Got private invitation to test drive 991S PDK for 4pm today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 04:25 PM
JCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to behold
a couple more photos...

Attached Images     
Old 02-03-2012, 04:33 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Great review - thanks for that. In your side-by-side photos with your GTS, you can see that Porsche really compressed the windows. Note how tall the side window glass is on the 997 series vs. the narrow slit-like side glass on the 991. (above door handles)

Old 02-03-2012, 04:37 PM
JCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to behold
Yes, it really does feel quite different inside...it was a nice feeling getting back in the GTS...it feels so purposeful. The 991 is definitely (in my opinion) much more of a GT car during normal driving. One other note I forgot to mention is that the 14-way seats are really bouncy...i was surprised...very different cushion. I am definitely ordering the 18-way adaptive seats plus. Very different to the 12-way seats I have in my 997 GTS (see photo attached).

Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2012, 05:45 PM
cfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to behold
Liked your review. As I build one up I wonder how PDCC will be on this car. I noticed you took it on some canyon roads down there, nice test drive! I notice this car didn't have Sports PASM. Do you think that would of help with what you were feeling or were you feeling definite body roll on those canyons, not just a softer ride?!

Nice call on the Euro pick-up. The only way to do it.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by cfgtts
Liked your review. As I build one up I wonder how PDCC will be on this car. I noticed you took it on some canyon roads down there, nice test drive! I notice this car didn't have Sports PASM. Do you think that would of help with what you were feeling or were you feeling definite body roll on those canyons, not just a softer ride?!

Nice call on the Euro pick-up. The only way to do it.
The car I drove had the normal comfort/sport setting on suspension and I honestly didn't find too much of a difference in firmness...I think PDCC is a must for those who drive in the twisties....

Old 02-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Inglorious
It has been a couple of crazy months. Still am busy, but I got to get my daily dousage of 6speed, right?

Oh and just to give you a taste of what I saw. At BH, they served food at a very slow pace and everyone was starving (luckily I ate before hand). Never in my life have I seen so many skinny and petite women in tight dresses wolf down cheesecake like there was no tomorrow. And people would ambush waiters who were serving little hors d’oeuvres. It was INSANELY funny. Stick thin women were angry, hungry, and a little bit drunk. Bad combo if you ask me.

My suggestion: check with your dealership about the food situation.
Just got back from my local launch event. Food was good, and I left with a full belly. About 90% guys, aged 30s to 70s, mostly in the older half of that range. Women were a compable demographic, and only one skinny one. Overall, a pretty relaxed event, almost too low key, but glad I went because of the goody bag.

Comparing the 997 and 991 side by side, they look pretty darn similar to me. A 911 guy can likely notice the difference, but most people wont. The interior of the 991 looks more upscale, and the seats are more comfortable, but it's also more of a luxury rather than sports look, so I think I might actually prefer my 997 interior (which has a really nice two-tone full leather). Tomorrow morning is the all-important test drive ...

Old 02-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
Originally Posted by Manifold
Women were a compable demographic, and only one skinny one.

Now that's the review we were all waiting for!

I'm just going to say it. Your white GTS looks MUCH better then the 991. There I said it....

Old 02-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Katera
I'm just going to say it. Your white GTS looks MUCH better then the 991. There I said it....
Funny...I feel the same way....if I get a 991 it is going to be a custom build in a cool color with a fully leather interior, with painted seatbacks (when that becomes available)...no rush!

Old 02-03-2012, 08:03 PM
outofmoney is infamous around these parts
I would like to know what you thought of the fancy stereo in that 991. Worth the $?

Old 02-03-2012, 08:07 PM
For sure! I have the Burmester in my Panamera and would never have a car without it...if you like music, it is epic. I play a lot of 5.1 DVDs (concerts) in my cars and the sound via DTS is awesome. If you just listen to XM or FM, I would skip it but even iPod sounds great (depending on your song quality).

Old 02-03-2012, 08:58 PM
96redLT4 is infamous around these parts96redLT4 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JCBH
Drove the 991 S at length today by myself...this example was equipped with full leather, sports exhaust, Burmester, etc...see attached photo of window sticker. Very nicely equipped example.
However, my drive was very eye-opening. I drove it in a spirited fashion, and this car has two personalities; one is a very casual, staid mood, that most people will find to be pleasant, and how most people will actually drive to work, etc...The next personality is when you select Sport Plus, or shift manually, and this beast comes alive. The PDK transmission is leaps ahead of the last generation, and much better than my 2011 Panamera Turbo's PDK. There is no indecision, and the blipping of the throttle during downshifts or braking is incredible. The Sports Exhaust is a must must must...it is so exciting to hear. Really a great bit of engineering.
This car did not have PDCC, and it was very quickly apparent in the twisty canyon roads I drove that it really would benefit from it. I am very used to this road, and pushed it hard. The ride seemed so much cushier than in my 2011 Carrera GTS (a pretty stiff ride), and I can see why they offer the PDCC in this car. My dealership does not have a launch car with this feature (they said they didn't order many with it since they don't think people want to pay for it) but when they do get one in, I want to drive it for sure.
Sunroof: I was going back and forth regarding convertible vs. coupe since we live in Southern California, and was so pleased with the new sunroof design (looks a lot better in person) and from inside the car, I am finding it to be perfect, and no need for the convertible. That may change before I place an order, but for now, I am happy with a coupe/sunroof.
Color: Agate Grey exterior is not my favorite and looks dead looking to my eyes. Interior was also Agate Grey, and it looked like brown/grey to me, and not my favorite. However, this interior had the full leather, which to me is the only way to get these cars (if you can swing it). The cheap-looking plastic parts are covered with leather, and the stitching everywhere is really cool. It really makes the interior elegant.
To conclude, I came away feeling like I am in no rush to replace my GTS (that I got in May, 2011) but am excited to order a 991 the way I want it, and probably will do a Zuffenhausen pickup, and drive through Europe for a week or two with the wife. I now know which features are really important to me, and it is nice to have resolution to those questions. Attached are photos of my car next to the 991 for comparison purposes. FYI, I drove up Rodeo Drive and around Beverly Hills during my time with the car, and I was surprised that not a single person even looked at the car. Could have been the color, but in my GTS, I get a ton of thumbs up and comments all the time.

Good shots comparing the back end of the 997/991
Jim

Old 02-04-2012, 04:14 AM
Nick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to behold
Thank you for the comprehensive review,
I'm headed to my local launch party tonight.