SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:42 PM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mtony
Sorry to see that Serge. I know Performing Imports does a lot of Porsche body work, but I've heard mixed things about them. For future reference, what shop do your friends recommend windboat?
It is Performance, always have heard good things about them. Of course like all service providers, you have to manage them and not let them manage you.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:42 PM
Tom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really niceTom 991s is just really nice
Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad the damage is minor compared to what it could have been. Be good to see how the track day insurance works out ... I usually go with lockton ...

Old 09-30-2013, 02:11 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thomapa1
yikes! alot of bad mojo there. I didn't see him point you by in the esses but it did look like he closed your gap aggressively. Group 4 (using PCA groups - Chin might classify differently)?

Problem is - you could not have predicted the future events. Nor might a wildly waving flag have slowed you down enough...hard to tell. It is what it is.

Ever think of just building a purpose built race car for ~$20k and track that all the time? Would not be the fastest / most modern - but you'll continue to learn and won't be as big an impact of you have to do repairs.
Here's the point by (guy not really sticking his hand out like he should...)

Not sure about PCA groups vs Chin. Only did PCA once. Chin only has 3 groups: green (novice), blue (intermediate) and red (advanced). My experience is that the Chin blue group runs as fast/faster than many advanced groups of other clubs and that drivers are a lot more confident to pass and be passed anywhere.

I already went down the road of a dedicated track car, but a nicely built 996 which in the end did not make much sense vs. the 991. I have already put thoughts into an E36 -or even E30- that I could wreck with no afterthoughts

PS: BTW, please change your avatar, it keeps me distracted

Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2013, 03:07 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
PS: BTW, please change your avatar, it keeps me distracted
I like the distraction, but it does mean I have to uh modify the viewing in case my wife looks. Which means no zooming on my end.

;-)

Old 09-30-2013, 03:56 PM
allans is infamous around these parts
Maybe 991 GT3 for sale at Hennessy ?

Old 09-30-2013, 06:03 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
One thing that I have learned and try to do remind myself, is that I tend to stay away from highly modded cars and race cars, because 9 out of 10 times if there is coolant or oil on the track in my experience, it comes from them.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:28 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by allans
Maybe 991 GT3 for sale at Hennessy ?
No, I will be strong and there will be no GT3 deliveries for a while...
Also with only limited body damage, it would not be enough of a good excuse

Old 09-30-2013, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by STALKER
One thing that I have learned and try to do remind myself, is that I tend to stay away from highly modded cars and race cars, because 9 out of 10 times if there is coolant or oil on the track in my experience, it comes from them.
You are very right. Race cars... and a 1970's Alfa Romeo during a previous event. Hard to prevent though, so being more cautious like you are is the right thing to do

Old 09-30-2013, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Chupacabra
I like the distraction, but it does mean I have to uh modify the viewing in case my wife looks. Which means no zooming on my end.

;-)
Only for Chup... if his wife is not around

PS: my apologies to Suzy and other female forum members if I offended them

Old 09-30-2013, 06:50 PM
allans is infamous around these parts
Serge, Any excuse is a good excuse for 991 GT3, no?

Old 09-30-2013, 06:52 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Only for Chup... if his wife is not around PS: my apologies to Suzy and other female forum members if I offended them
Ha!
Thanks and if I get into trouble, I'm blaming Thomapa1!!

Old 09-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Sunny_M3 is infamous around these partsSunny_M3 is infamous around these parts
Glad to hear that you are ok. You are extremely wise for getting track insurance. I know the car will be fixed properly and you will be back at the track in no time

As for the 991 GT3, I am going to make a crazy statement and say that you should keep your current 991 Carrera as a daily driver/occasional track car and buy a new 991 GT3 for full on track duties. Given your experience, I am sure that you will take full advantage of the GT3's awesomeness.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
Glad to hear that you are ok. You are extremely wise for getting track insurance. I know the car will be fixed properly and you will be back at the track in no time

As for the 991 GT3, I am going to make a crazy statement and say that you should keep your current 991 Carrera as a daily driver/occasional track car and buy a new 991 GT3 for full on track duties. Given your experience, I am sure that you will take full advantage of the GT3's awesomeness.
Thanks for the bold advice Sunny! With still 4 kids to put through college, I should probably not own more than one 911 at a time

The GT3 is indeed a beautiful machine and will give a run for its money to any other car. What I am going to say may sound a bit silly, but the GT3 is going to be so fast that it may get boring on the track. Here's my point: I consider myself at an 'intermediate level', but with the 991S, I probably only gave 3 or 4 point by's over the entire week end (to Nissan GTR's, the usual suspect). An even less experienced driver would probably fly around the track with the new GT3 and the interaction with other drivers (passing AND being passed) would be more limited. OK, ok, I may be trying to find excuses here I am so afraid that the 9,000 RPM's combined with more everyday drivability will make the GT3 irresistible

Old 09-30-2013, 10:30 PM
...I probably only gave 3 or 4 point by's over the entire week end (to Nissan GTR's, the usual suspect)...
Sorry for quoting myself, but I had forgotten about the two race prepped Ferrari 458s that were there too Being passed by them and seeing them taking off effortlessly in a beautiful engine noise was truly exhilarating!

Old 10-01-2013, 06:02 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
No worry about no GT3 delivery for while....Porsche is on the same page!

Sorry to see that shunt. Comes with the territory. But, in compensation- you are fine, the car had far less damage than in truely high risk driving (i.e., on the highway). It will be a "stone chip" memory (but a great story) before you know it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal