SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Tom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really nice
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Follow up on FVD valved X-pipe

I have had the FVD valved X-pipe in place for a few days. It sounds amazing in loud mode (much deeper sound at low rpm, F1-like at high rpm). My concern is that after break in, even the 'quiet' mode is still fairly loud.

In brief:
-quiet mode = a bit louder than PSE (after a few days break in. Seemed much more quiet right after the install)
-loud mode = WOW!

Wow, it sounds amazing on track! Any feel if it makes a difference in power and laptimes?

Old 08-10-2013, 04:36 PM
advantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to behold
Sorry to hear bout the Xpipe being too loud. I have the FVD sport exhaust which I LUV and feel isn't too loud at all, I do a lot of 300miles road trips and in normal mode on hwy it doesn't bother me at all.

Follow up on FVD valved X-pipe

I have had the FVD valved X-pipe in place for a few days. It sounds amazing in loud mode (much deeper sound at low rpm, F1-like at high rpm). My concern is that after break in, even the 'quiet' mode is still fairly loud.

In brief:
-quiet mode = a bit louder than PSE (after a few days break in. Seemed much more quiet right after the install)
-loud mode = WOW!

Here is a short videoclip with the exhaust in loud mode between 12 and 1 on Road Atlanta:

http://youtu.be/NgaI5p87hug

The fact of the matter is that the quiet mode is still too loud for me. I am using the car as a daily driver and like to 'cruise' on 500 miles trips.
I'll probably end up selling the X-pipe. You can always PM me if you are interested.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:38 PM
advantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to behold
Yuck

And while I am ranting tonight, I wanted to share something about the other end of the spectrum where bling and vulgarity are not serving the image of the brand either.

[/url]

To each his own, but I would personally leave these Lexani wheels to a local rapper to mount them on his white Bentley

Old 08-10-2013, 09:31 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Oooops, and here goes my PCA sticker.

I gave it a fair try, but I am not renewing my PCA membership until there is some fresh new blood in my chapter. There is a strong smell of naphthalene for now. Members are for sure mostly well intended but there is a whole feeling of 'seriousness' and pomposity that I do not see in other clubs. I am also a member of BMW CCA and have a lot more fun with them.
A good example is to compare 'Roundel' to 'Panorama': which one of the two looks like a magazine from the communist era printed on recycled paper??

Understand me well, I am not bashing here, but I would like my favorite car brand to have a club that is as dynamic and classy as its cars. PCA does not seem to realize that there is a whole range of enthusiasts who do not want to join them (mostly guys in their thirties, forties, fifties...). Or maybe they do not care...
Minivans, PCA and neighbors with more money than taste - you have had a week. I am particularly disturbed to hear about your PCA problem. I have been surprised how down-to-earth and nice the people in our local (NNJR) PCA chapter is. I was expecting all attitude and money. I am sure that there is the latter, but little of the former. Perhaps there is another local chapter that you can join? I would also send your comments on the mag. to the club office in Md. I wonder why there is such a discrepancy? BMW sells so many more cars and is a bigger, more sophisticated brand - I wonder if that just translates into a more insular club and more colloquial organization?

Anyway, here is wishing you, and us all, a better next week!

Old 08-11-2013, 07:12 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mtony
Here's someone leaving one of the former C&O locations. Probably why the cops frown upon people revving their engines as they leave the show.
LAMBORGHINI GALLARDO CRASH CAUGHT ON TAPE! (1300HP Twin Turbo) - YouTube
This is Corvette's problem: unusable torque to the rear wheels.

ChuckJ

Old 08-12-2013, 08:18 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MeFryRice
I saw your car as you were looking for a parking spot this past Sunday at C&O. Looks good.
Thanks! Next time do not hesitate to stop by, it is always nice to put a face on a 6speeder nickname

Old 08-12-2013, 08:22 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tom 991s
Wow, it sounds amazing on track! Any feel if it makes a difference in power and laptimes?
Yes, thanks, I got a ton of positive feedback that day about the sound of the FVD exhaust. I can not say that you really feel a strong difference in power, but the Fabspeed headers + FVD exhaust made the throttle more responsive and I had the impression that the car revv'd up more easily from mid rpm's to the redline.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Tom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really nice
Yes, thanks, I got a ton of positive feedback that day about the sound of the FVD exhaust. I can not say that you really feel a strong difference in power, but the Fabspeed headers + FVD exhaust made the throttle more responsive and I had the impression that the car revv'd up more easily from mid rpm's to the redline.
Very helpful ... now I have to figure out what to do...Fabspeed headers for sure; after that, seems hard to improve on PSE and still be streetable....

Old 08-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by AG991
Minivans, PCA and neighbors with more money than taste - you have had a week. I am particularly disturbed to hear about your PCA problem. I have been surprised how down-to-earth and nice the people in our local (NNJR) PCA chapter is. I was expecting all attitude and money. I am sure that there is the latter, but little of the former. Perhaps there is another local chapter that you can join? I would also send your comments on the mag. to the club office in Md. I wonder why there is such a discrepancy? BMW sells so many more cars and is a bigger, more sophisticated brand - I wonder if that just translates into a more insular club and more colloquial organization?

Anyway, here is wishing you, and us all, a better next week!
Thanks a lot for sharing the pain
I have not heard back about the minivan (knock on wood), none of my closest neighbors has a set of big-bling wheels (rather the opposite, they have good taste and drive a couple of 991's too), and I'll survive the PCA trauma.

To elaborate on the PCA thing, it is probably related to my own chapter. It is indeed not 'attitude and money' at all and this is a good thing. But it is all about living Porsche as a religion with a lot of gravitas, being extra/overly cautious during DE's (more than a number of very professional and experimented clubs), and organizing activities with members that are on average 20 or 30 years older than in other clubs. Nothing wrong about that either and I got to know several gentlemen who could be my father and yet were extremely open minded, friendly... and some darn fast around the track too
It is just that the overall style is not very cheerful and is certainly way to serious. I hang out at the track with Porsche (and other brands) friends that are in their early forties to mid fifties and we do not take ourselves seriously at all. We are just there to have fun with other petrolheads and love our cars but it does not have to go any further. The 'concours d'elegance' and PCA social events attract another category of people who I struggle to identify myself to

Maybe my chapter would become completely different with some fresh blood that would lighten up the atmosphere and enjoy driving the **** of their cars instead of pampering them. Time will tell!

Old 08-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Tom 991s
Very helpful ... now I have to figure out what to do...Fabspeed headers for sure; after that, seems hard to improve on PSE and still be streetable....
Fabspeed headers with 200 cell High-Flow catalytic converters are indeed a very good option. 10 to 15% more sound (still pretty much OK) an a bit more reactive throttle, I like them... but the fact of the matter is that I am selling them . I'll leave my 991 essentially stock (except for the BBK) as I travel a lot with it and may have other plans for the future.

So, if someone is interested in Fabspeed headers for $2000+shipping costs (they retail for $2,795), let me know. They should be in the classified next weekend.

PS: the FVD x-Pipe is for sale too by the way,

Old 08-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Looking for a nice toy car?

I have a second car (a 2012 VW GTI) that has been nicely upgraded:

-APR Stage 2 tune w/ 4 programs: valet / stock / sport-Stage 2 / sport with race gas. Probably close to 300hp max.
-APR Carbonio Cold Air Intake
-APR RSC Turbo-back Exhaust System
-Stop Tech 328mm Front Slotted BBK w/ Street Performance Pads
-H&R Street Performance Coilovers
-Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit
-SPM Front Sway Bar
-APR Rear Sway Bar
-BFI Torque Arm Insert
-Stage 3 Clutchmatser clutch
-TSW Nurburgring wheels
-AWE Tuning Boost Gauge w/ Boost Tap
-OEM Rear LED Golf R tail lights
-30% tint
-Black rear view mirrors

There is only 20,000 miles on the odometer and the car is a little bomb that has been well maintained and massively improved. I am not driving it much more (in fact my son uses it on a daily basis) and I am considering selling it 'as is' for about ~$25k.
I'd probably buy a (very) used M3 for the track or for giving the kid a car that can be abused on the college campus... or both.

Here are a couple of pics of this little german beast next to my red rocket:

Just in case some of you would be looking for a zippy and compact alternative to your P-car for yourself...or the family. PM me if interest!

Attached Images     
Old 08-28-2013, 09:13 PM
Fabspeed headers with 200 cell High-Flow catalytic converters are indeed a very good option. 10 to 15% more sound (still pretty much OK) an a bit more reactive throttle, I like them... but the fact of the matter is that I am selling them . I'll leave my 991 essentially stock (except for the BBK) as I travel a lot with it and may have other plans for the future.

So, if someone is interested in Fabspeed headers for $2000+shipping costs (they retail for $2,795), let me know. They should be in the classified next weekend.

PS: the FVD x-Pipe is for sale too by the way,
The FVD x-Pipe is sold and has shipped. The Fabspeed headers can now be found on the Marketplace: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3926449

Old 08-28-2013, 10:16 PM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
I'm actually playing with the idea of adding headers... how did you resolve the vacuum line / heat issue? I'd love to pick up a little more power, but I'm a little worried it will get too loud. Hmmm, gotta mull it over a bit.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
I'm actually playing with the idea of adding headers... how did you resolve the vacuum line / heat issue? I'd love to pick up a little more power, but I'm a little worried it will get too loud. Hmmm, gotta mull it over a bit.
If your are OK with the FVD exhaust, the headers only represent a very minimal increase in sound level. When I installed my FVD exhaust I had the headers on the car and thought that it was the combination of the two that made the car too loud. I reinstalled the stock headers... and realized nothing had changed. Hence why I ended up selling the exhaust!

Not saying this to sell my stuff though

Regarding the vacuum lines, FVD has sent new lines that seemed to be made of a different plastic material, more comprehensive shielding and a small piece of metal to attach the line to the car and keep it away from the exhaust.
It worked well and I did not have any issue.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:21 PM
carcam is infamous around these parts
I can confirm that this is an amazing car. I couldn't keep up with it during our Dragon run a few months ago. It looks and runs perfectly. Even with his friends in the car, Serges' son whooped a bunch of us.

Looking for a nice toy car?

I have a second car (a 2012 VW GTI) that has been nicely upgraded:

-APR Stage 2 tune w/ 4 programs: valet / stock / sport-Stage 2 / sport with race gas. Probably close to 300hp max.
-APR Carbonio Cold Air Intake
-APR RSC Turbo-back Exhaust System
-Stop Tech 328mm Front Slotted BBK w/ Street Performance Pads
-H&R Street Performance Coilovers
-Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit
-SPM Front Sway Bar
-APR Rear Sway Bar
-BFI Torque Arm Insert
-Stage 3 Clutchmatser clutch
-TSW Nurburgring wheels
-AWE Tuning Boost Gauge w/ Boost Tap
-OEM Rear LED Golf R tail lights
-30% tint
-Black rear view mirrors

There is only 20,000 miles on the odometer and the car is a little bomb that has been well maintained and massively improved. I am not driving it much more (in fact my son uses it on a daily basis) and I am considering selling it 'as is' for about ~$25k.
I'd probably buy a (very) used M3 for the track or for giving the kid a car that can be abused on the college campus... or both.

Here are a couple of pics of this little german beast next to my red rocket:

Just in case some of you would be looking for a zippy and compact alternative to your P-car for yourself...or the family. PM me if interest!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal