Got private invitation to test drive 991S PDK for 4pm today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 01:59 PM
DS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to behold
Got private invitation to test drive 991S PDK for 4pm today

I doubt I will be able to make it today so negotiated for one on Saturday.

Although, trying hard to get out of meetings to make it happen. Anyone else get to test drive it already in Bay Area?

Can't focus anymore.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:08 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
don't blame you..move meetings and get going...good luck..bring your checkbook

Old 02-02-2012, 03:31 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Didn't get invite to test drive. Just the launch party. Would be nice to hear anyone's driving impression.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:42 PM
JCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to behold
I drove the 991 S at BH Porsche yesterday. It was a PDK (as are all of the first batch they got) with no sport chrono (and not many features)...I want to drive the Sport Chrono version with full leather, etc...want to experience what I would be buying. The loaded version that I would want to drive was already in the showroom all polished up for tonight's 991 launch event at the dealership, but I will hopefully get to drive it shortly (if nobody buys it before then!).
Jeff

Old 02-02-2012, 05:52 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JCBH
I drove the 991 S at BH Porsche yesterday. It was a PDK (as are all of the first batch they got) with no sport chrono (and not many features)...I want to drive the Sport Chrono version with full leather, etc...want to experience what I would be buying. The loaded version that I would want to drive was already in the showroom all polished up for tonight's 991 launch event at the dealership, but I will hopefully get to drive it shortly (if nobody buys it before then!).
Jeff
Jefff:
Did you notice any engine vibrations with the non-chrono version?

ChuckJ

Old 02-02-2012, 06:23 PM
GothamHistorian is infamous around these parts
Niello porsche in sacramento emailed they have two launch cars ready for demo.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:32 PM
JCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to behold
I didn't notice it but was underwhelmed as a total package...as I mentioned, the car I drove was (to me) hideous on the inside...base interior in the ugly elephant-skin beige...and was so distracted by the reflection from the dash from the sun...I drove my 997 GTS manual transmission car to the dealership so was fresh in my mind...I think the 991 will be great when it has a tighter suspension, but the car I drove was a bit floatier feeling than what I was expecting...you can feel the wider track, for sure.
I drove for around 3 or 4 miles, and found the transmission (in only sport mode) to be a bit laggy...I was really surprised...I need to drive the car again (a different iteration, closer to what I would order) to really evaluate, but my initial feeling was disappointment.
I also have a Panamera Turbo and Cayenne Turbo and absolutely love that style interior...I sat in a dark grey full leather car, and it was awesome...much richer looking. The bland interiors always underwhelm me. A couple of things I noticed (perhaps others have mentioned it and I didn't notice those comments): with the full leather interior, you get alcantara on the A-Pillar and also the aluminum strip on the doors...with regular interior you don't get these nice touches...kind of lame. There is an indentation where the strip goes on the door, which is weird. Little things like that are interesting choices...also as others have said, the smokers package is the way to go...it is $0 but without it you get an exposed cubby that is ugly, in my opinion. Would love to hear what others think of the different trim levels. On the whole, the interior is great, and am eager to drive a more performance-oriented version than the car I drove briefly.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:07 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
JCBH - I think every dealer got a Full-Interior car and an elephant skin stripper. The one our dealership got is god-awful like you say. Bland vinyl gray - uninspiring. The leather cars are a different beast.

How bad is that Vinyl A-pillar? I didn't know this before I got to the unveiling - Why did they do this? To match the dash I assumed. I ordered full leather and i'm thanking god I made that decision. The difference between stripped and optioned can be huge.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:03 AM
I agree...just got back from the Beverly Hills Porsche launch event...four cars and 3 strippo's...the one grey/grey car that was gorgeous inside...full leather, Burmester, etc...much improved...my advice to people ordering cars is to check out the options/interior in person before deciding which option boxes to check...like you say, the difference between full leather and non is huge. Just my 2 cent.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:36 AM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JCBH
I agree...just got back from the Beverly Hills Porsche launch event...four cars and 3 strippo's...the one grey/grey car that was gorgeous inside...full leather, Burmester, etc...much improved...my advice to people ordering cars is to check out the options/interior in person before deciding which option boxes to check...like you say, the difference between full leather and non is huge. Just my 2 cent.
I went too. The event felt more like I was at the club. Kind of weird. And the food was lacking...Oh, and it was funny when a guy was revving the black one outside and everyone was looking.

I sat in the exact same gray one you were talking about. I am not an interior leather kind of guy, but I could see how others would like it. To be honest, I don't see that much of a difference between the two...at least to justify the price for me. The standard interior is just fine and meets my needs.

And you were right. BH has a white and black stripper ones that had the dumbest builds. It had PDK without sport chrono, PSE, color caps, or paddle shifters, yet they were priced over 111k with some of the most random features.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:08 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Inglorious
I went too. The event felt more like I was at the club. Kind of weird. And the food was lacking...Oh, and it was funny when a guy was revving the black one outside and everyone was looking.
I'm going to my local launch tonight, mainly just to see how they run the event, who shows up, and how everyone interacts. I too wonder if it will be weird.

Tomorrow will be the real deal: the test drive.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
I'm going to my local launch tonight, mainly just to see how they run the event, who shows up, and how everyone interacts. I too wonder if it will be weird.

Tomorrow will be the real deal: the test drive.
Hey Manifold. Long time no see.

Let me tell you...it was weird at BH...maybe because less than 5% were enthusiasts. I feel like sociologists could create an entire case study about the type of people I met.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Inglorious
Hey Manifold. Long time no see.

Let me tell you...it was weird at BH...maybe because less than 5% were enthusiasts. I feel like sociologists could create an entire case study about the type of people I met.
Good to see you back again. I figured you must have been really busy with something.

Yup, I'm basically going there with my sociologist hat on. Plus for the free food.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by Manifold
Good to see you back again. I figured you must have been really busy with something.

Yup, I'm basically going there with my sociologist hat on. Plus for the free food.
It has been a couple of crazy months. Still am busy, but I got to get my daily dousage of 6speed, right?

Oh and just to give you a taste of what I saw. At BH, they served food at a very slow pace and everyone was starving (luckily I ate before hand). Never in my life have I seen so many skinny and petite women in tight dresses wolf down cheesecake like there was no tomorrow. And people would ambush waiters who were serving little hors d’oeuvres. It was INSANELY funny. Stick thin women were angry, hungry, and a little bit drunk. Bad combo if you ask me.

My suggestion: check with your dealership about the food situation.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Drove the 991 S at length today by myself...this example was equipped with full leather, sports exhaust, Burmester, etc...see attached photo of window sticker. Very nicely equipped example.
However, my drive was very eye-opening. I drove it in a spirited fashion, and this car has two personalities; one is a very casual, staid mood, that most people will find to be pleasant, and how most people will actually drive to work, etc...The next personality is when you select Sport Plus, or shift manually, and this beast comes alive. The PDK transmission is leaps ahead of the last generation, and much better than my 2011 Panamera Turbo's PDK. There is no indecision, and the blipping of the throttle during downshifts or braking is incredible. The Sports Exhaust is a must must must...it is so exciting to hear. Really a great bit of engineering.
This car did not have PDCC, and it was very quickly apparent in the twisty canyon roads I drove that it really would benefit from it. I am very used to this road, and pushed it hard. The ride seemed so much cushier than in my 2011 Carrera GTS (a pretty stiff ride), and I can see why they offer the PDCC in this car. My dealership does not have a launch car with this feature (they said they didn't order many with it since they don't think people want to pay for it) but when they do get one in, I want to drive it for sure.
Sunroof: I was going back and forth regarding convertible vs. coupe since we live in Southern California, and was so pleased with the new sunroof design (looks a lot better in person) and from inside the car, I am finding it to be perfect, and no need for the convertible. That may change before I place an order, but for now, I am happy with a coupe/sunroof.
Color: Agate Grey exterior is not my favorite and looks dead looking to my eyes. Interior was also Agate Grey, and it looked like brown/grey to me, and not my favorite. However, this interior had the full leather, which to me is the only way to get these cars (if you can swing it). The cheap-looking plastic parts are covered with leather, and the stitching everywhere is really cool. It really makes the interior elegant.
To conclude, I came away feeling like I am in no rush to replace my GTS (that I got in May, 2011) but am excited to order a 991 the way I want it, and probably will do a Zuffenhausen pickup, and drive through Europe for a week or two with the wife. I now know which features are really important to me, and it is nice to have resolution to those questions. Attached are photos of my car next to the 991 for comparison purposes. FYI, I drove up Rodeo Drive and around Beverly Hills during my time with the car, and I was surprised that not a single person even looked at the car. Could have been the color, but in my GTS, I get a ton of thumbs up and comments all the time.

Attached Images      

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got private invitation to test drive 991S PDK for 4pm today