Goodbye Porsche, hello R8 (long)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:16 PM
modenaboy has a spectacular aura aboutmodenaboy has a spectacular aura about
Congrats on the R8. I've come close to getting one a few times, but I found an '06 Gallardo with a six speed at a crazy price, and ended up with that and an '08 911S as my daily. That said, the G still gets a lot of play.

I know four people with a V10 R8 with a six speed, and I have driven one - it is fantastic. AMAZING shifter, I love it. The car is sweet, overall I like it a lot. I haven't driven the convertible though, but it looks great. The color you have sounds pretty cool.

I'm a die hard six speed guy, so the manufacturers are going to save me a lot of money - there's an infinite supply of existing cars with six speeds which are only getting cheaper every year, some variation of the current R8 is on that list, as is a 997.2 GT3. Although if my current cars don't really wear out, I might not buy anything else except a replacement daily driver for my wife. I get *really* attached to things.

-- Gordie

Old 01-22-2012, 02:41 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
"Snow? Pshh, you have quattro now!"

Also have other NJ and NY drivers, ugh.

"I couldn't rightfully have it as my DD given the complete lack of usability"

And the spyder has even less storage room than the coupe, but since my laptop fits, it's a perfect DD for me.

"Does that mean a brand new v10 coupe MSRP for 158k can be bought for $138k?"

I doubt it. My car was a leftover '11 sitting on the dealers showroom floor for a couple of months and buying convertibles in the dead of the winter usually gets you a good deal.

"I'm 6'6" 225"

My neighbor is about your size - he tried out my car and kinda looked like one of those clowns coming out of a tiny circus car. It really was a mismatch.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:08 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by EricP
Glad you are excited about your R8 prospect - anytime you find a car that excites you thats a good thing.

I do find your logic flawed a bit though. You are disturbed that your configged 991 S Cabriolet came to $133k and that's emotionally too much for a 911? But you are about to spend $20,000 more on a car that is a hardtop, slower around the track, older, heavier, not as economical, and about to be retired in favor of a refresh?

(edit: I see you said SPYDER CAB R8 - my bad)

So someone else's review on the new 7-speed manual tranny as well as the price increase over last years cab of about $4k has got you wanting an r8? hmmm. ok I guess

If you want an R8 come out and say it. We are flaky car guys - we change our minds about stuff on a dime - we understand. I change my mind 3 times walking through a room!

Good luck - it will be a solid car for sure.
My logic may be flawed, but I'm really happy with my purchase. The car feels subjectively quicker than my 997.2 C2S, though not as fast as my turbo. It has huge amounts of "character" and maybe after all these years with Porsche, I needed a change. Around the track? Never would recommend it as a track car, too heavy, but on the street, it is a sublime driver and really comfortable.

Couldn't agree more with you - we are flaky car guys - and I figure my flirtation with this R8 will last until the 991 turbo appears, but I'm eventually going to have to get over my loathing for PDK-type transmissions.

As far as the 7 speed MT on the 991 - the general manager of my local dealership was in South Africa for the global launch of the 991 - all the cars were PDK. He told me that there was a silver 991 that had a little cover over the console and when he looked under the cover he saw that it was a manual. Somebody from the factory told him that they were not supposed to allow drives in it. Again, just guessing but something must be up since the top dealer managers only were offered PDK to drive. If there is any issue with the MT, I have no doubt Porsche will get it right.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:13 AM
996TTFred is infamous around these parts
I looked at a R8 V10 Spyder at the dealer in Kansas City. Sticker was 183K. White on red. Great looking car, although I'll stick with my Turbo. Enjoy and let us know when you pick up your next Porsche.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:21 AM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
Kudos on your selection.. if my pockets were (considerably) deeper, I too, would likely have a R8 in the garage. Having said that, I haven't driven one, so I really don't know..

The R8 is the car of my dreams, but my 911 is my dream car.. so either way, I'm a happy guy.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:39 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alan
My logic may be flawed, but I'm really happy with my purchase. The car feels subjectively quicker than my 997.2 C2S, though not as fast as my turbo. It has huge amounts of "character" and maybe after all these years with Porsche, I needed a change. Around the track? Never would recommend it as a track car, too heavy, but on the street, it is a sublime driver and really comfortable.

Couldn't agree more with you - we are flaky car guys - and I figure my flirtation with this R8 will last until the 991 turbo appears, but I'm eventually going to have to get over my loathing for PDK-type transmissions.

As far as the 7 speed MT on the 991 - the general manager of my local dealership was in South Africa for the global launch of the 991 - all the cars were PDK. He told me that there was a silver 991 that had a little cover over the console and when he looked under the cover he saw that it was a manual. Somebody from the factory told him that they were not supposed to allow drives in it. Again, just guessing but something must be up since the top dealer managers only were offered PDK to drive. If there is any issue with the MT, I have no doubt Porsche will get it right.
Nothing wrongs with your logic. You researched and made the best decision for you with the info at hand. Just like all the buyers here you have preordered without even a test drive.

As for the track I don't see many mentions from drivers saying they can't wait to get their 991's to the track. That's allot of coin on the track to risk so soon after the initial launch.

Anyway best of luck with the new ride. We do cars and coffe at the grove in shrewsbury, maybe you can take the drive up one month when it gets warmer. Love to see the car in person some day.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:06 AM
"Sticker was 183K. White on red."

If anyone is interested, there's a white on red v10 R8 spyder manual transmission with 1070 miles on it (one previous owner) at Paul Miller Audi in Parsippany NJ. Carbon fiber everywhere. Dealer has it on the showroom floor at $152K - MSRP on it was $182K. I drove it and almost went for it, but then fell in love with the new blue pearl car.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:27 AM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Alan
"I'm 6'6" 225"

My neighbor is about your size - he tried out my car and kinda looked like one of those clowns coming out of a tiny circus car. It really was a mismatch.
It really does narrow down my choices, plus the current need for back seats.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:53 PM
btapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of light
Congratulations on your purchase. Everyone has an opinion and what makes you happy is most important.

I agree also on the pricing. I enjoyed the hell out of my modded 996 Turbo but I would NEVER pay $125K for basically a base 991. I think Porsche is getting a little out of hand with their options list. I remember when options were basically you choosing a color! I think they are getting a little corporate with their structure. There are so many better bang for the buck cars in that price range it makes you sort of wonder where they are heading. Just my $.02 and I have had a few Porsches.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:58 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by btapp
There are so many better bang for the buck cars in that price range it makes you sort of wonder where they are heading. Just my $.02 and I have had a few Porsches.
Examples? Honestly not nitpicking - I went through my own head looking for these examples too

Don't say corvette.

cheers.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:05 PM
btapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of light
Examples? Honestly not nitpicking - I went through my own head looking for these examples too

Don't say corvette.

cheers.
No I hear you! I like the discussion and I am not slinging mud either.

If it were me I would say:

R8-new/used
ZR-1 (I know you told me not to put that. Drive one though, they are sick!)
Aston-used
Gallardo-used
GT-R

It just starts to put you into that "what if I spent" territory that would make me question my purchase. I picked up my GT-R new and it is one of the best cars that I have ever owned. Smooth and fast!

Don't get me wrong, I love Porsche so don't beat me up too bad

Old 01-23-2012, 03:19 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think the R8 outperforms the 911 of the last 2 generations. I think it's pretty close. But I'm only going off Top Gear

ZR-1's are fast but whenever I sit in one I get that Enterprise Rent-a-Car "Grand AM" interior feeling. And I don't need a toupee yet

Love Astons - one of my fav (reliability?) (not quite as performance oriented as a 911)

GT-R is good example of bang for the buck. But an enthusiasts car. I saw one in Scottsdale (a white one) last week and my wife thought it was a $25k car. I almost let her out to walk back to the hotel I think they are cool.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:24 PM
I don't think the R8 outperforms the 911 of the last 2 generations. I think it's pretty close. But I'm only going off Top Gear

ZR-1's are fast but whenever I sit in one I get that Enterprise Rent-a-Car "Grand AM" interior feeling. And I don't need a toupee yet

Love Astons - one of my fav (reliability?) (not quite as performance oriented as a 911)

GT-R is good example of bang for the buck. But an enthusiasts car. I saw one in Scottsdale (a white one) last week and my wife thought it was a $25k car. I almost let her out to walk back to the hotel I think they are cool.
I just rattled off a few cars that I thought of quickly. Your other comments were funny! I actually know I look like "boy racer" in my GT-R but I love it and typically don't care what anyone thinks. I drove around an EVO and my wife absolutely hated it! It was by far one of the best cars I have ever owned, especially on the track! For 1.8L it was nasty.

Porsche to me was a car that was a middle of the road car that had a ton of exclusivity, that "I always wanted one" feeling and great road/track manners. If you wanted the $80K model you could pick that one, or if you wanted the best you could get a GT2, etc. Now they are all expensive I know I am going to be pissed when the 991 GT3 shows up, I absolutely love the 997GT3 and those things are just at home on a track.

Have a good evening, I am heading out to my playstation-mobile

Old 01-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by btapp
Have a good evening, I am heading out to my playstation-mobile
Not at all - I have much respect for the GTR. The 2013 is going to be a freak.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Not at all - I have much respect for the GTR. The 2013 is going to be a freak.
I didn't take it the wrong way, don't worry. I am not that sensitive!

I don't think that the 2013 changes are enough to warrant waiting. A good tune on a 2012 and you can run 10's in the quarter and track the car that way.

Have a good night,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Goodbye Porsche, hello R8 (long)