Dubai 911 launch event

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 11:54 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Dubai 911 launch event

Just got back. Sorry no pics as my wife was the official photographer and she left early before the cars came out once the baby got irritable.

They had 4 991S vehicles a white, red, black & silver (don't ask which one) of course all Pdks.

My only comment seeing it first time in real life is that from the front the car just looks a lot wider than the 997.

They also send would have vehicles in showroom Feb 1 and test drives can be booked.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:30 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Forget to mention I got a gift on leaving event a matchbox size solid silver 991S model.

Also met my salesperson there who said my car is about to arrive if it hasn't already arrived! I told him I'll check on that status next week. For some reason I am no longer in any rush. I could wait till Mid Feb.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:47 AM
03LX470 is infamous around these parts
Nice launch...but a bit boring with all those speeches...the 3D was not what I expected from Porsche...very amateurish and unlike Porsche

I had already seen the 991 at the Dubai auto show so the I didn't feel WOW-ed by anything in particular last night...am also invited to the Abu Dhabi launch...i wonder if it will be any different?

The 991 should be nice with the PDCC, PTV and weight loss, etc. However, if you have used these technologies in a PTT or CTT when the 997 was ageing over the last couple of years, there is not much "new" to be excited about.

Looking forward to a test drive to decide if I will buy another Porsche sports car or should I start looking towards Italy, especially with the ridiculous price hike at Porsche!

Old 01-20-2012, 06:47 AM
Yeah, speeches are always boring BS and 3D was unnecessary crap. I just went for the cars which thankfully came out eventually.

Italy is ridiculous. I used to want a ferrari but I changed my mind after I realized how impractical the maintenance is. Once your clutch plate goes and it always does, you pay well over AED 100,000 (USD 28,000). A routine maintenance averages AED 30,000-40,000 i.e. USD 10,000. That's not for me. I need a super car I can drive every day if I want to.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:47 AM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
No pics? AAmersa?!?!?

Thats cool - but hit us with your car shots first thing ok?

I spoke with a guy who went to the S.Af. dealer show. I asked him what his initial "first few seconds" thoughts were on the design - what moved him immediately. He said the most striking characteristics were how big the 20's look under the car because of the new flat nature of the body. He also said the headlamps hit him right off the bat too. The convex protrusion of the fishbowl glass and the projector hardware underneath.

...he added that after walking around the car for a bit and then looking at a 997, the latter design looks very dated by comparison. His words not mine.

Last edited by EricP; 01-20-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:38 PM
03LX470 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by aamersa
Yeah, speeches are always boring BS and 3D was unnecessary crap. I just went for the cars which thankfully came out eventually.

Italy is ridiculous. I used to want a ferrari but I changed my mind after I realized how impractical the maintenance is. Once your clutch plate goes and it always does, you pay well over AED 100,000 (USD 28,000). A routine maintenance averages AED 30,000-40,000 i.e. USD 10,000. That's not for me. I need a super car I can drive every day if I want to.
Things are always different for different people

I have owned 10+ new & approved Approved Porsche. Despite my long association with the brand, I still would not call Porsche a "super car".

I would be interested to know which model of Ferrari requires annual clutch replacement & which model were you quoted at Dhs 100,000 for clutch replacement?

Please note:

1. Clutch, like brakes, is changed according to driving style and usage. I have never heard it is to be changed "once a year."

My buddy has a Maserati Granturismo S and he changed the clutch after 3 years and 80,000 kms. Not bad at all as far as I am concerned.

2. I believe the California has dual clutch like Porsche (unlike the F430). So, again, its important to know which Ferrari you're talking about that requires a clutch replacement every year?

3. Maserati introduced Auto on some of their models since 2008 which is pretty much as durable as any other auto transmission so not all Italians will fall into your definition of yearly clutch replacement

4. Most Ferraris now come with a 7 year service contract so you may not have to worry about it maintenance afterall

In the end people should what they want or can afford.

In the end I may never buy an Italian and may simply buy a 911 again.

Or I may buy a Ferrari or Maserati simply because I may want a change after having owned 10+ Porsche.

But its just not right for you to make claims about certain cars based on uninformed assumptions...

Old 01-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Thats cool - but hit us with your car shots first thing ok?

I spoke with a guy who went to the S.Af. dealer show. I asked him what his initial "first few seconds" thoughts were on the design - what moved him immediately. He said the most striking characteristics were how big the 20's look under the car because of the new flat nature of the body. He also said the headlamps hit him right off the bat too. The convex protrusion of the fishbowl glass and the projector hardware underneath.
Ok, I'll get you the pics of my bright red 991S asap

I didn't analyze the minute details of the 991 but my initial impression seeing it first time in person was that it certainly looked bigger than the 997 particularly from the front end. Overall it's a more good looking car than the outgoing 911 for sure. Oh, and I loved the silver one there, at least in the indoor lighting that was available there.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:17 PM
But its just not right for you to make claims about certain cars based on uninformed assumptions...
I think you took it the wrong way. I am not trying to discourage any one who could afford a lamborghini or ferrari from getting one. Just stating the obvious that the maintenance costs would be 15-20 times that of a porsche and time spent in the workshop would be at least 10 times more. So some one privileged enough to have this as one of 10 cars in his/her garage and with money being no object, these cars would be perfect for those privileged few. The fact that they are produced in such limited numbers makes them exclusive for that reason alone.

If ferrari is offering a 7 year service contract I am sure that would cost an arm and leg on top of the AED 1.2 million (usd 325,000) purchase price.

As far as porsche I am no loyalist to the brand, but the figures alone suggest that the turbo is in super car territory with the carerra s just a little bit behind.