991s vs. 997 4s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 12:36 PM
oudiantebi is infamous around these parts
991s vs. 997 4s

I am an owner of a 2007 997 4s. I am tempted to buy the new 991, however I realize that they won't have the 4s version for a while.

I use my car as my only car and appreciate the fact that i can drive it on rainy days as well (Also love the wide body of the 4s).

Should i wait for the 4s or go get myself the new 991s? Will the 991s drive better than the 997 4s?

Old 01-06-2012, 12:54 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
If you prefer the 4wd powertrain I would suggest wait for the 4s, as it will be out sooner than you think, porsche is fast becoming a more efficient business machine. That will give you some time to save up.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:40 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
I am in the same boat and agree with aamersa. I would guess that we will see the 4S by next (Northern hemisphere) winter. The 991 has the wider track, slightly better axle placement and tech goodies (PDCC, PTV, DEM etc.) but the 9974S has bigger tires and all 4 creating traction. So not clear to me which would be grippier.

Which is "better" as you ask? That's much more complicated -- weight, steering feel, etc. That debate will rage on as long as Porsche makes 2WD and 4WD 911s.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:04 PM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
for AWD to assist you in the rain, you must be driving horribly wrecklessly. Its not like the AWD is going to help you with cornering and braking.. i'd say the C2S would be just fine. Between the modern traction control and wide rear tires, you should have no problems with accelerating unless you're driving through a flood.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by oudiantebi
I am an owner of a 2007 997 4s. I am tempted to buy the new 991, however I realize that they won't have the 4s version for a while.

I use my car as my only car and appreciate the fact that i can drive it on rainy days as well (Also love the wide body of the 4s).

Should i wait for the 4s or go get myself the new 991s? Will the 991s drive better than the 997 4s?
You can checkout the differences (991 vs. 997) in the latest magazine reviews of the 991. If you like the wide body and 4wd version of the 997 then you should probably wait for the 991 4wd version which is maybe a year away. Sounds like you really want the 4wd version.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Dave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond repute
If you plan on doing winter driving, wait for C4S

Old 01-06-2012, 03:08 PM
wrong answer ;)

I was hoping you'd all tell me to go ahead and enjoy a brand new 991s as it is better than the 4s. Now I really have to wait..... grrrr

Old 01-06-2012, 06:55 PM
exponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to behold
The brand new 991S is far better than the 997 4S and I do not think that you need 4wd in the rainny days but on the winter with snow.

However, sound like you prefer 4wd so go with what your heart want. For me, RWD is a lot more fun to drive

Old 01-06-2012, 07:12 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
2wd Porsches are the quintessential snow car - engine over the wheels. Get your 991.

Does this help:

Old 01-07-2012, 12:36 PM
appreciate all the answers

Will go and test drive soon!

Old 01-07-2012, 12:42 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Wow! That must have been a professional driver in that snow video above. I could probably pull that off after a lot of practice but generally I find driving in the snow to be tiring and nerve racking, you need to concentrate so much harder, whereas in dry conditions I can drive with my eyes closed most of the time.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:57 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Ahh. I live in Colorado - I can drive sideways in the snow while eating and arguing with my wife - and checking my email..

just comes from necessity.

Last edited by EricP; 01-08-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:51 AM
I can driver sideways in the snow while eating and arguing with my wife - and checking my email
I guess Colorado probably gets a lot more snow than Illinois. I have lived in Illinois many years including the Chicago area and managed to negotiate some ***** winter driving conditions but was never brave enough to multitask. I remember thanking the Lord that I was driving a front wheel drive.

But if you can pull off that kind of multitasking driving a rwd, then evolution and necessity has allowed you to develop your driving skills to an extremely skill level.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Nurburg611 is infamous around these partsNurburg611 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by KonaKai
I am in the same boat and agree with aamersa. I would guess that we will see the 4S by next (Northern hemisphere) winter. The 991 has the wider track, slightly better axle placement and tech goodies (PDCC, PTV, DEM etc.) but the 9974S has bigger tires and all 4 creating traction. So not clear to me which would be grippier.

Which is "better" as you ask? That's much more complicated -- weight, steering feel, etc. That debate will rage on as long as Porsche makes 2WD and 4WD 911s.
If you really drive in winter time you should get yourself a nice set of winter tires. They are smaller(!) - or I should say thinner but usually both - because you want as much weight on as little area as possible. Further, they have a softer rubber mix to make them more sticky in cold conditions that if you drive in summer time you can burnout really nicely and replace them the following year LOL. With those in place you should have no problems in either 2S or 4S, with the 4S still having less chances of getting stuck. 4WD will always be superior in wintertime.

So when it's snowing please leave your 991 with 20" wheels at home unless you wanna go sledding (and insurance won't pay for that fun).

Plus with all that salt and stone chips I'm gonna leave mine safely in the garage for those few days...

Old 01-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
Like some of the guys before me have said, you'd be fine in the rain with a 2s. No problems at all.
But if you're going to drive it on snow then the 4s will be a better option.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991s vs. 997 4s