SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:36 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
As far as headers and mufflers are concerned, I would be more cautious. I had asked the very same question to AWE and they legitimately responded that the system has been designed to work with OEM mufflers and headers. The system currently works great and does not cause any drone. Once you start replacing other components, there is a risk to alter the frequencies and create a drone issue (which can be worse in case you have PDK running in automatic mode and do not control your rpm's).
Sorry I'm a bit late to the party on this one, the ice storm up here wreaked havoc on our week.

Serge hit the nail on the head with his response. The 991 SwitchPath™ Exhaust was developed specifically to work with the stock headers and side mufflers, and frankly we were blown away with the results. It inspired us to create the Sound Satisfaction™ Guarantee, as it really is that good when used in conjunction with the stock headers and side mufflers. When you add different headers or side mufflers, it will yield different results that will not necessarily be better.

If anyone has any technical questions about the system, please reach out to me directly and I will get them answered as quickly as possible.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:34 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Found this video on Youtube. Nothing spectacular, but, for once, 991's pushed to the limit like it should: driving properly as fast as possible around a track (the 'ring in this case) instead of going sideways for the camera. The latest and greatest criteria to judge a car seems to be how nicely you can make it go sideways. It is not faster, it is not how the car is designed to perform best, so what???

Enjoy some good old trackline driving

Old 02-08-2014, 08:23 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Thanks for sharing! Enjoyed watching.

Like you, I am not impressed by drifting every corner and how fast a car can destroy tires....

Old 02-09-2014, 09:51 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
AWE SwitchPath exhaust sound

We have been on a quick mountain run early this Sunday and recorded a couple of video clips to give a better idea of the sound of the AWE SwitchPath exhaust.

The goal of the first video clip is to make you hear the difference between the 'quiet' and the 'loud' mode in the cabin. The quality of the recording is not great, but I think it shows that the quiet mode is comparable to stock and the loud mode is definitely more present than the PSE.

This second clip was recorded in loud mode only. Too much noise from the wind though.

In order to get a better sound quality, I mounted my GoPro on the rear bumper and used an external microphone:

By now you probably understand why I like this exhaust...

If you have more time, here is a full 7min clip...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	12421697874_cc9d10764a_z.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	331468   Click image for larger version

Name:	12421697874_cc9d10764a_z.jpg
Views:	2658
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	331469  
Old 02-09-2014, 09:56 PM
FLAT6KING is infamous around these partsFLAT6KING is infamous around these parts
AWE SwitchPath exhaust sound We have been on a quick mountain run early this Sunday and recorded a couple of video clips to give a better idea of the sound of the AWE SwitchPath exhaust. The goal of the first video clip is to make you hear the difference between the 'quiet' and the 'loud' mode in the cabin. The quality of the recording is not great, but I think it shows that the quiet mode is comparable to stock and the loud mode is definitely more present than the PSE. Video Link: http://youtu.be/30Pm_hFkjXM This second clip was recorded in loud mode only. Too much noise from the wind though. Video Link: http://youtu.be/aflD1TwyDkc In order to get a better sound quality, I mounted my GoPro on the rear bumper and used an external microphone: Video Link: http://youtu.be/QWpb0nnkEUI By now you probably understand why I like this exhaust... If you have more time, here is a full 7min clip... Video Link: http://youtu.be/8FdH1vXxYfM
Nice! Sounds good!!!

Old 02-10-2014, 12:39 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
It's good exhaust but sound from outside seems to be a little bit pitchy vs pse....how'd you compare with pse??

Old 02-10-2014, 05:21 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Love it. Thanks for another great post! The AWE is growing on me -- I thought for sure I was gonna go Fabspeed, but now not so sure!

Old 02-10-2014, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by jawells1
Love it. Thanks for another great post! The AWE is growing on me -- I thought for sure I was gonna go Fabspeed, but now not so sure!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Fester
It's good exhaust but sound from outside seems to be a little bit pitchy vs pse....how'd you compare with pse??
Inside the car, the 'sound' is very similar to PSE. A little bit louder in quiet mode (but not a concern as you can keep listening to music or have a conversation like before. It remains very comfortable for daily driving) and significantly louder in loud mode.

Outside the car, the difference with PSE is even more noticeable. When you go up in the revs, the exhaust has indeed a higher pitch than PSE, but, from what AWE told me, it is intentional as it is something that people like (check the iPE exhaust that makes the car sound like a Formula 1 in their videoclips) AND to avoid drone by slightly shifting the sound to higher frequencies.
You definitely get a lot more pops and crackles on deceleration, but that's OK for me (again, most people like this).

Like anything OEM, PSE is calibrated to work perfectly for a mixed use by the average (sporty) driver of the car. I wanted something remaining quiet enough for daily driving -or driving around the neighborhood- and noticeably more aggressive when pushing the car but without sounding obnoxious (my previous experiments with an x-pipe or muffler delete had been unsuccessful from that standpoint). Mission accomplished for me, but it is all a matter of personal preferences too.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:22 AM
FLAT6KING is infamous around these partsFLAT6KING is infamous around these parts
Thanks! Inside the car, the 'sound' is very similar to PSE. A little bit louder in quiet mode (but not a concern as you can keep listening to music or have a conversation like before. It remains very comfortable for daily driving) and significantly louder in loud mode. Outside the car, the difference with PSE is even more noticeable. When you go up in the revs, the exhaust has indeed a higher pitch than PSE, but, from what AWE told me, it is intentional as it is something that people like (check the iPE exhaust that makes the car sound like a Formula 1 in their videoclips) AND to avoid drone by slightly shifting the sound to higher frequencies. You definitely get a lot more pops and crackles on deceleration, but that's OK for me (again, most people like this). Like anything OEM, PSE is calibrated to work perfectly for a mixed use by the average (sporty) driver of the car. I wanted something remaining quiet enough for daily driving -or driving around the neighborhood- and noticeably more aggressive when pushing the car but without sounding obnoxious (my previous experiments with an x-pipe or muffler delete had been unsuccessful from that standpoint). Mission accomplished for me, but it is all a matter of personal preferences too.
Serge,

Why are so many people concerned about other people's thoughts of what their exhaust sounds like? You mentioned you did not want your exhaust to be obnoxious but what if that is what you liked? I think exhaust choices should be your choice and your neighbors should not be a factor in your choice. I'm not talking about you per say but many in this thread speak on what people would think and I'm not that guy. I'm already thinking cold air box, GMG headers, GMG exhaust, for the GT3 that I am looking for and I know it's going to be loud and that is what I want. I'm even thinking about how I can sneak some racing headers on the car. My point is we should set the cars up for us not for the people around us. Yes, don't do dumb crap like rev it to Jesus at 8:00am Saturday morning, just use common sense and enjoy your car. Am I correct in saying that?

Old 02-10-2014, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by FLAT6KING
Serge,

Why are so many people concerned about other people's thoughts of what their exhaust sounds like? You mentioned you did not want your exhaust to be obnoxious but what if that is what you liked? I think exhaust choices should be your choice and your neighbors should not be a factor in your choice. I'm not talking about you per say but many in this thread speak on what people would think and I'm not that guy. I'm already thinking cold air box, GMG headers, GMG exhaust, for the GT3 that I am looking for and I know it's going to be loud and that is what I want. I'm even thinking about how I can sneak some racing headers on the car. My point is we should set the cars up for us not for the people around us. Yes, don't do dumb crap like rev it to Jesus at 8:00am Saturday morning, just use common sense and enjoy your car. Am I correct in saying that?
I totally get your point. It is YOUR car, and you do what you want with it while exercising good judgement.

When I mentioned 'obnoxious', my previous experiments were loud to the point that it was unbearable for me (inside the car) and that it also created too much distraction for other drivers. When you start seeing the guys in front of you panicking because they hear you in their back and other cars randomly using the brakes by fear of not knowing where this loud sound comes from, there is also a safety concern (this was the case when I had the loudest exhaust combo).

I personally have no issue getting 'noticed' (even though it is not my goal), but again, I wanted to keep a balance between DD and track day sound
Looks like your GT3 is going to be quite something BTW! I would give a little bit of time before starting the mods on the car and let others 'debug' the GT3 aftermarket options. Easier said than done, I have never been able to resist myself...

PS: on a more anecdotal note, I was going to a track day several months ago with one of my loudest setup stuck in (very) loud mode. I was not going necessarily quick, but I drove by a Dunkin' Donuts where another track guy was having breakfast. Next to him was a cop who did not really appreciate my melody and stated that he would have jumped in his car and pulled me over if he had not just started eating his donuts
You already have a bullseye on your back when you drive a red P-car. When it is loud, it is even worse. Not that you do anything different if you are not breaking the law

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	12436936283_8a9b417c0d_o.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	331519  

Last edited by SM_ATL; 02-10-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:50 AM
I totally get your point. It is YOUR car, and you do what you want with it while exercising good judgement. When I mentioned 'obnoxious', my previous experiments were loud to the point that it was unbearable for me (inside the car) and that it also created too much distraction for other drivers. When you start seeing the guys in front of you panicking because they hear you in their back and other cars randomly using the brakes by fear of not knowing where this loud sound comes from, there is also a safety concern (this was the case when I had the loudest exhaust combo). I personally have no issue getting 'noticed' (even though it is not my goal), but again, I wanted to keep a balance between DD and track day sound Looks like your GT3 is going to be quite something BTW! I would give a little bit of time before starting the mods on the car and let others 'debug' the GT3 aftermarket options. Easier said than done, I have never been able to resist myself... PS: on a more anecdotal note, I was going to a track day several months ago with one of my loudest setup stuck in (very) loud mode. I was not going necessarily quick, but I drove by a Dunkin' Donuts where another track guy was having breakfast. Next to him was a cop who did not really appreciate my melody and stated that he would have jumped in his car and pulled me over if he had not just started eating his donuts You already have a bullseye on your back when you drive a red P-car. When it is loud, it is even worse. Not that you do anything different if you are not breaking the law
Yeah, that cop was a jerk. F-car guys vehicles are louder than ours yet no one has a problem with the prancing horse. I'm talking about a 997.2 like you used to own. Hennessy has a black one there right now. I want PCCB and axle lift and white gauges. Seems hard to find the right car.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by FLAT6KING
Yeah, that cop was a jerk. F-car guys vehicles are louder than ours yet no one has a problem with the prancing horse. I'm talking about a 997.2 like you used to own. Hennessy has a black one there right now. I want PCCB and axle lift and white gauges. Seems hard to find the right car.
Mine was a 997.1. A 997.2 is the way to go (except for the center wheel locks that are a pain in the neck if you plan on swapping wheels). I would not be too hung up on PCCB's. I had them on my GT3, but the BBK I now have on the 991 works just as well with the proper pads. But again, it is a matter of personal preference...

It is going to be pretty hard to find the car you are looking for with these exact specs. Maybe the axle lift and white gauges could be a mods after you buy the car? Good luck with your search!

Old 02-10-2014, 09:01 AM
Mine was a 997.1. A 997.2 is the way to go (except for the center wheel locks that are a pain in the neck if you plan on swapping wheels). I would not be too hung up on PCCB's. I had them on my GT3, but the BBK I now have on the 991 works just as well with the proper pads. But again, it is a matter of personal preference... It is going to be pretty hard to find the car you are looking for with these exact specs. Maybe the axle lift and white gauges could be a mods after you buy the car? Good luck with your search!
Yeah, I agree I was even thinking about wrapping the car in white if I found the right car in the wrong color. But where do they do that in Atlanta? No rush we have to buy another home first so I have some time before I pull the trigger.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:40 AM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
Serge, exhaust really sounds nice. From the sound clips you posted, would it be fair to assume you are pleased with your external Mic? Have you recorded anything with your GoPro and Mic at the front of your car yet? Just curious, as I am considering getting one for my GoPro. Thanks!

Old 02-10-2014, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by dhill911
Serge, exhaust really sounds nice. From the sound clips you posted, would it be fair to assume you are pleased with your external Mic? Have you recorded anything with your GoPro and Mic at the front of your car yet? Just curious, as I am considering getting one for my GoPro. Thanks!
It worked fine at the back of the car, but I did not have the opportunity to check it at the front of the car (tow hook level) or on the roof yet. I am afraid there will still be quite a bit of wind noise above 60 mph (personal guess).

I'll be at the track the week after next and will check how it performs at different speeds (or maybe I'll take it for a quick spin on the highway before that, but we are getting ready for the Atlanta Snowpocalypse v2.0 right now).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal