991 GT3 rendering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:15 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tortesq1
Porsche will sell literally twice as many GT models (GT3, GT3RS, GT2, GT2RS) if they offer a PDK option. I just don't get the vehement opposition to offering this option. The "purists" are marketing morons. Just look at the insane sales and performance #'s on the Nissan GTR. The simple fact is that a GT series car with a PDK transmission is a no-brainer as many former 6 speed guys (myself included) who daily drive their beasties will seriously consider a GT series car. There is a reason that the GT3Cup and GT3RSR cars are sequential trannies - maybe its b/c they get the driver from point A to point B without missing a shift in less time than it takes to do it in a simple manual !!! I know the purists will cry foul, but I respectfully suggest that the GT cars can compete with the best from Maranello if the offer a PDK tranny. My 2 cents.
I get it entirely....and i love it! The "purists" know exactly who the morons are....you better believe it . My take; Porsche is happy to keep poseurs and badge junkies away from this model by adding the no PDK option as a deterrent. Porsche has gone to a lot of painstaking time and trouble to make a car specifically for those customers who want the exclusivity of owning a model that was designed to deliver the full senses at the limit without any compromise. This car was never intended for the masses, regardless of how much winging and moaning goes on out there. Why would anyone be so naive to think Porsche would be bothed in the slightest if they missed out on a few sales when they already have enough alternate models to cater for those that want a Porsche car to do certain functions for them? I also dont buy any story that the PDK isnt up to the task in a gt3 either. Simple logic shows the current pdk box can handle way more power and torque (eg: the turbo S) than the 991gt3 will ever likely produce and i'm certain the new PDK is even stronger and better again. The new GT3 car will be lighter, more powerful, and with a better chassis, and in the right hands will be insanely fast enough. If and when Porsche decides that it is time to offer a GT car with a PDK box then that will actually be a worrying day for the brand. Think about it. Porsche figure if you want a car that does it all for you then just go buy the GTR and (try to) be happy with that.

Last edited by speed21; 01-16-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:33 PM
SIIK2NR is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by speed21
I get it entirely....and i love it! The "purists" know exactly who the morons are....you better believe it . My take; Porsche is happy to keep poseurs and badge junkies away from this model by adding the no PDK option as a deterrent. Porsche has gone to a lot of painstaking time and trouble to make a car specifically for those customers who want the exclusivity of owning a model that was designed to deliver the full senses at the limit without any compromise. This car was never intended for the masses, regardless of how much winging and moaning goes on out there. Why would anyone be so naive to think Porsche would be bothed in the slightest if they missed out on a few sales when they already have enough alternate models to cater for those that want a Porsche car to do certain functions for them? I also dont buy any story that the PDK isnt up to the task in a gt3 either. Simple logic shows the current pdk box can handle way more power and torque (eg: the turbo S) than the 991gt3 will ever likely produce and i'm certain the new PDK is even stronger and better again. The new GT3 car will be lighter, more powerful, and with a better chassis, and in the right hands will be insanely fast enough. If and when Porsche decides that it is time to offer a GT car with a PDK box then that will actually be a worrying day for the brand. Think about it. Porsche figure if you want a car that does it all for you then just go buy the GTR and (try to) be happy with that.
x1000

Old 01-16-2012, 12:52 PM
justjones is infamous around these parts
Saw this in Evo Mag and also extremely approved!

Old 01-16-2012, 05:10 PM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
Could not have said it better myself

Old 01-16-2012, 05:42 PM
warnica is infamous around these parts
Isn't the PDK closer to a modern racing transmission than the manual?
If it is, why not give the option?

It is only an option, not forced on you.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:58 PM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
Speed21 you entirely missed my point. The failure to offer PDK as an OPTION is simply a huge blunder. They will sell more units by having the option. This is an indisputable statement. Whether the GT series lines get somehow diluted is where you have a point, but I respectfully disagree. Your pious adherence to an archaic obsolete transmission is illogical. If you really want to go faster on a racetrack or on the street the PDK type of transmission will unequivocally be the faster tranny, even if you are an exceptionally gifted driver. All racing cars have done away with your standard manual transmission. If you really want to go faster you will embrace the new technology. You can talk posseur nonsensical badging all you want but with 2 equal drivers on any circuit in the world, the PDK car will be faster than the 6 or 7 speed manual. Have you even driven a PDK turbo s ? If you driven a 2011 or 2012 TTS with only PDK available, you will be a believer. A GT3RS with PDK would be an unbelievably awesome machine. If a GT3RS4.0 can run even with an F458 on most tracks, IMHO the PDK tranny would make this car a world beater. I mean my Lord - we are only talking about offering an OPTION of a PDK tranny !!!

Old 01-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Speed21 you entirely missed my point. The failure to offer PDK as an OPTION is simply a huge blunder. They will sell more units by having the option. This is an indisputable statement. Whether the GT series lines get somehow diluted is where you have a point, but I respectfully disagree. Your pious adherence to an archaic obsolete transmission is illogical. If you really want to go faster on a racetrack or on the street the PDK type of transmission will unequivocally be the faster tranny, even if you are an exceptionally gifted driver. All racing cars have done away with your standard manual transmission. If you really want to go faster you will embrace the new technology. You can talk posseur nonsensical badging all you want but with 2 equal drivers on any circuit in the world, the PDK car will be faster than the 6 or 7 speed manual. Have you even driven a PDK turbo s ? If you driven a 2011 or 2012 TTS with only PDK available, you will be a believer. A GT3RS with PDK would be an unbelievably awesome machine. If a GT3RS4.0 can run even with an F458 on most tracks, IMHO the PDK tranny would make this car a world beater. I mean my Lord - we are only talking about offering an OPTION of a PDK tranny !!!
No offense tortesque1, (no point missed at all) and i know exactly what you are talking about with sales and having the ultimate sharp knife however this is not a bread and butter model nor was it ever inended to be. I'm inclined to like the German arrogance on this occasion. And yes i have driven PDK. Very efficient, but too clinical for me to keep it interesting over the longer term ownership experience. I have other cars for easy days. One day i may be different but if and when that day comes i will never lose the respect for why certain things are chosen by the maker to be left. Somethings mean much more than just being as sharp and efficent as one can make. Winning may be one thing but this car is made purely for driving and is all about that pure experience. GT3/2 is a blend of technology and indulgence... pure as it comes.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:28 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
i am pro keeping the manual in the GT3 alive and offering the PDK as an option, but only if it can handle the same track tortures as the 6/7-speed.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:35 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
I don't blame the manual-or-death guys. I love a good notchy stick as much as the next guy. I truly consider myself a "proper-transmission" chap - but the PDK is a very cool performance tranny too. I saw a couple Scuderia's (ferrari's) at a dealership this weekend with their paddle system. Very cool stuff. The videos of the PDK 991 reviews on youtube are incredible - it's shift blazingly fast. Like silly fast. This is why my 991 build is PDK equipped - gonna give it a go. Never owned one.

I think the GT3 would be ok if it came in both options. Just because it has a PDK doesn't mean it's Joe-toupe's "check me out in my GT3" weekend sled.

Real men don't drive manual H-pattern gearboxes anyway - they're retrofitted with sequential. So don't get too holy on us.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
i am pro keeping the manual in the GT3 alive and offering the PDK as an option, but only if it can handle the same track tortures as the 6/7-speed.
Torque is the killer here. Not HP. GT3 will have a very tough job of breaking a pdk that can handle the torque of TTS. As a general rule Porsche has a very strong track record of not making things that break easily.

Originally Posted by EricP
Just because it has a PDK doesn't mean it's Joe-toupe's "check me out in my GT3" weekend sled.

Real men don't drive manual H-pattern gearboxes anyway - they're retrofitted with sequential. So don't get too holy on us.
I suspect Porsche figures there may be a likely influx of lexus boulevard cruising owners wanting to look cool poncing around in their flagship GT cars. Not a good a good look for any high end performance brand really.....particularly a brand like Porsche who consider themselves the last word where perfomance and ultimate driving pleasure is concerned.

And on the other....best take it up with Porsche. These guys make these awesome cars and dictate the terms accordingly. They may be holy but gotta give respect where it's due. I'm sure they know what they are doing.

Last edited by speed21; 01-16-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:56 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Torque is the killer here. Not HP. GT3 will have a very tough job of breaking a pdk that can handle the torque of TTS. As a general rule Porsche has a very strong track record of not making things that break easily.

yeah, porsche won`t offer a PDK in their GT cars until the system is bullet proof, they simply cannot afford bad reputation as far as their track cars are concerned.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
yeah, porsche won`t offer a PDK in their GT cars until the system is bullet proof, they simply cannot afford bad reputation as far as their track cars are concerned.
I would think the same except it's hard to overlook the fact how the TTS can manage to continuously launch the car at 5000 rpms unleashing that massive level of torque upon the tranny....time after time after time...
Even GTR is over its earlier transmission issues it would seem so i imagine Porsche is using certain improvements in their development of their new PDK boxes where, if chosen to do, would use in the atmo GT3 car which produces substantially less torques.

Last edited by speed21; 01-16-2012 at 07:04 PM.