SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:43 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Got the pricing and these forged wheels are stupid cheap (<$500) and very light. I'll probably give it a try in 20" for a while (I'll just buy a set and transfer my P-Zero on them).

The friend of mine running the 997 C2S had bought the same wheels over the week end (had not talked to him but he was at the wheels shop and liked them too) and got them mounted in 19" on his car:

The wheels are covered with brake dust and the pics are not very good, but they look great in reality. Most of the guys we saw were asking if they were P40's . My buddy was pleased with the wheels on the track. One more reason to give t a try...
even with brake dust those wheels would look better on your white car than on the black one pictured. as i said before black wheels on a black car look best with a thin silver pinstripe on the black wheels. on white cars an all black wheels makes a nice contrats, but that´s just my 0,02$.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Great review, I'm surprised you found it too soft in the corners.
I don't remember if you've got S-PASM but you've got the lip so I would assume you do.
Really though the S-PASM's 20mm lowered ride and harder springs would have firmed it up enough.

Can't wait to get mine
I love this car!!!!

Old 03-05-2012, 05:53 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
My new friend BOB

I had mentioned in a previous post that the 'auto stop/start' function caused my radar detector to reinitialise at every Traffic light and go through its noisy startup sequence (the voltage probably drops below 10V making the V1 believe it has been turned off).

Valentine has fortunately come out with a little device (called BOB for Brown-out Booster) that resolves the problem. Probably nothing else than a capacitor but nicely packaged, inexpensive and can easily be tucked in the fuse box if your V1 is hardwired.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6957487859/

Old 03-05-2012, 07:06 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Any other track day notes? Thanks

Old 03-05-2012, 07:10 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AG991
Any other track day notes? Thanks
Working on it, but editing some GoPro footage first
Thanks for asking. What I will share for now is that the 991S was amazing and only a Godzilla-GTR was faster around the track.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:28 PM
carcommander is infamous around these parts
I never put any of my sports cars in automated car wash. BTW I buy my Porsches at Hennessy too. I did buy the wheel and tire insurance. I am in downtown Atlanta a lot and it is easy to bend a wheel. It was pretty cheap.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:34 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for asking. What I will share for now is that the 991S was amazing and only a Godzilla-GTR was faster around the track.
Great. I will wait for more. After what you have said already about the 991 on the track, I can't wait for my track days this year - Thunderbolt in June and VIR in November with the local PCA chapter. BTW, I figured out how to post my build as you requested earlier in the thread. Pictures will have to wait for delivery.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by carcommander
I never put any of my sports cars in automated car wash. BTW I buy my Porsches at Hennessy too. I did buy the wheel and tire insurance. I am in downtown Atlanta a lot and it is easy to bend a wheel. It was pretty cheap.
I will for sure not do it anymore. Handwash only from now on!
I got the tire + wheel insurance too. Good deal. 1 tire damaged = cost of the insurance.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Great. I will wait for more. After what you have said already about the 991 on the track, I can't wait for my track days this year - Thunderbolt in June and VIR in November with the local PCA chapter. BTW, I figured out how to post my build as you requested earlier in the thread. Pictures will have to wait for delivery.
I'll check the VIR event in November. Definitely want to go there

Old 03-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Black wheels on the car tomorrow AM (provided that the offset options are OK). Yipee!

Old 03-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Black wheels on the car tomorrow AM (provided that the offset options are OK). Yipee!
Please say there will be pictures! I like my build, but all of these great shots of white cars with black wheels are making me doubt my selection.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Please say there will be pictures! I like my build, but all of these great shots of white cars with black wheels are making me doubt my selection.
There will be a few crappy iPhone pics tomorrow night if the wheels are on the car

Old 03-06-2012, 09:18 PM
So here's the first draft of my iMovie video of this week end. It shows two laps around the track under different angles (footages from 4 different sessions have been used as i only have one GoPro ).
The sound is terrible, but I have not found a way to do a better job with a GoPro. I am waiting for more footages from friends and professional pictures of the car on the track to finalize.

Meanwhile, enjoy watching the 991 as it passes Aston Martin's, BMW 650i, M3's and a bunch of old bimmers.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Black Wheels - Preparation

Just received black OEM center caps for the black wheels.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6960830369/
Can't wait to be at the wheel shop tomorrow AM!

Old 03-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
LOOKS GOOD!

Since you're putting in the time to edit your clips, here's a little industry "trick" (low tech version).
For one lap (or more), put your camera inside the car (or some other "strategic" place) purely to get the best audio quality.
Then when editing, sink this audio track up with you footage.

You'll be able to present the full experience.

Regardless, good job!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal