991 - Hurley Haywood prefers PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 06:24 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
991 - Hurley Haywood prefers PDK

(01:57)

Old 02-10-2012, 06:45 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Interesting...I guess he won't be such a stickler for proper heel-toe at the PSDS from now on.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:00 PM
eagleeye is just really niceeagleeye is just really niceeagleeye is just really niceeagleeye is just really nice
That cab was beautiful. Love the sport techno wheels painted white.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:39 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
Interesting...I guess he won't be such a stickler for proper heel-toe at the PSDS from now on.
yeah, it´s kind of shocking, cause the manual is the definition of old school and Haywood is the definition of old school too, but he still chooses the PDK...

Old 02-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
yeah, it´s kind of shocking, cause the manual is the definition of old school and Haywood is the definition of old school too, but he still chooses the PDK...
If he's on Porsche's payroll, maybe he was 'strongly encouraged' to say that? Seems to me that Porsche wants to get away from its 'old school' image and create a car that competes more directly with more expensive rivals, such as the R8, Aston Martin, Maserati, Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren, etc. Their heart just may not be in MT anymore.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:10 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
Ok I am just playing around here so don't fry me... I know he can out drive me with his eyes closed. But at his age I think I would also prefer PDK LOL.. just a light joke.. hopefully people here know where I am coming from ..

Old 02-11-2012, 05:11 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Manifold
If he's on Porsche's payroll, maybe he was 'strongly encouraged' to say that? Seems to me that Porsche wants to get away from its 'old school' image and create a car that competes more directly with more expensive rivals, such as the R8, Aston Martin, Maserati, Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren, etc. Their heart just may not be in MT anymore.
I think if their heart was not into it they would have done what BMW has with their ///M product and just slotted in an older 6MT instead of develop a brand new 7MT.. Porsche is incredible in every respect. Everything they do, its done properly and full of heart and passion! Kind of like me ..

Old 02-11-2012, 07:47 PM
930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future
I have one and live the Pdk ..not saying its the end all tranny.. But hell I has it a VIR today! WhAt a freaking blast!!!

Old 02-11-2012, 09:09 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by uhn2000
I think if their heart was not into it they would have done what BMW has with their ///M product and just slotted in an older 6MT instead of develop a brand new 7MT.. Porsche is incredible in every respect. Everything they do, its done properly and full of heart and passion! Kind of like me ..
Very well put. So obvious when you state it that way. Obviously also the 7mt and 7pdk share more bits in common then the previous generation mt/PDK but they still developed a new 7mt.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PT Doc
Very well put. So obvious when you state it that way. Obviously also the 7mt and 7pdk share more bits in common then the previous generation mt/PDK but they still developed a new 7mt.
Their delay in putting the MT out after the PDK was my main reason for thinking they may be favoring PDK. Plus, now we're seeing cars like the 458 not offered with MT. But I hope you guys are right that Porsche will be offering MT for a long time.

Last edited by Manifold; 02-11-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:13 AM
Originally Posted by Manifold

i thought of that (payroll), but i really don`t think Hurley wouldn`t speak his mind if he thinks otherwise, i mean Porsche has been investing fresh money into the new 7-speed and i guess they are interested to sell a lot of them as well.

Porsche cannot rely on old school only, i think we all agree on that, but they are THE brand that doesn`t forget about its past and his old school loyalists. in fact they are celebrating their heritage and traditions like no other!

Old 02-12-2012, 06:27 AM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
I think he likes PDK because on the track he will have faster lap times than a MT. But for driving pleasure he might like how the 7 speed MT works. If he is at the April session at PSDS that I am fortunate to be going to I will ask him. Of course he can afford to drive all sorts of trannys whenever he wants.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:39 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PT Doc
The fact that the 7mt and 7pdk have so much in common is probably one of the reason why they went for a new 7mt which may eventually be cheaper than tweaking the existing mt to fit it in the 991. It should also help suppliers to leverage higher volume of the same parts to lower the total cost of (7pdk+7mt). I imagine that it also helps the official highway mpg number. Finally, in a lot of people's mind, "7 is better than 6"

I have been a manual transmission guy for the last 24 years, but I made the move to PDK with the 991 and do not regret it -ok, after a few days only-. It is less involving than a manual but is is so quick and still allows such a good instant manual control of gear switching that there is no way I would beat it with a 7mt. The thing I really miss the most... is as good old e-brake