Tinkered with 991 today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 06:18 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Tinkered with 991 today

Hands on again today with a 991. Some things I noticed and my impressions.

1. A few reports say the cabin is much roomier and the dash longer. I still found the interior extremely tight and c0ckpit-like, which I strongly welcome. The dash is likely maybe a tiny fraction longer but it doesn't feel like a lincoln. You are in a true tight-quartered cabin. It's still go-kart.

2. The backseats have been reported as roomier and now slightly useable. Hmmm. Not by much if any.

3. Another vote of confidence for the new interior quality. It's way more impressive in person. Grade A. Very impressive. Very sound dead inside.

4. The things that struck me in the first few seconds were how large the wheels look, how short the overhangs are, and how GREAT the new door-mounted side view mirrors look. Very Ferrari 458 Italia!!!

5. The roof looks very "trick" when open - some folks don't like it but in person I think it's really cool. It's high tech - not "afterthought" like photos suggest.

This 991 was side by side with a 997 Turbo and while the 991 roofline is only lower by 1/2", the illusion of flat and squashed makes it appear 2-3" lower. A good look on this car.

The tail lights are obviously LED but they light up outlining the triangular shape - very cool.

Someone else mentioned this but I'd like to reiterate it. The headlamp tunnels in the front fenders that lead to the bulb enclosures used to be a convex tubular shape. It's now more of a ridge shape with a very definite hogback or peak. I took that headlamp pic below to try and show this effect.

More when I can think of it. Just a very classy car and much better in person. AND IT'S STILL A SMALL CAR! a good thing.

Attached Images     

Last edited by EricP; 01-25-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:59 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Hi Eric,

I will add to your great review because today I sat in it and had some time to actually blip the throttle etc.

1) The PSE is not necessary, the car we tried had it and its just a little too much for my taste but I can see how others would like it.
2) The interior is nicer, more polished and I actually like how they positioned the middle console because now its not hitting my shin like the current one.
3) The full leather is a good add-on but really not needed, the plastics are higher quality then the 997.
4) Its a C2S and from the front it looks wider but from the back not that much - I am so use to the aggressive stance of the C4 that looking at the C2 you start to see why the wide body kit is such a turn on!
5) The electric moon roof is incredible, really it is! I loved the extra head room in the car, almost gave it a more "airy" feeling.
6) The pricing - its more expensive even though you may be getting more car. They have 15 C2S sold so there is really no need for deals or discounts; take it or leave it attitude like the Cayenne we bought!
7) The model lineup will be intriguing I have heard rumours of a new transmission to be offered in the GT3/2 and the Turbo only in PDK.
8) The minor evolution changes make it still such a classic 911, its still hot and still a Porsche. However I hear that there is lots of buzz around the new Boxster.

The C2S is a fantastic package and really great to see what Porsche has done. However I am more excited to see what the 4/Turbo/GT/Targa models will look like and at that point will decide on what to do. My lease is over in 10 months and not sure if I will be in a 991 just yet, we will see whats available by then!

Last edited by uhn2000; 01-25-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:20 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
nice review. and it proves it´s still a 911, not a GT!

Old 01-25-2012, 10:28 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Great review Eric.
Finally how did you like the platinum silver in the flesh?

Old 01-25-2012, 10:43 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
PS was unbelievably great. Nothing champagne about it. I think the body shape helps a lot.

Stoked!!! You still a ways out? Any new news? I'm late LATE feb delivery.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:10 AM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Good!
Today I saw the launch cars for our market.
Casually they were platinum and white, both with classic wheels.
I have to admit that the platinum silver looked spectacular, I dont know why but PS suits the car perfectly, better than the white imho.
Now I am sold with platinum (again).
Since I changed my order from a base to an "S" my order is delayed for late May delivery, long wait but I am happy that I had the chance to see the car in person before my order locks.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:51 AM
NSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really nice
Great news Eric. I'm dying here, no local dealership so no first hand experience. Your review affirms my choice! Btw no news on my car since got the VIN. Dealer says not sure why he has not gotten any shipping info. Dealer having formal launch party in a couple of weeks so will plan on attending. Hopefully a dark blue metallic surfaces.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:54 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Yes PS is beautiful on the car - definitely a win. Also loved the full Espresso interior, really nice touch with the Alcantra headliner!

Old 01-26-2012, 09:30 AM
PRS 7 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SpikeP
Great news Eric. I'm dying here, no local dealership so no first hand experience. Your review affirms my choice! Btw no news on my car since got the VIN. Dealer says not sure why he has not gotten any shipping info. Dealer having formal launch party in a couple of weeks so will plan on attending. Hopefully a dark blue metallic surfaces.
FYI.
I don't know where you are but the Plano dealership here in D/FW shows a dark blue on the way.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:34 AM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
In Houston there is a black/black that arrived last week. No deals here, and if you have a 997, too bad for you, they will pay at least 20% less than retail. After all it's an "old model"[sic], so suck it up, cupcake.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:34 PM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Great review, really sounds like Porsche made all the right moves w/ the 991. I should be about ready to get out of the R8 when the 991TT or GT3 come out in a couple yrs...

Old 01-26-2012, 01:08 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by uhn2000
7) The model lineup will be intriguing I have heard rumours of a new transmission to be offered in the GT3/2 and the Turbo only in PDK.
This would be hysterically ironic.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:31 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice report Eric. What a beautiful color you have chosen for your spec. I can't wait for your car to be delivered. Very excited for you. Any disappointments when you checked it out in person.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Very nice report Eric. What a beautiful color you have chosen for your spec. I can't wait for your car to be delivered. Very excited for you. Any disappointments when you checked it out in person.
Thanks w00t. No disappointments that I noticed. Everything was really dripping with quality and improvement. Even the hood Porsche shield badge was recessed into the metal. i.e. if you popped it off with a tool it would leave a shield shaped impression in the sheet metal.

This car had Burmeister sound and it was so good I kinda wish I had gotten it. :/

Old 01-27-2012, 04:00 AM
NSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really nice
Originally Posted by PRS 7
FYI.
I don't know where you are but the Plano dealership here in D/FW shows a dark blue on the way.
Thanks for the heads up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tinkered with 991 today