Drove the 991... a bit disappointed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:28 AM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
Drove the 991... a bit disappointed

I have a 991 on order and just got back from testing a 991 S PDK. First I can say the car is very tight and the road noise is all but eliminated and it feels like a more substantial car. However, comparing it back to back with the Carrera GTS PDK I drove last month I would say the GTS felt like it accelerated faster even though that may not be the case by the numbers. I just didn't feel the same kick in your pants thrust that I felt in the GTS.

My own build is a manual base car so I have no interest in comparing old vs new PDKs but truthfully I didn't notice any discernable difference. The new car is a better all around car no doubt but is it a better pure sports car than a Carrera GTS? In my opinion, no. Will I buy one anyway? You betcha!

Old 02-03-2012, 09:46 AM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
How was the ride? Did it ride softer than 997.2 S?

Old 02-03-2012, 09:48 AM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
I don't know if it was softer but it did seem to smooth out bumps in the road better. I can say I would definitely NOT order the PSE on the 991. It is very loud and annoying to my ears. The standard exhaust is perfect and actually is identical to the PSE of the 997. I will take delivery of my 991 as planned. At 44 I appreciate a smoother ride as opposed to my younger days.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:54 AM
cat1pro is infamous around these partscat1pro is infamous around these parts
I went for the pse.....iIprefer the sound of the exhaust to the sound of the phone ringing in the car!!!!!

Old 02-03-2012, 10:51 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tromero
I have a 991 on order and just got back from testing a 991 S PDK. First I can say the car is very tight and the road noise is all but eliminated and it feels like a more substantial car. However, comparing it back to back with the Carrera GTS PDK I drove last month I would say the GTS felt like it accelerated faster even though that may not be the case by the numbers. I just didn't feel the same kick in your pants thrust that I felt in the GTS.

My own build is a manual base car so I have no interest in comparing old vs new PDKs but truthfully I didn't notice any discernable difference. The new car is a better all around car no doubt but is it a better pure sports car than a Carrera GTS? In my opinion, no. Will I buy one anyway? You betcha!

Why not go and get a GTS for probable less cash? Or are the ride and upgraded luxury more important?

Old 02-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Surfer is infamous around these parts
What about steering feel? I've heard others say it feels to assisted and numb compared to before? Hope they didn't screw the pooch there.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:22 AM
The steering seemed fine. I didn't notice alot of difference to tell you the truth, but I'm no expert. A GTS, even deeply discounted, will still cost me $100k and my base 991 will come to me for $86k and I do enjoy the smoother ride and less noise as well as all the extra goodies like standard navigation , blue tooth and ipod which were all pricy options on the 997. If I don't like the 991 I will get rid of it and go to a 2010 GT3

Old 02-03-2012, 11:28 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
The steering seemed fine. I didn't notice alot of difference to tell you the truth, but I'm no expert. A GTS, even deeply discounted, will still cost me $100k and my base 991 will come to me for $86k and I do enjoy the smoother ride and less noise as well as all the extra goodies like standard navigation , blue tooth and ipod which were all pricy options on the 997. If I don't like the 991 I will get rid of it and go to a 2010 GT3

At those price points I have to agree...best of luck...we will all be anxiously awaiting your take on the base 991.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:28 AM
trunkmonkey is a jewel in the roughtrunkmonkey is a jewel in the roughtrunkmonkey is a jewel in the rough
I went to an 991 event last night. I have to say the new 911 is less and less of a sports car every generation and more of a luxury car. Maybe thats just where the market is going but the car loos and feels big. Its not the little sports car of its heritage..

Old 02-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by trunkmonkey
I went to an 991 event last night. I have to say the new 911 is less and less of a sports car every generation and more of a luxury car. Maybe thats just where the market is going but the car loos and feels big. Its not the little sports car of its heritage..
Yeah, but it certainly outperforms every previous generation 911 and performance is what the car is about.

On another note; the 991 GTS, if there is one, will be stunning.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Onetime
Yeah, but it certainly outperforms every previous generation 911 and performance is what the car is about.

I suggest it depends how someone defines performance..

0-60 numbers, lap times, feedback to the driver, thrill of driving?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:06 PM
cat1pro is infamous around these partscat1pro is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by trunkmonkey

you try sitting in the back seat and tell me it's not that little sports car!

Old 02-03-2012, 01:13 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Onetime

On another note; the 991 GTS, if there is one, will be stunning.
Probably, but why would Porsche produce one now? It would only cannibalize "S" sales. The only reason Porsche introduced the 997 GTS was it was the last of the run. Same goes for the turbo S. By the time a 991 GTS comes around, the 99x will be around the corner.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:25 PM
ksdprasad is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cat1pro
..iIprefer the sound of the exhaust to the sound of the phone ringing in the car!!!!!
Ditto ++++

Old 02-03-2012, 01:48 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !

I felt the same thing you did with regard to acceleration. I have a 2009 C2S and mine makes more fuss than the 991 when accelerating, but since it weighs more and is 15HP less it must just be that it comes from all that extraneous noise.

ChuckJ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drove the 991... a bit disappointed