2 991's at Champion Motors 10-21-12

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 06:36 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by EricP
Says who? Not Porsche. And if porsche didn't say it then it's pure speculation by a desk jockey critic.

And define "luxury car market". If you think the 911 is moving towards competing with Jaguar, Lexus, Bentley? That's silly.

Just because a reviewer wrote that it has more comfortable sport seats doesn't mean it's a luxury car. Just because you don't need to have your dental work check after hitting a manhole cover in the road doesn't mean it can't corner like it's on rails.

This is now the fourth thread where people are discussing the demise of Porsche and the decline of the 911 model. I must be missing something because it's the loudest, fastest, flattest cornering, and lowest to the ground 911s ever created. Doesn't seem like a luxury car to me. I must be missing something.
Thank you. I don't get it either. Rep points

Old 01-25-2012, 08:05 AM
richard181 is infamous around these parts
Ceamics look great on the Yellow S. Impressive on a launch car.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
Just not feeling the "fastback" rear quarter panel on the new 911. The 991 caby looks good because it is missing this "Panamera" rear. Otherwise...meh. Pretty darn happy I went with 997.2

Old 01-25-2012, 10:18 AM
NYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really nice
Originally Posted by PRS 7
^
PP's site shows two actual cars for sale. Besides the wheels, the PS one would do just fine for myself.
MUST NOT GET ON TOLLWAY SOUTH.
I'm trying to show patience for once regarding a new model vehicle. Last one bit my buttocks ...
Stay clear of the moors!!!

Old 01-25-2012, 10:33 AM
NYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really nice
They are definitely looking to cast a wider net in terms of buyers and competition. If they can lure a guy off the Jag, Bentley, Aston lot, they will. They just ran year long ad campaign concerning the practicality of ownership (i.e. daily driver???). They've made the new car longer, wider and better appointed. So call it what you will but it seems to me like they're looking to straddle the sports car and grand tourer segment (frankly, I think they already had w/the 997) if not entirely focus on GT. Yeah, they'll make a GT3 w/o PDK for the "purist" but if you want their true sports car, I think that's going to be the new Cayman R w/PDK. It’s all about sales and marketing and the more people get upset about hearing their car classified as something other than a sports car or referred to in the same breath as - dare I say - a Corvette, tells me that they've really done a great job selling.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Abdon is a jewel in the roughAbdon is a jewel in the roughAbdon is a jewel in the roughAbdon is a jewel in the rough
Heck, I was upset when they went with the water-cooled engine!!!
I just think, (again, PERSONAL opinion here), that the Porsche 911 should remain a sports car...a TRUE sports car.....and I believe that it has been either modernized or "softened" too much just to fit a certain perceived niche. I thought that Porsche was headed back on track, so to speak, when they designed the 997. Now with the 991, it seems they are headed in an entirely different direction. I think it is still a formidable machine, but it seems to be cross-breeding with the likes of other "luxury sport cars" in the market. And that kind of disappoints me.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:40 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Abdon
Heck, I was upset when they went with the water-cooled engine!!!
I just think, (again, PERSONAL opinion here), that the Porsche 911 should remain a sports car...a TRUE sports car.....and I believe that it has been either modernized or "softened" too much just to fit a certain perceived niche. I thought that Porsche was headed back on track, so to speak, when they designed the 997. Now with the 991, it seems they are headed in an entirely different direction. I think it is still a formidable machine, but it seems to be cross-breeding with the likes of other "luxury sport cars" in the market. And that kind of disappoints me.
Remind me what luxury car it's been cross bread with? Oh yes the Aston tail lights.

..and how has it been softened? Oh yes the seats are more comfortable. I don't think that's softening. If anything it's been made sportier. Im 6-3. The roofline being lowered 1/2" ain't exactly making it a Bentley.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Abdon is a jewel in the roughAbdon is a jewel in the roughAbdon is a jewel in the roughAbdon is a jewel in the rough
Remind me what luxury car it's been cross bread with? Oh yes the Aston tail lights.

..and how has it been softened? Oh yes the seats are more comfortable. I don't think that's softening. If anything it's been made sportier. Im 6-3. The roofline being lowered 1/2" ain't exactly making it a Bentley.
Not just the tail lights. The lines of the car.....the fact that it's a Panamera on the inside......bigger, wider, longer, inside and out. Just for comparison's sake, have a seat in a 964, or a 993 even. TOTALLY diferent feel. Better yet, take a drive in a 930 turbo, or a 964 turbo (965). I think then you'll understand what I'm trying to express.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:51 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Abdon
Not just the tail lights. The lines of the car.....the fact that it's a Panamera on the inside......bigger, wider, longer, inside and out. Just for comparison's sake, have a seat in a 964, or a 993 even. TOTALLY diferent feel. Better yet, take a drive in a 930 turbo, or a 964 turbo (965). I think then you'll understand what I'm trying to express.
I didn't just get my first 911. I'm aware of the models throughout the generations. I think you need to get off the "interwebs" and go sit in a 991.

(besides, according to another faction of the 911 *****, a true Porsche doesn't have a turbo. They are normally aspirated- how do you win?)

Old 01-25-2012, 02:39 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
I didn't just get my first 911. I'm aware of the models throughout the generations. I think you need to get off the "interwebs" and go sit in a 991.

(besides, according to another faction of the 911 *****, a true Porsche doesn't have a turbo. They are normally aspirated- how do you win?)
You win by voicing your opinion, letting others voice theirs and moving on.

You seem to have made the defense of the 991 a personal crusade. You can do that but who really cares.

Each person buys or doesn't buy for their own reasons.

Not everyone wants the finest interior or the ability to have a computer drive a car faster then a human can. Or gizmos that straighten out corners. Others do.

Your whining that many owners are against progress and change is silly. Porsche owenrs are not against it, some just might not choose to buy it. Maybe later they will.

My advice is to chill out and let people have their say. You take this stuff way too personal.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
Your whining that many owners are against progress and change is silly. Porsche owenrs are not against it, some just might not choose to buy it. Maybe later they will.

My advice is to chill out and let people have their say. You take this stuff way too personal.
Those taking the other side are just as bad, if not worse (and there are a lot more of them). A few individuals on one of the many threads that crumbled into a PDK vs. Manual argument really came across as closed minded and ignorant.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:14 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sapster
Those taking the other side are just as bad, if not worse (and there are a lot more of them). A few individuals on one of the many threads that crumbled into a PDK vs. Manual argument really came across as closed minded and ignorant.
yes...true....just as bad...

but I am not going to count to see which side has more.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
You win by voicing your opinion, letting others voice theirs and moving on.

You seem to have made the defense of the 991 a personal crusade. You can do that but who really cares.

Your whining that many owners are against progress and change is silly.
Hehe. I find it that silly that nobody (aside from the Abdon, the OP) has driven a 991 - and nobody in these arguments has seen one in person...yet the bashing (and plenty of it -) is epidemic. Nobody has a clue.

I have hands on experience and it's a FREAK of a car. Absolutely unbelievable.

So I don't have a crusade against people having their opinion, but rather against "I saw a 2x3" photo of a 991 and read a review about it and from what I gathered it's no longer MY 911."

Formulate an education opinion after your test drive and I'll then drink a beer with you and let you vent your dislikes.

Last edited by EricP; 01-25-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:36 PM
Hehe. I find it that silly that nobody has driven a 991 - and nobody in these arguments has seen one in person...yet the bashing (and plenty of it -) is epidemic. Nobody has a clue.

I have hands on experience and it's a FREAK of a car. Absolutely unbelievable.

So yes I do have a crusade. A crusade NOT against people having their opinion, but rather against "I saw a 2x3" photo of a 991 and read a review about it and from what I gathered it's no longer MY 911."

Formulate an education opinion after your test drive and I'll then drink a beer with you and let you vent your dislikes.
Just so you know, my opinion (and it is merely an opinion) is based on limited experience based on what I have seen for myself. I DID sit in the car, for quite some time, and observed it in person for quite some time. True, I have not driven it, and for that reason I cannot say anything about it's qualities on the road. Knowing Porsche, I am sure the car is super fun and PHENOMENAL to drive. THAT BEING SAID, In my mere and most humble OPINION, the car veers away from what I believe the Porsche 911 should traditionally embody. Perhaps after I drive one, I may change my mind...I hope that's ok???? PERSONALLY, I hope that someday, Porsche will return to it's roots when it comes to the 911...and perhaps, (I can DREAM) we will see a "Singer" type 911, air-cooled, made by Porsche, in the future for us nostalgic folks. OR, I might win the lottery and buy a Singer Porsche for $300k. And while were at it, I may comission Nakai-San to build a Rauh-Welt Porsche for me. Take it easy man....we're all enthusiasts here, we all love the cars, we're all passionate about them. It's all good!!!!

Abdon

Old 01-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Ok, understood - it's all good.

Cheers