SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:36 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
The dreaded Porsche tax at work.
People say the same thing about Apple products and the 'Apple tax'. I'll pay both with a lot more pleasure than Obama taxes.

Sent from my Macbook

Old 01-20-2014, 01:54 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
I had the Cargraphic X pipe, which is very similar in design. (has a resonator and uses larger overall piping than the AWE).

I liked it a LOT on my coupe, but it was a bit too much on my cabriolet. I got a Cargraphic mufflered x pipe (looks very similar to PSE from the outside but much freer flowing), and I'm very happy with it from a sound level point of view. Closed, it's very similar to PSE (quieter than PSE open) but open, it's louder and more apparent but retains that sweet sound.

Curious to see what you think of the AWE setup! I did notice that the pipes leading to the bypass were smaller, which may quiet it a bit, relative to what I had. I did not like that the center is not a real x section, although not being an expert in fluid dynamics, that might not matter - you might get just as much scavenging from the joined u turns.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:00 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by kitw
I had the Cargraphic X pipe, which is very similar in design. (has a resonator and uses larger overall piping than the AWE).

I liked it a LOT on my coupe, but it was a bit too much on my cabriolet. I got a Cargraphic mufflered x pipe (looks very similar to PSE from the outside but much freer flowing), and I'm very happy with it from a sound level point of view. Closed, it's very similar to PSE (quieter than PSE open) but open, it's louder and more apparent but retains that sweet sound.

Curious to see what you think of the AWE setup! I did notice that the pipes leading to the bypass were smaller, which may quiet it a bit, relative to what I had. I did not like that the center is not a real x section, although not being an expert in fluid dynamics, that might not matter - you might get just as much scavenging from the joined u turns.
Would love to hear the new X-pipe you picked up, Kit. Also looking forward to Serge's clips of the SwitchPath. I was considering the SwitchPath, but the sound clips didn't do it for me.

Also, I'll be putting up my own PSE vs. Cargraphics X-pipe comparison video soon. I went ahead and picked up Kit's exhaust, so this should make for an interesting set of videos for all of us.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:13 PM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
Excellent I'm keen to hear your review. One of the CPOs I'm looking at has everything I want except PSE so this could be a solution.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:29 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Really looking forward to your review -- I am considering the SwitchPath as well. My C4S has only been in my garage now for 1.5 months and about 600 miles, so probably waiting until Spring. Good thing is that I actually live within 15 minutes of AWE (and even closer to FabSpeed!) shop here in Bucks County, PA. I plan on a trip over soon (to both shops, for comparison) for some in-person consulting about my modding plans....

Since I plan on doing the installation myself -- any chance you will be taking pics along the way, for all of us do-it-yourselfers out there?

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2014, 03:04 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jawells1
Really looking forward to your review -- I am considering the SwitchPath as well. My C4S has only been in my garage now for 1.5 months and about 600 miles, so probably waiting until Spring. Good thing is that I actually live within 15 minutes of AWE (and even closer to FabSpeed!) shop here in Bucks County, PA. I plan on a trip over soon (to both shops, for comparison) for some in-person consulting about my modding plans....

Since I plan on doing the installation myself -- any chance you will be taking pics along the way, for all of us do-it-yourselfers out there?

Good luck!
From what I have seen, the install is a simple bolt on. I will let my usual shop (Freed Performance) take care of the install tomorrow but I'll ask them to take pictures. It should be a simple DIY, but it is a lot easier when you have a lift

I have had good experience with the 991 Fabspeed headers, but they do not have a 'switchable' exhaust, which I really wanted. I have also had good experience in the past with AWE too and their SwitchPath exhaust looks well designed and good value for money. The other upside you have with AWE is that they could install the GIAC tune at the same time

Living in GA is nice for the weather, but being close to these guys is not bad either!

Old 01-20-2014, 03:43 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
From what I have seen, the install is a simple bolt on. I will let my usual shop (Freed Performance) take care of the install tomorrow but I'll ask them to take pictures. It should be a simple DIY, but it is a lot easier when you have a lift

I have had good experience with the 991 Fabspeed headers, but they do not have a 'switchable' exhaust, which I really wanted. I have also had good experience in the past with AWE too and their SwitchPath exhaust looks well designed and good value for money. The other upside you have with AWE is that they could install the GIAC tune at the same time

Living in GA is nice for the weather, but being close to these guys is not bad either!

It's actually really simple even on ramps. I just swapped for the Cargraphic yesterday, took about 2 hours. (including a run to the auto parts store for 3/16" fuel line hose - resists heat better than normal vacuum hose and a trip around the block with the kiddos to hear dad's new VROOM!)

(from memory)
- pull exhaust tips
- disconnect vacuum hoses - N/A for Base, in the center for factory PSE cars (clamped in place, a bit of a pain) or on the sides (for non PSE 3.8l S models)
- loosen clamps that hold center section to side mufflers (2x13mm OD nuts on either side)
- slide clamps fully onto side mufflers
- undo 3x12mm OD nuts per side, holding center muffler flange to headers/cats
- undo the allen bolt secured strap clamps, and slide off the hangers to the outside of the car.

Center section is now free to come down, this is a bit tricky. First, pull one side to the rear of the car, to remove from the studs in the header. Don't bang the studs up too much if you can avoid it.

When you have both sides off the studs, pull straight down. It's a tight fit but the muffler (both PSE and non-PSE) will come out. If you struggle here, you can remove the bumper and head shields and it's easier, but that adds a lot of time and effort.

Once out, the aftermarket units are NOT a tight fit and slip right in. You may need to run new vacuum lines, be sure to secure away from the muffler.

Reinstallation is a reverse of removal.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the tip of the fuel line hose. This one may come handy!

Old 01-20-2014, 05:29 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Thanks for the extra details!

Originally Posted by kitw
It's actually really simple even on ramps. I just swapped for the Cargraphic yesterday, took about 2 hours. (including a run to the auto parts store for 3/16" fuel line hose - resists heat better than normal vacuum hose and a trip around the block with the kiddos to hear dad's new VROOM!)

(from memory)
- pull exhaust tips
- disconnect vacuum hoses - N/A for Base, in the center for factory PSE cars (clamped in place, a bit of a pain) or on the sides (for non PSE 3.8l S models)
- loosen clamps that hold center section to side mufflers (2x13mm OD nuts on either side)
- slide clamps fully onto side mufflers
- undo 3x12mm OD nuts per side, holding center muffler flange to headers/cats
- undo the allen bolt secured strap clamps, and slide off the hangers to the outside of the car.

Center section is now free to come down, this is a bit tricky. First, pull one side to the rear of the car, to remove from the studs in the header. Don't bang the studs up too much if you can avoid it.

When you have both sides off the studs, pull straight down. It's a tight fit but the muffler (both PSE and non-PSE) will come out. If you struggle here, you can remove the bumper and head shields and it's easier, but that adds a lot of time and effort.

Once out, the aftermarket units are NOT a tight fit and slip right in. You may need to run new vacuum lines, be sure to secure away from the muffler.

Reinstallation is a reverse of removal.
One clarification to ask: In all other descriptions of swapping exhaust on the 991 the rear bumper is removed. Is it possible to do this without removing? I didn't think so.

Also- Perhaps from those who've done this before, if lifting the car with jack and putting on stands, is that high enough clearance to get the exhaust components on-and-off?

Thanks!

Old 01-20-2014, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by jawells1
Thanks for the extra details!

One clarification to ask: In all other descriptions of swapping exhaust on the 991 the rear bumper is removed. Is it possible to do this without removing? I didn't think so.

Also- Perhaps from those who've done this before, if lifting the car with jack and putting on stands, is that high enough clearance to get the exhaust components on-and-off?

Thanks!
I just backed the car up on ramps, doesn't need to be high at all.

And, I did it without removing the bumper. Tricky but not hard.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:45 PM
Don't miss Rolex 24 at Daytona this week end

Porsche has released the livery of the factory team cars:

Nick Tandy, Patrick Pilet and Richard Lietz in No. 911, Joerg Bergmeister, Patrick Long and Michael Christensen in No. 912. They are going to kick @ss.

If you check the lineup there are a LOT of 991's

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	12062753054_c95eb673cd_o.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	323391  
Old 01-20-2014, 08:49 PM
You have probably all seen this already (from last year), but I could not resist:

Old 01-20-2014, 09:12 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
People say the same thing about Apple products and the 'Apple tax'. I'll pay both with a lot more pleasure than Obama taxes.

Sent from my Macbook
Yeah but the Obama tax isn't avoidable.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:31 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
Don't miss Rolex 24 at Daytona this week end

Porsche has released the livery of the factory team cars:

Nick Tandy, Patrick Pilet and Richard Lietz in No. 911, Joerg Bergmeister, Patrick Long and Michael Christensen in No. 912. They are going to kick @ss.

If you check the lineup there are a LOT of 991's
zomg, I may have wet dreams tonight

Old 01-20-2014, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
Yeah but the Obama tax isn't avoidable.
Yep!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	12063418804_4f3a1055f9_o.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	323397   Click image for larger version

Name:	12068693415_81bbd0edbe_o.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	323440   Click image for larger version

Name:	12068693415_81636475f8_o.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	323445  

Last edited by SM_ATL; 01-21-2014 at 06:50 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal