Jealousy over 911?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:41 AM
cayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant future
Jealousy over 911?

After buying a 911, do you gain friends or lose them?

Well, I will order mine later this year, and I plan not to let anyone drive it....

Will people (friends, relatives, neighbors) hate me?

Old 02-08-2012, 07:47 AM
cat1pro is infamous around these partscat1pro is infamous around these parts
Your real friends will be happy for you. The rest will hate you more because you have a bad a$$ ride.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:17 AM
sameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cayenne958

Well, I will order mine later this year, and I plan not to let anyone drive it....

Totally depends on person to person. You have to learn to say no. Before i was a 911 owner, nobody would even let me look at their 911, Leave alone touching or even driving it. Neither would i ever ask to do so though.
- You have to say no to others driving your car. Some may respect it and some may not like your refusal.
Some tricks that work for me. -
  • 1. ask them; Do you drive a stick and they usually say no. Case closed. If they say yes, then you take advantage of peoples' ignorance and lack of knowledge and tell them that these high precision cars require shifting in a very precise manner and can break if misused.
  • with a big smile - say that she is your baby and as a rule do not let anyone drive it. There is no shame in telling that you do not have the heart to let anyone else drive your porsche
  • One guy just wanted to drive my porsche and i was in a situation where it was hard for me to say no. He said that he was looking at a panamera. Two different worlds. I knew he was just trying to kick some tires for his own pleasure. I had him sit with me and actually drove him to the porsche dealer to have him test drive a panamera. I am always game to go to the dealer to look at the eye candy I actually was kinda rude to that person because i did not wish to remain acquainted with him anymore.

You will definitely make more friends -

• There are alot of people in the world who favor envy over jealousy. These people will talk to you about the car and try and learn about it. Some will simply appreciate it and tell you, " Nice Car". Learn to take compliments and say thanks. Sometimes, you may want to offer to take them for a ride also. They will definitely appreciate it. You can definitely not act like Allen from the Hangover, "Don't touch it; Don't even look at it"
  • I Have made alot of friends just because of the 911.

If someone - Friends, relatives etc. want to hate you because of the induced jealousy from the 911; They are probably not worth dealing with anymore.

Lastly, life is too short worry about petty things like that. When you want a 911, you want a 911. Go out and get it and enjoy life like never before.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 AM
k-man is infamous around these parts
i let several of my friends test drive my car--with me in it. btw, they know how to drive this type of car...watching their expression when they get behind the wheel (with pse and sport plus on) has been the most fun of all. in fact, my mechanic who works mostly on ferraris , lambos and porsche's was blown away by his drive. he said there's nothing even close performance-wise for the $$ and it's the only car in the class that can be a dd.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:12 AM
SilverPDK is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cayenne958

I have to say that no one seems to care. I just drive mine on the weekends anyway. I have had a few neighbors ask me about it and my friends enjoy driving it when I let them. But other than that, it's business as usual.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:15 AM
cayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant future
Great advice sameerg!! I really appreciate it!

One of my neighbor has a 911, and actually he started talking with me after I got the Cayenne.... before that, he said hi and then disappeared...

Yet, one of the other neighbor is not even saying hi to me after the Cayenne.... Used to be very friendly... (I think it's the car...)

Yes, life is too short, and I will get a 911 soon regardless of how people around me would react! Hopefully I will gain some good friends as an added bonus!

Old 02-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by k-man
i let several of my friends test drive my car--with me in it. btw, they know how to drive this type of car...watching their expression when they get behind the wheel (with pse and sport plus on) has been the most fun of all. in fact, my mechanic who works mostly on ferraris , lambos and porsche's was blown away by his drive. he said there's nothing even close performance-wise for the $$ and it's the only car in the class that can be a dd.
Well, if the friend has similar car, then that's a different story... and I too was blown away by how 911 drives.... I cannot forget it & want more everyday!!!

Old 02-08-2012, 09:58 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
On a related topic, every Tom Dick and Harry will want to have a go at it when the light turns green.

I used to drive a piece of **** car and try to race 911s etc... Now I understand why the 911s almost never took the bait

And I also understand why every 911 I saw before getting one seemed to top out at 75 on the highway (tire noise [although the 991 is a huge improvement apparently]).

These are tools to enjoy the art of driving, not zippy slush box commuter cars.

As for the jealousy issue, my 2 cents is embrace the brand. Join the PCA if you haven't already and try a track day. I often go for a drive on a weekend in Alpine Stars driving shoes with my key on a motorsport lanyard around my neck. More people understand love for a car than for a status symbol

Good luck
DRP

Old 02-08-2012, 10:02 AM
lilindienplaya is infamous around these parts
you may lose some jealous friends, but real friends will be happy for you. Most people know better then to ask someone to drive their expensive cars, but there's always "that person" lol. On another note you're bound to make a few lady friends, usually ones that want to take a ride in your car.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:10 AM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
All my friends that I know of were happy when I got the 997tt. All who had any kind of manual tranny sports car expirience (read that to mean ALL of them) and a few coworkers got to drive it. Nobody broke it, nobody abused it, all came away very impressed. It's just a car.... even if it's a very nice one

Old 02-08-2012, 12:12 PM
No.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really nice
I think this is one of the reasons why my wife and I after buying the CTT last year did not tell anyone about the car. None of our family members, who are in a different country, know about it. Only a few select people know about the car because they inadvertently saw it. It's not that we're ashamed of the car, but I guess it's the jealousy or the judgment of why we spent so much on a car. Plus, I think our personalities are less flagrant so we aren't trying to showcase it everywhere we drive. We bought it because of the brand, the luxury, and most importantly the performance.

I do agree with previous posters. If people stop talking to you because you bought this car or treat you differently, then they really aren't true friends. Purchasing this type of car is really saying that you've worked hard and you've gotten to this point in life where you've earned it. I'd say, just keep it low key and if someone sees it, just be nonchalant about it.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 PM
sameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to behold
And i could not care less about other people or what they think about my financial or social status.

As a child i was obsessed with the cars in posters on my bedroom walls. One of them was a 911 and the other was Ferrari 348 or 358 or something.

Since then, i wanted one of them because they looked fantastic. Little did i know then, that i would appreciate performance and handling also.

Having said that, with my cars or any of my possessions, i am not trying to show anyone that i made money (which i probably have not), i was able to buy one, that's it. Neither am i trying to show anyone that i worked hard nor making any such social statements.

All i did was make my childhood poster come alive

It is just a shame that a large population in the world thinks otherwise.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:41 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !

... and you know what? F** them!

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 02-08-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:59 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sameerg
And i could not care less about other people or what they think about my financial or social status.

As a child i was obsessed with the cars in posters on my bedroom walls. One of them was a 911 and the other was Ferrari 348 or 358 or something.

Since then, i wanted one of them because they looked fantastic. Little did i know then, that i would appreciate performance and handling also.

Having said that, with my cars or any of my possessions, i am not trying to show anyone that i made money (which i probably have not), i was able to buy one, that's it. Neither am i trying to show anyone that i worked hard nor making any such social statements.

All i did was make my childhood poster come alive

It is just a shame that a large population in the world thinks otherwise.

Haha I had that one too.

"Justification for Higher Education"

I think it had a Rolls, 911T, M-B SL, countach, Testarossa and lotus Esprit Turbo4

Old 02-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by ttpopo
Haha I had that one too.

"Justification for Higher Education"

I think it had a Rolls, 911T, M-B SL, countach, Testarossa and lotus Esprit Turbo4
You got those cars right from the Justification poster.
But I am a guy who grew up in India and lived there for 25 years of my life.
The posters we got were from roadside vendors and in the early 80s, those posters were merely posters of cool looking cars, no one had any idea what those cars were. LOL.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Jealousy over 911?