Goodbye Porsche, hello R8 (long)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:02 PM
ultimateporka is infamous around these parts
Looks hot!

Originally Posted by dallascajun
Thanks for the write-up...but I'll admit that this is one I won't mention to the wife. She's in love with the R8 and has told me time and again that I'm welcome to trade-in my 911 for one of those whenever I like. Thing is, I drove the V10 at the Audi R8 drive event in Dallas last year...and it was a blast. The sound of that car is intoxicating (I had a MT Sepang Coupe) and the ride was much more compliant than my GTS, especially for DDing. My biggest issue with it was that I couldn't rightfully have it as my DD given the complete lack of usability (no rear seat/storage, no place for the clubs) and the fact that we don't have a 3rd garage or the interest in buying yet another car.

I'm with you regarding the attention. My GTS gets some looks on the road, but the R8 is an attention magnet, many times when that attention isn't exactly a good thing.

Enjoy yours! I did enjoy my time behind the wheel!

Old 01-23-2012, 05:11 PM
cyclables is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Alan
...If you haven't tried a R8, now is a good time to get a test drive since some dealers have them in their inventory.
Thanks, Alan for your insight. After reading your review the R8 has now taken the spot on my refrigerator (car photo; dubbed my 'car door'...no pun intended) previously held by the 911 I intend on acquiring in the next 3 months. But alas, my budget only calls for the V8 and an older model.

Have you test driven those and if so, how is the feeling?

Old 01-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by EricP
...Love Astons - one of my fav (reliability?) (not quite as performance oriented as a 911)...
On the subject of value and alternatives:

I have loved Porsches forever, but when I last went out and bought a sports car, after looking at and test driving a variety of great cars (including 997 and R8 -- both great cars) I bought an Aston Martin V8 Vantage (4.7L). It's wonderful.

It is not quite as performance-oriented as a 911, but with the Sports Pack it's very close (mine is a Sports Pack manual 'box Coupe), and it also makes a great GT. The performance of the 4.7 V8V is virtually identical to that of a 997S -- magazine tests show 1/4 mile speeds slightly slower than some 997Ss, slightly faster than others (IMO, 1/4 mile speed is more telling than 0-60, especially when comparing a rear-engined car -- with its superb launch traction -- to a front-engined rear-drive car). Obviously, the 991 will be a bit quicker, but at this performance level, I just don't care about a few fractions of a second in a road car.

The handling, especially with the Sports Pack, is superb -- very neutral and exploitable in the way only a well-balanced (49%F/51%R) front-engined rear-drive car can be. No, I'm not saying it's better than rear-engined, just that it's great in its own right and huge fun. And the steering feel is superb (one of the things that was improved in the 4.7L cars). I know that a 997 is a little quicker around a track (and the 991 will be quicker still), but again, for a road car at this performance level, it just doesn't matter to me. How often does one have the chance to fully utilize the performance of the Aston, never mind the additional ability of an even faster car?

The paint is extraordinary, with a level of gloss and depth that is just incredible. The interior is gorgeous, with leather and stitching done in that beautiful way that only British and Italian craftsmen can do. The quality of the materials and attention to detail are at a level that you very rarely see anymore, with all sorts of things made of metal that are plastic in everything else other than, perhaps, a Rolls-Royce. Nothing is fake -- everything that looks like metal is metal. The sound is epic. After 2+ years it has been extremely reliable, and the build quality and craftsmanship are in another league.

One of the great things is that, not only is it great to drive very fast, it's also a fantastic experience to drive not very fast. It's a very different experience from owing a 911 and certainly not for everyone, but it's a great experience. IMO, with its combination of looks, performance, quality and exclusivity, at current prices the V8 Vantage is a fantastic value.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:24 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
Interesting description.
However i will stick with a car magazine comment "with 991 Porsche showed to VW Audi who's the boss..."

Old 01-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Porsche was boss when it developed the 991. It isn't anymore.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:05 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
^^ Porsche is still boss when it comes to performance.
however, Audi doesn`t focus on ultimate performance.
The R8 is quick no doubt, but Audi´s goal has always been to create cars that are sexy, sporty and comfortable, in that order.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:22 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
^^ Porsche is still boss when it comes to performance.
however, Audi doesn`t focus on ultimate performance.
The R8 is quick no doubt, but Audi´s goal has always been to create cars that are sexy, sporty and comfortable, in that order.
For the most part, I agree. My R8 is the most well-rounded street vehicle I've ever driven. The word "sporty" however diminishes the R8's handling, steering, braking capabilities, all which are part of performance (at least in my definition) and they are "Porsche level".