991 Carrera S Pics, Video, Review (Agate)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:08 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
991 Carrera S Pics, Video, Review (Agate)

Hi All,

Lucky enough to spend some quality time with Carrera S yesterday. Got some great video of my friend driving and some excellent sounds of the new car. I also got a chance to drive it after he finished talking a bit about it. I guess I can sum it all up by saying that the 997 is unapologetic and the 991 is welcoming. Things that stuck out at me:

Steering: It’s easier and with the power assist almost feels like a GT car scooting and turning when going slow. Once the car speeds up you get that super Porsche feeling back – I would stick with the standard if you like to feel every divot in the road. It almost, dare I say, felt ///M like for a while and freaked me out. Sports Seats: Were more comfortable with better cushion, also the side bolsters were a tad wider but in all honesty I would still go with comfort seats, I am 6’3 210 so not a huge guy but I missed mine. Agate Colour: This is a special new colour for both the exterior and interior. Absolutely stunning! If you are not sure about what to get consider this. The 20s: The 20s give the car super presence, yes it looks bigger, sleeker, and wider; it’s not huge but has more road presence. Classic ones are nice, really really nice! People were looking at the car as it was parked, never seen a Porsche get so much attention in downtown Toronto. The Sunroof: I love the extra headroom, you feel it, but the roof needs to open more, it’s a cool design concept but there just needs to be that extra space. The Alacantra lining is so sweet. The Interior: Much more plush and Panameraish its nice, I guess. It felt more comfortable and polished but loses some of its edgy sporty ways. Switches: Switches and buttons have a much more “rich” feel so that is definitely a step in the right direction. The rear seats: there is more space back there, not sure how much but its bigger. There is also room to throw your clubs back and store some serious sized items, great stuff Porsche. Sound: Definitely louder and more refined (watch the video), less road nose. Inside you hear more by a touch, if you want the snap crack pop I still suggest PSE. Handling: It was pretty impressive even without PDCC (video), the car is lower so it hugs better. Honestly I would not go for PDCC the way I drive, this one felt great. Sports Suspension (PASM): Get this, the car is just too plush with it off and I have a feeling that you will be craving for more road feel, this is needed. Sport Chrono: I loved this way more than the one in our Cayenne, atleast it’s a clock now as well. Really love the integration, super nice! PTV: The car had it and I think it was sufficient to really give it enough handling for legal limits of North American roads. PDK: Pretty cool I guess, I am not a big flappy paddle guy and its like a new toy, cool at 1st but I still want to row my gears. I feel like you miss a special connection with the car when you are not shifting. I would however say that its super duper fast and the downshifts are incredible. If this is what you are looking for then it will not disappoint!

My lease is over in 8 months so I am in a bit of a pickle figuring out what to do – I really want a new Targa 4S to drive in the winter and while I loved driving the 2WD I feel that as a DD it would make more sense for me (snow). Also I not a big Cab guy so hopefully the timing works out or I may have to extend my lease a bit and figure it out from there. Enjoy and chat soon..

Joe

Attached Images      

Last edited by uhn2000; 02-10-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:03 AM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Great great video. I watched the whole thing, and my favorite part is when your buddy opened up the engine. The exhaust is absolutely intoxicating and even put a smile on my face!

Did you so happen to get your friend to film you driving?

Old 02-10-2012, 06:04 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Inglorious
Great great video. I watched the whole thing, and my favorite part is when your buddy opened up the engine. The exhaust is absolutely intoxicating and even put a smile on my face!

Did you so happen to get your friend to film you driving?
Really glad you liked it, he was great at ripping it time and time again - sounds even better in person. Unfortunately my part would have been boring, I could barely figure out the PDK and kept hitting down when I wanted up etc. Am seeing him again in the near future with his 7MT, will see what I can arrange.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:29 AM
eagleeye is just really niceeagleeye is just really niceeagleeye is just really niceeagleeye is just really nice
Oh that sound.........such a sudden change in character of the car is almost startling/scary, in the most fantastic way........thanks for sharing. Agate looks very dull to me though. Seems like you really liked it though. Looking forward to seeing agate in person to judge for myself.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by uhn2000
Really glad you liked it, he was great at ripping it time and time again - sounds even better in person. Unfortunately my part would have been boring, I could barely figure out the PDK and kept hitting down when I wanted up etc. Am seeing him again in the near future with his 7MT, will see what I can arrange.
When I test drove the 991, I had buttons too and kept bouncing off the rev limiter. Oops .

Old 02-10-2012, 10:37 AM
outofmoney is infamous around these parts
There are lots of different greys for interior. Platinum, Agate, and pebble grey.
I would love to see platinum and agate side by side in person. They both seem dark.

cheers

Old 02-10-2012, 10:46 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Enjoyed it very much my friend, thank you. You have some decisions to make when your lease ends. Uhn, you really need to change your avatar. It feels like your beautiful Targa4S is in the shop all the time

Old 02-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Inglorious
When I test drove the 991, I had buttons too and kept bouncing off the rev limiter. Oops .
Hehe... it was fun nontheless!

Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Enjoyed it very much my friend, thank you. You have some decisions to make when your lease ends. Uhn, you really need to change your avatar. It feels like your beautiful Targa4S is in the shop all the time
Hahaha.. I took some nice pics on the weekend will make sure to change it up for you !!

Old 02-10-2012, 11:28 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
So going 80 mph on a bend the passenger couldn't believe that the car didn't have pdcc! How much flatter would pdcc make it? This suggests that though pdcc is an excellent option it is in fact not required in the 991 and hence the money spent on it is not well spent. Could be saved or used on other options.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:53 AM
SpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant future
Great video and photos! I am still not convinced of the PDK (though I have not driven a 991 yet). I did drive a Boxster S (987) PDK (loaner car from the dealership) last week and was not really happy with it. My opinion is that if you are going to get the PDK, the paddles for shifting are critical as those buttons on the steering are really bad and counterintuitive.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by aamersa
So going 80 mph on a bend the passenger couldn't believe that the car didn't have pdcc! How much flatter would pdcc make it? This suggests that though pdcc is an excellent option it is in fact not required in the 991 and hence the money spent on it is not well spent. Could be saved or used on other options.
Dunno really, I can't imagine it being any flatter but the driver said it would be mind boggling. I find a bit of lean always nice and really gets the car speaking to you. I am not a crazy driver so PDCC is not needed for the 991, its great for the Cayenne we have but just not sold on it for the 911.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by eagleeye
Oh that sound.........such a sudden change in character of the car is almost startling/scary, in the most fantastic way........thanks for sharing. Agate looks very dull to me though. Seems like you really liked it though. Looking forward to seeing agate in person to judge for myself.
Its really nice in person, I thought the same thing until I saw it in person.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by outofmoney
There are lots of different greys for interior. Platinum, Agate, and pebble grey.
I would love to see platinum and agate side by side in person. They both seem dark.

cheers
Platinum is much lighter and flatter while the Agate is just super rich and has a nice brown touch to it in certain light making you think its expresso!

Old 02-10-2012, 02:30 PM
GAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SpeeddemonC2
Great video and photos! I am still not convinced of the PDK (though I have not driven a 991 yet). I did drive a Boxster S (987) PDK (loaner car from the dealership) last week and was not really happy with it. My opinion is that if you are going to get the PDK, the paddles for shifting are critical as those buttons on the steering are really bad and counterintuitive.
The buttons are indeed counter intuitive and drive me nuts. Go with the paddles FOR SURE if you're going the PDK route.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 Carrera S Pics, Video, Review (Agate)