SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:58 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Follow up on FVD valved X-pipe

I have had the FVD valved X-pipe in place for a few days. It sounds amazing in loud mode (much deeper sound at low rpm, F1-like at high rpm). My concern is that after break in, even the 'quiet' mode is still fairly loud.

In brief:
-quiet mode = a bit louder than PSE (after a few days break in. Seemed much more quiet right after the install)
-loud mode = WOW!

The fact of the matter is that the quiet mode is still too loud for me. I am using the car as a daily driver and like to 'cruise' on 500 miles trips.
I'll probably end up selling the X-pipe. You can always PM me if you are interested.
Huh strange! My Cargraphics x pipe (looks very similar except for 2 resonators) is about PSE - like when the valves are closed. It is very loud open, but closed, it sounds like a stock exhaust.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...cs-x-pipe.html

Might be worth a look if you like the loud...

Old 08-05-2013, 03:22 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kitw
Huh strange! My Cargraphics x pipe (looks very similar except for 2 resonators) is about PSE - like when the valves are closed. It is very loud open, but closed, it sounds like a stock exhaust.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...cs-x-pipe.html

Might be worth a look if you like the loud...
Yes, very similar to what I have installed. The resonators may help to keep the sound level down at certain rpm's a bit more...

Old 08-05-2013, 03:26 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
Yes, very similar to what I have installed. The resonators may help to keep the sound level down at certain rpm's a bit more...
There is also this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARGRAPHIC-s...0ded51&vxp=mtr

Might be a good alternative! It looks very similar to PSE, except with a straighter internal design.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:10 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Oooops, and here goes my PCA sticker.

I gave it a fair try, but I am not renewing my PCA membership until there is some fresh new blood in my chapter. There is a strong smell of naphthalene for now. Members are for sure mostly well intended but there is a whole feeling of 'seriousness' and pomposity that I do not see in other clubs. I am also a member of BMW CCA and have a lot more fun with them.
A good example is to compare 'Roundel' to 'Panorama': which one of the two looks like a magazine from the communist era printed on recycled paper??

Understand me well, I am not bashing here, but I would like my favorite car brand to have a club that is as dynamic and classy as its cars. PCA does not seem to realize that there is a whole range of enthusiasts who do not want to join them (mostly guys in their thirties, forties, fifties...). Or maybe they do not care...

Attached Images  

Last edited by SM_ATL; 08-06-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:20 PM
And while I am ranting tonight, I wanted to share something about the other end of the spectrum where bling and vulgarity are not serving the image of the brand either.

[/url]

To each his own, but I would personally leave these Lexani wheels to a local rapper to mount them on his white Bentley

Attached Images  
Old 08-06-2013, 03:49 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
And while I am ranting tonight, I wanted to share something about the other end of the spectrum where bling and vulgarity are not serving the image of the brand either.

[/url]

To each his own, but I would personally leave these Lexani wheels to a local rapper to mount them on his white Bentley

Old 08-06-2013, 05:18 AM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
Must be the latest Caffeine and Octane. I stopped going to that once the gathering became "Butlerized". I used to enjoy seeing all the classic/muscle/exotic cars, but now all you see is that kind of crap along with the Mopar and Fast and Furious crowd.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:23 AM
To elaborate on my post and mtony's comment, the local scenery is very much 'new money'... and making sure people see it. Here are a couple of prime examples (...sick bags are available in the pocket at the back of the seat in front of you):

and my all time favorite:

I will not blame Butler Tires though: Geordie does an amazing job at the Alpharetta location and I always got excellent and quick service, professional installation and competitive prices (so yes, they also work on nice German cars ).

The truth of the matter is that people sell what the market demands and that "the Mopar and Fast and Furious crowd" (not those who are passionate about their engine, but the guys who spend their time adding pink LED's and blue neon lights on their cars) is probably a significant part of the population.
Caffeine and Octane is becoming so crowded that it is now chaotic and out of control. Back to a year or two ago, you would find Porsche's hanging together, a row of M3's, fast Audi's, GTR's, Muscle cars, etc. and it was a lot more enjoyable and 'cleaner' event.

Caffeine & Octane has to find a bigger location (people who want to show off are now bringing their cars at 6AM... or the night before ) and divide the venue in different area's (German's, Japanese, Classics, Muscles...Cops ). I would for sure still enjoy spending time in all the different area's.

One last thing: find car friendly cops! I never do burnouts but just revved up the engine near the exit as kids were asking for it and a cop gave me a look like he was going to grab his gun and shoot me A taser would suffice

Attached Images    
Old 08-06-2013, 07:55 AM
ae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to behold

[/url]

That is the opposite of "eye candy" IMO

Old 08-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
Serge, too bad about the FVD x-pipe, I'm still running mine and actually added the side free flow sharkwerks exhaust as well. So I have two exhaust settings now - loud and very loud. But it is not my daily driver though. I'm aware that it is somewhat borderline obnoxious to have no mufflers at all.... but it makes the kids smile.

Totally agree with you on the whole PCA thing. I went to one gathering and left after 10 minutes, I couldn't deal with the folks with their Porsche hats, shirts, and fanny packs. They enjoy it - good for them, but it wasn't for me. I wish there would be a 'R Gruppe' chapter around here.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:37 AM
MeFryRice is infamous around these parts
I saw your car as you were looking for a parking spot this past Sunday at C&O. Looks good.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:15 AM
jnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to all
To elaborate on my post and mtony's comment, the local scenery is very much 'new money'... and making sure people see it. Here are a couple of prime examples (...sick bags are available in the pocket at the back of the seat in front of you):

and my all time favorite:

I will not blame Butler Tires though: Geordie does an amazing job at the Alpharetta location and I always got excellent and quick service, professional installation and competitive prices (so yes, they also work on nice German cars ).

The truth of the matter is that people sell what the market demands and that "the Mopar and Fast and Furious crowd" (not those who are passionate about their engine, but the guys who spend their time adding pink LED's and blue neon lights on their cars) is probably a significant part of the population.
Caffeine and Octane is becoming so crowded that it is now chaotic and out of control. Back to a year or two ago, you would find Porsche's hanging together, a row of M3's, fast Audi's, GTR's, Muscle cars, etc. and it was a lot more enjoyable and 'cleaner' event.

Caffeine & Octane has to find a bigger location (people who want to show off are now bringing their cars at 6AM... or the night before ) and divide the venue in different area's (German's, Japanese, Classics, Muscles...Cops ). I would for sure still enjoy spending time in all the different area's.

One last thing: find car friendly cops! I never do burnouts but just revved up the engine near the exit as kids were asking for it and a cop gave me a look like he was going to grab his gun and shoot me A taser would suffice
Re: the Mulsanne in the picture above. Somebody just has no idea what the Bentley brand represents. Reading the brand history, even 10 minutes of it, would presumably stop such an abomination. It's as wrong as depicting Jackie O in six inch high plexiglas heels (the kind you might see at Cheetah 3...) Shameful.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:23 AM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
Here's someone leaving one of the former C&O locations. Probably why the cops frown upon people revving their engines as they leave the show.

Last edited by mtony; 08-06-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:30 AM
MeFryRice is infamous around these parts
The owner of that now totalled TT-Gallardo has replaced that car with an Aventador. He also owns the yellow C6Z-TT that was following him.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by mtony
Here's someone leaving one of the former C&O locations. Probably why the cops frown upon people revving their engines as they leave the show.
You make a good point. There are -unfortunately- a couple of other examples on Youtube.

Big HP does not mean high IQ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal