Locked and Loaded: ready to pull the trigger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 02:39 PM
jdsc is infamous around these parts
Locked and Loaded: ready to pull the trigger

I have been lurking for the last year or so and almost bought a 997 twice. But, with the 991 coming out decided to wait. I'm ready to place the order and will probably do so in the next couple of days.

Here is the build:

911 S
Black Exterior
Black Full Leather interior with Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18way)
Premium package with the Adaptives
Bose
Deletion of Model Designation
Sunroof
PDCC
Sport Chrono
20 inch Carrera Classic wheels with colored center caps
Instrument Dials in Black
Smoking Package - just for the esthetics
Sport Design Steering Wheel

I have really been struggling between the Dark Blue Metallic and the basic Black exterior. Both will be high maintenance but I like the dark colors. Any thoughts on the Dark Blue with black interior?

This will be a manual transmission car and I know, no PSE. It would be nice to have but with the reviews, reports, and comments about how good the new 911 S is without it, plus the extra cost, I decided to try it without. I can always add it or another aftermarket exhaust after.

I'm open to any comments and recommendations about the build. Also, has anyone had any success using brokers to get a good price on their cars and what has been their experience. So far I have been going directly to the dealers for pricing. I'm in the SF Bay Area so any local experiences would be welcome.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:44 PM
sid_vicious is infamous around these parts
Saw a dark blue 991 at rennsport reunion, looked awsome!

Old 01-30-2012, 03:15 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
With a manual trans you could save the money and go without sport chrono, unless you are big on DEMs.
PDCC? Will you track it? Otherwise use funds for PSE.
Good build otherwise.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:30 PM
jdsc is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the input and comments.

I've seen the photos of the blue at Rennsport and it does look great. I've been looking at every Dark Blue photo I can find but I think it really comes down to seeing the car in person. Without doing that, I feel safer going with the black. And the black looks great in its own right.

As for tracking the car, occassionally. I definitely want the Sport Chrono and I think the PDCC is probably worth the extra $$$$ both from a comfort and performance standpoint. I'm a little concerned about the complexity of the system. Porsche gets rid of the hydraulic power steering so that they can improve on the fuel economy, and then offer an option like the PDCC which puts a hydraulic pump right back into the car, with hydraulic lines running to all four corners? Go figure.

I really considered PSE, but decided since it only changed the sound of the car and didn't enhance performance that I would do without. I'm thinking it can be added at a later date. If the budget was unlimited, I would definitely add it but am pushing the envelope as it is.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:40 PM
warnica is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jdsc
I have been lurking for the last year or so and almost bought a 997 twice. But, with the 991 coming out decided to wait. I'm ready to place the order and will probably do so in the next couple of days.

Here is the build:

911 S
Black Exterior
Black Full Leather interior with Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18way)
Premium package with the Adaptives
Bose
Deletion of Model Designation
Sunroof
PDCC
Sport Chrono
20 inch Carrera Classic wheels with colored center caps

Instrument Dials in Black
Smoking Package - just for the esthetics
Sport Design Steering Wheel

I have really been struggling between the Dark Blue Metallic and the basic Black exterior. Both will be high maintenance but I like the dark colors. Any thoughts on the Dark Blue with black interior?

This will be a manual transmission car and I know, no PSE. It would be nice to have but with the reviews, reports, and comments about how good the new 911 S is without it, plus the extra cost, I decided to try it without. I can always add it or another aftermarket exhaust after.

I'm open to any comments and recommendations about the build. Also, has anyone had any success using brokers to get a good price on their cars and what has been their experience. So far I have been going directly to the dealers for pricing. I'm in the SF Bay Area so any local experiences would be welcome.

Good build. I went with dark blue, and skipped the adaptive seats, as it gets annoying after a while.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:43 PM
ArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by warnica
Good build. I went with dark blue, and skipped the adaptive seats, as it gets annoying after a while.
Curious...what gets annoying about them? I did opt for the 18-way on mine.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:23 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ahumphrey
Curious...what gets annoying about them? I did opt for the 18-way on mine.
Depends if you have wide shoulders, they can push them in a bit.

Great build, I like the look of Sport Chrono and the car is loud enough without PSE (my opinion). Add the crest on the headrests, just a nice finishing touch and while you don't always notice its pretty nice and can't be done aftermarket.

The dark blue adds a nice touch of class to an already stunning car.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:33 PM
ArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by uhn2000
Depends if you have wide shoulders, they can push them in a bit.

Great build, I like the look of Sport Chrono and the car is loud enough without PSE (my opinion). Add the crest on the headrests, just a nice finishing touch and while you don't always notice its pretty nice and can't be done aftermarket.

The dark blue adds a nice touch of class to an already stunning car.
Ah, OK I can see that. I'm a little guy so that won't be an issue. When I was testing seats, the adaptive seats in the 997 felt much more 'special' to me...made an immediate impression on me when I sat down like...this is no ordinary car. I wanted that experience when I sit down in the 991.

I also selected dark blue metallic, which my wife described as 'the most elegant color' from those that were available. Also selected black interior, incidentally.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:42 PM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
I'd go dark blue in a heartbeat....I like that much better than black. I had a Midnight Blue 911 with natural brown on the inside and it was beautiful....but alas no more natural brown.

Black inside is kind of old school and is a nice look too! You don't need the PSE....the standard exhaust is wonderful unless you like it really loud.

Good Luck!!

Tom

Old 01-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Hippocampus is infamous around these parts
Congrats! I am waiting for my 991 delivery sometime in March......my first one too.......I almost bought a 997 previously also.......glad I waited.

You can't go wrong with black exterior. If it were me I would sport up the interior a little with some color........red gauges/belts/stitching?? I deleted sunroof on mine. Looks like crap IMO open.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:55 PM
tomshop is infamous around these parts
I agree with dark blue exterior. I went with dark blue exterior and agate/pebble interior. Thought it would be very special and the light pebble would be a great contrast with the dark blue.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Hippocampus is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tomshop
I agree with dark blue exterior. I went with dark blue exterior and agate/pebble interior. Thought it would be very special and the light pebble would be a great contrast with the dark blue.
Agree the best combo is a light exterior/dark interior or vice versa.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:16 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
fwiw the newer adaptive seats are larger and more comfy. Great colors - I would lean towards blue because of the metallic nature helping hide spiderweb scratches a touch.

...but black is neat too.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:15 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by EricP
fwiw the newer adaptive seats are larger and more comfy. Great colors - I would lean towards blue because of the metallic nature helping hide spiderweb scratches a touch.

...but black is neat too.
Ahh, looking forward to trying them.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:16 PM
NSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really nice
I switched from Basalt Black to Dark Blue metallic. My car is currently on a ship headed this way! Also selected black full leather interior. Will post pics when car arrives. According to ship tracking info the car makes it to Brunswick GA on 2/6...not sure when it will make it to Texas.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Locked and Loaded: ready to pull the trigger