meant for the turbo forum

Old 01-18-2012, 03:27 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Most of the reviews had all the electronic options that helped keep them from making mistakes. Perhaps that's why they think it's easy to keep the rear end in the rear.

ChuckJ

Old 01-18-2012, 04:25 PM
warnica is infamous around these parts
Why people don't want this car alone to move forward and get better, I may never understand. The argument seems to be that people miss it's shortcomings. No one ever says that about Ferrari.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:47 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Ive said it before - crap magazine. The 991 is better in every way and this review stands alone in what they say. I'll take the other 22 reviews I've read watched over this one.

And by the way this article has been covered in another thread.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:03 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
According to my rep, "don't PDCC or PTV" and it feels like the 997.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:20 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by uhn2000
So does that mean the 911 is going in the direction of the Nissan GT-R?

Old 01-19-2012, 09:56 AM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by uhn2000
Translation:

"Don't take advantage of flatter and better handling and it more closely resembles the previous model."

...and Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) was already available on the 997 cars. (turbo) so I don't get this statement.

And regarding the magazine review I tire of the revolt against change. I assume it to be human nature to resist change so I'll chalk it up to that. But as I mentioned in a related thread ...they made it faster, flatter handling, quicker braking, lighter, and greener - and made it less twitchy (less likely to kill you) and the magazine says it's no longer a 911. I'll take it!!

So in 1912 upon the advent of electric ignition by Cadillac, did the Daily Times writer say "It no longer requires a hand crank to start your car - I long for the days passed and my beloved Model A" (??)

Zzzzz

Last edited by EricP; 01-19-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:10 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
It's human nature to revolt against change. Look at the criticism Nissan GTR received when it beat Turbo on Nurbirgring. "feels disconnected from the road." "too much electronics interfering with real driving experience." etc...

It does look like Porsche engineer are going down the same road as GTR with all the handling electronics wizardry...

Old 01-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by steph280
It's human nature to revolt against change. Look at the criticism Nissan GTR received when it beat Turbo on Nurbirgring. "feels disconnected from the road." "too much electronics interfering with real driving experience." etc...

It does look like Porsche engineer are going down the same road as GTR with all the handling electronics wizardry...
I'm all for a car not being dangerously twitchy, but I do have concern about having so many driver's aids that driving mistakes are heavily masked and connection with the car and road is diminished. I've driven the GT-R and I think it's a blast, but IMO it lacks the purity of a 997.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by steph280

I hear you, but there are dozens of reviews of the 991 out there now and Automobile was the only source to issue gripe and malcontent. I haven't heard another report of driver disconnect yet. Chris Harris (who I trust and admire) says it's still a 911.

"The new power steering - a pleasant surprise - I thought it was going to be a problem."

"The first thing you need to know about this new 991 is it's a real 911, it feels like a 911." -- Chris Harris

We've all seen the video

Old 01-19-2012, 11:03 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
Nice! Haven't seen that video. Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by EricP
I hear you, but there are dozens of reviews of the 991 out there now and Automobile was the only source to issue gripe and malcontent. I haven't heard another report of driver disconnect yet. Chris Harris (who I trust and admire) says it's still a 911.

"The new power steering - a pleasant surprise - I thought it was going to be a problem."

"The first thing you need to know about this new 991 is it's a real 911, it feels like a 911." -- Chris Harris

We've all seen the video
Agreed that the reviews so far are generally encouraging. I'm hoping to drive one myself on Feb 4 at my local dealer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Automobile Mag 991 review - maybe not that wonderful