Goodbye Porsche, hello R8 (long)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 09:15 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Goodbye Porsche, hello R8 (long)

My C2S lease is up this year and I fully expected to order the 991 cab. But a combination of events led me to purchasing a R8 V10 spyder with manual transmission.

First, about the 991 - what I've read in a number of reviews is that the clutch is heavy, that the shifter isn't as precise as that on my 997.2, that the pedals are offset, the wheelwell is crowded for a 3 pedal car, that the shifter is positioned a little high because of the new console design and that the car was clearly designed around the PDK transmission. Not what I wanted to hear considering that I will drive a manual transmission until they are no longer available. BTW - I also don't believe some of these early reviews represent what will actually be delivered - heavy clutch? imprecise shifting? - I don't believe it - no way would Porsche do that to the 911.

Second, about the 991 - after I optioned my 991S cab, the price came to about $133K. That's alot for a 911, IMO.

Third, about the R8 - with the car being out for a few years, a refresh of the current design coming later this year and the economy still struggling, they are finally dealing on the cars that they have in inventory. I got a new '11 leftover $175K car for the low 150's. Or only about $20K more than the 991 cab would have been.

After 500 miles on the new car, it's clear that the R8 driving experience is completely different than that of my Porsches (I've owned Porsche continuously since 1970 - about 16 of them). And quite frankly, I don't know if I'm going to like it. My R8 has blue pearl metallic paint and the car attracts ridiculous amounts of attention. I had one guy in a GTI sitting on my rear fender for about a mile on the highway snapping pictures with his cell phone, while driving with one hand. I have had police cars do the same (without the cell phone camera part). In my Porsche, I was anonymous on the road - now, just the opposite. And I think I've disappointed quite a few young girls when they find out that the guy driving the rock star R8 is old enough to be their grandpa.

As far as the drive - the car is really sublime. The car's aural signature is amazing - the mechanical sounds of the V10 behind your head, combined with the exhaust sounds, make the car a thrill to listen to even at slow speeds. The steering, handling and braking is as good as I've ever experienced and the body structure strength eliminates any spyder related cowl shake over bumps. The 6 speed manual is just terrific - the gated shifter is easy to use and the clutch is perfectly weighted.

Dislikes - it's a heavy car and you can feel the weight difference over the much lighter 911. It's not annoying, doesn't really affect the street driving experience, but you definitely know that the car has heft.

So, my fellow porschephiles, so long for now - I'll probably be back "in the fold" with a 991 turbo in a few years. The next generation R8 will not be offered with manual either and so this "dinosaur" (me) will have to evolve. If you haven't tried a R8, now is a good time to get a test drive since some dealers have them in their inventory.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:37 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
thanks for the write up and all the best with the R8. Sounds like a great ride.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:45 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen goodbye.

Enjoy the R8!

Old 01-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Hippocampus is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the write up. I too toyed with the R8 idea. Biggest drawback for me was all the attention the car attracts. Thus I have a platinum silver over carrera red 991S coming in mid March. Yes this car too will attract attention, but only from car people, especially since I will get it so soon after release and nobody around here has seen one. The R8 however, is noticed by all. Drive it safely, enjoy it, and post up some pics!

Old 01-21-2012, 10:20 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Alan what a great writeup and review - can you see my smile . I hate to see the manual trannys go and hope to keep buying them until my left leg stops working and then I might even still figure out how to use my right - just to stay MT. I am in my mid thirties and fear that the cars I am buying now will have to last me a very very long time because I just can't go paddle tried it twice and just hated it.

I love your review because I am definitely going through some very similar decisions and am looking for something different with a MT has been a option, and the V10 I miss from my old M5 would be a welcome one! Congrats on the new ride and hey attention is never a bad thing give those cuties a wink for me

Last edited by uhn2000; 01-21-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:11 PM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Alan
And quite frankly, I don't know if I'm going to like it.
Great write up ... I love the R8 especially that you went with the 10 cyl and Convertible ... it is so rare to spot one on the road.

Can you just explain what you mean by the above ... I wasn't sure if you are referring to the overall car or if you are referring to the amount of attention you are getting.

Congrats and if you happen to have a picture and wouldn't mind ... can you post one ...

Old 01-21-2012, 12:16 PM
ryan_qttro is just really niceryan_qttro is just really niceryan_qttro is just really niceryan_qttro is just really nice
Good choice on the R8. If ya wanna drop some weight and add some tone the GMG exhuast sounds great and saves alot of weight

Old 01-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by af330i
Great write up ... I love the R8 especially that you went with the 10 cyl and Convertible ... it is so rare to spot one on the road.

Can you just explain what you mean by the above ... I wasn't sure if you are referring to the overall car or if you are referring to the amount of attention you are getting.

Congrats and if you happen to have a picture and wouldn't mind ... can you post one ...
I was referring to the amount of attention the car gets - just not used to it and not sure I'm comfortable with being so noticed. Everything else about the car is great, so far.

It just snowed in NJ, so I'll get a picture when I can get the car outside again. It's sepang pearl blue with silver leather interior and black convertible roof - B&O stereo, titanium colored wheels, carbon fiber inlays throughout the interior and lighted R8 stainless steel door inserts

Old 01-21-2012, 05:53 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
i love Porsche, i love Audi, esp. the looks and sound of the R8. you can`t go wrong with either of them. congrats!

Old 01-21-2012, 06:22 PM
Former Vendor
CharlesAfter is infamous around these parts
I was referring to the amount of attention the car gets - just not used to it and not sure I'm comfortable with being so noticed. Everything else about the car is great, so far.

It just snowed in NJ, so I'll get a picture when I can get the car outside again. It's sepang pearl blue with silver leather interior and black convertible roof - B&O stereo, titanium colored wheels, carbon fiber inlays throughout the interior and lighted R8 stainless steel door inserts
I love sepang, good choice. Snow? Pshh, you have quattro now!

Old 01-21-2012, 07:48 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
If you haven't tried a R8, now is a good time to get a test drive since some dealers have them in their inventory.
Thanks for the write-up...but I'll admit that this is one I won't mention to the wife. She's in love with the R8 and has told me time and again that I'm welcome to trade-in my 911 for one of those whenever I like. Thing is, I drove the V10 at the Audi R8 drive event in Dallas last year...and it was a blast. The sound of that car is intoxicating (I had a MT Sepang Coupe) and the ride was much more compliant than my GTS, especially for DDing. My biggest issue with it was that I couldn't rightfully have it as my DD given the complete lack of usability (no rear seat/storage, no place for the clubs) and the fact that we don't have a 3rd garage or the interest in buying yet another car.

I'm with you regarding the attention. My GTS gets some looks on the road, but the R8 is an attention magnet, many times when that attention isn't exactly a good thing.

Enjoy yours! I did enjoy my time behind the wheel!

Old 01-21-2012, 08:33 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
after I optioned my 991S cab, the price came to about $133K. That's alot for a 911, IMO.

Third, about the R8 - with the car being out for a few years, a refresh of the current design coming later this year and the economy still struggling, they are finally dealing on the cars that they have in inventory. I got a new '11 leftover $175K car for the low 150's. Or only about $20K more than the 991 cab would have been.
Glad you are excited about your R8 prospect - anytime you find a car that excites you thats a good thing.

I do find your logic flawed a bit though. You are disturbed that your configged 991 S Cabriolet came to $133k and that's emotionally too much for a 911? But you are about to spend $20,000 more on a car that is a hardtop, slower around the track, older, heavier, not as economical, and about to be retired in favor of a refresh?

(edit: I see you said SPYDER CAB R8 - my bad)

So someone else's review on the new 7-speed manual tranny as well as the price increase over last years cab of about $4k has got you wanting an r8? hmmm. ok I guess

If you want an R8 come out and say it. We are flaky car guys - we change our minds about stuff on a dime - we understand. I change my mind 3 times walking through a room!

Good luck - it will be a solid car for sure.

Last edited by EricP; 01-21-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:01 PM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
I got a new '11 leftover $175K car for the low 150's. Or only about $20K more than the 991 cab would have been.
Wow $25k discount, is that the market value? Does that mean a brand new v10 coupe MSRP for 158k can be bought for $138k? That would be close to a loaded 991. I would prefer the R8 at this price point.

That is a lot of car for it's price and I think you made the right choice. With a normal exhaust the R8 V10 sounds fantastic. It drives very smooth and I feel that a tempting deal. The new 991 is starting at almost 100K which has turned my attention toward the GTR and now maybe a R8 V10 since it's a lot of car for the price.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:03 PM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
Oooo, love the R8! R8 and the Maserati are my favorites for looks under $200k. The issues for me are I really need the rear jump seats and I'm 6'6" 225. The Maserati just doesn't measure up to my Turbo in terms of performance and the R8 is too small and lacks the rear space. There's always the GTR, but no manual and lacks character.... though I'm probably one of the few on here who thinks it's actually nice looking

Old 01-21-2012, 09:04 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah it's a tempting deal - But only at that $153k point. At or above $175 Aston starts coming into play and I really like Vantage in Tungsten Silver. Also used Scuds

Oh what a wicked thing - the car curse we have.

Attached Images  

Last edited by EricP; 01-21-2012 at 09:11 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Goodbye Porsche, hello R8 (long)