My observations after seeing and sitting in the 991 today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:35 AM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
My observations after seeing and sitting in the 991 today

So finally my dealer had two 991's on display today and I was able to inspect them throughly inside and out. I currently have a 997.2 so I am able to offer some insights some may find helpful.

I am 6'3 and the head room is fine. In fact, it may even be slightly more than the 997. The first thing you notice when you sit in the cabin of the 991 is that is that the materials used are better quality by FAR. One nice touch is that the front and rear pillars are all covered in Alcantara rather than in hard plastic like the 997. The seats use a leather that seems to be a higher grade than the 997 and the dash is clearly longer than the 997. In fact going back into my 997 was like going from First class back to coach. The difference is significant.

When sitting behind the wheel the fenders appear to be a sharper shape, much like a triangle with a rounded edge as opposed to the semi circle shape of the 997 fenders. The antenna for the XM radio is now located inside the cabin on the dash so we will no longer have the unsightly wart on the roof. Speaking of the roof the sunroof looks like an afterthought and reminds me of a hang nail when open. I would strongly suggest the "sunroof delete" option.

Some people complained about the footwells being cramped. That was not my experience today. I found them quite comfortable and in fact the seats were exceptionally comfortable in both sport and standard.

The cars on display today were red and yellow. The yellow was surprisingly light and not at all obnoxious. I would have never considered yellow before today ( my order is in white).

The front end of the car is visibly and significantly wider and is well put together. The doors have a solid feel when opening and closing. As a whole the car seems to be in a different class than the 997 in quality and has more a legitimate "super car" look. Of course none of us have actually driven one yet but I saw nothing today that would make me feel I made a mistake in ordering mine over two months ago.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Cevin is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the observations. About the interior - how much of the interior that you liked were options? Would you change part of your order based on what you saw?

Old 01-21-2012, 11:09 AM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
i see that you are in Miami - what dealership did you go to? i might swing by and take a look at it myself.

i got invited to a "launch party" by a dealership in Central FL but it's not till late February...hmm

Old 01-21-2012, 11:21 AM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
The alcantara and higher grade leather are standard. The cars were at champion from 9 till 1 but may be gone. I don't think the collection has any yet.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:14 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
No pics?!?!?!

Old 01-21-2012, 08:01 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Your thoughts echo the reviews I have read about the interior/exterior. Glad to see a non journalist feels the same... wanting the new 991 bad....

Jason